Living in Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidredbank

Feb 14, 2012
Hi, I have read quite a few posts about the cost of living in DR......My questions is simply this for 2012: I am thinking of retiring and re-locating, possibly to DR. My annual income would be about $35,000 usdollars a year. I would be renting at first; is it possible as a single person to live comfortably in a nice location on that income? Thanks, Dave

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
there are tons of threads and posts on this... but basically the answer to your question is yes... you can live well on that.

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
Alot of Dominican families live off wayyyy less than that(something like maybe $250/mo, plus supporting maybe 5-7 in a houshold)) so you should be just fine but as far as nice location is concerned i couldnt tell what a nice location is over there its all so beautiful.

unemployment rate is like %15 in RD so ur gonna make alot of new friends QUICK lol

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Alot of Dominican families live off wayyyy less than that(something like maybe $250/mo, plus supporting maybe 5-7 in a houshold)) so you should be just fine but as far as nice location is concerned i couldnt tell what a nice location is over there its all so beautiful.

unemployment rate is like  in RD so ur gonna make alot of new friends QUICK lol

Yes, you an look forward to a 1000-2000 sq. ft luxury villa with swimming pool on the beach in a private estate, two or three servants, chartering a plane for trips round the island, caviar, champagne, lobster, eating out at luxury restaurants frequently, maybe a yacht in the marina. Roads are a bit rough for some luxury cars, something like a BMW SUV should suit.

pi2

Whats so hard about at least attempting to answer the mans question? It is a legit question. Rep Dom And pi2 you are morons to answer the guy like that.

Dave to answer your question yes you can live on 35k a year in the DR in a decent area. Alot depends on your life style. Tell us what your looking for and your life style and many posters here can help you out. Ohh and Welcome to DR1

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
ok, ok, a bit of humour is possible, dont U think? And my post with :) meant clearly I didnt mean to be foolish or aggressive... :) just keep cool please

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Although each person's definition of "comfortable" may vary I would not hesistate to say that you can support a single person of moderate habits quite well with that amount guarenteed each year in US dollars.

davidredbank

Feb 14, 2012
Thank you for answering my question with dignity---much appreciated. I am NOT wealthy and I am not looking to live in a Villa. I am just checking out possibilities for re-location out of New Jersey USA. I just want a modest, clean and safe place to live and adapt to a new culture/environment. I am not planning or would I be searching for employment; so that's not a problem. Just want something decent in an area that offers a healthy lifestyle. An apartment with modest amenities; like water and an air conditioner in the bedroom. Thanks again to those of you who use your time to respond in a serious manner. The rest of you ; have your laughs---it's all good :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
David, Please tell us what a good area means to you. Is it the seaside or the mountains? Maybe a city or small town? Nothing but natives or full or expats? Would you be happy in a condo or need a house? Etc. Then we can provide more information.

Renting is the way to go. Check out various areas before you settle down. I don't see a problem if you have that level of income in after tax dollars.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Dave, I wasnt laughing at U :) my answer was a way to say yes with 35000 us$ per year, you'll be perfectly fine in RD, in a decent area. :) Average income in RD is 300 us$ a month, often less. Yours is 10 times more...

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
DR is a second world country - like Thailand for example - Haiti , Angola , Liberia etc. are third world.

pi 2

WRONG! as the terms were originally coined:

First world = U.S. + NATO allies and industrialized, high income neutral countries, (mostly under western influence).
Second world = former USSR and communist bloc
Third World = everyone else

modern use / definition

First World = large industrialized, high income / high GNP democratic nations (mostly referring to N.America, W.Europe... but not exclusively.

Second World = industrialized COMMUNIST countries

Third world = mostly everyone else.

Last I heard... The D.R. is still a democracy, unless you have some of your special information as to a secret coup. Again, YanaPi... you should engage your brain before putting your mouth into gear.

AND I WON'T EVEN GO INTO YOUR RIDICULOUS DESCRIPTION OF A 35K LIFESTYLE. That nonsense pretty much speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Thank you for answering my question with dignity---much appreciated. I am NOT wealthy and I am not looking to live in a Villa. I am just checking out possibilities for re-location out of New Jersey USA. I just want a modest, clean and safe place to live and adapt to a new culture/environment. I am not planning or would I be searching for employment; so that's not a problem. Just want something decent in an area that offers a healthy lifestyle. An apartment with modest amenities; like water and an air conditioner in the bedroom. Thanks again to those of you who use your time to respond in a serious manner. The rest of you ; have your laughs---it's all good :)

With that kind of money you cal live very comfortable in the DR. Have you ever been to the DR?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Cost of living in DR

David:

I live on the northeast coast on the Samana Peninsula in Las Terrenas, which is a beach community with a large European and North American population. You can rent a nice apartment here for anywhere from $700-1200us a month. Electricity will run you $85- 200us depending on the time of year and if you are running air conditioning. Food per week will cost you $100 plus depending on how many people. Gas for a vehicle is currently around $5.25 a gallon us. If you want to buy a vehicle, a good used suv will run around $10,000us. If you need any other info send me a private message.

S

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
First/second/third world are old concepts.

The DR is a "developing" nation.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Whats so hard about at least attempting to answer the mans question? It is a legit question. Rep Dom And pi2 you are morons to answer the guy like that.

Dave to answer your question yes you can live on 35k a year in the DR in a decent area. Alot depends on your life style. Tell us what your looking for and your life style and many posters here can help you out. Ohh and Welcome to DR1

And tell us if the $35 000 is before or after taxes .

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
There you go again with your stupid answers. Sigue, sigue. Tell the OP to climb the tree to pick up some cocos and so on and so on

Last edited by a moderator:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Yes, you an look forward to a 1000-2000 sq. ft luxury villa with swimming pool on the beach in a private estate, two or three servants, chartering a plane for trips round the island, caviar, champagne, lobster, eating out at luxury restaurants frequently, maybe a yacht in the marina. Roads are a bit rough for some luxury cars, something like a BMW SUV should suit.

pi2

What are you smoking ???:dead:

I am originally from Africa, from a country way poorer than DR and you would need more than 35k to live the lifestyle you just described.

This is not funny anymore.

First, second, third world countries are obsolete terms, get on with the times.

Status
Not open for further replies.