• Thread starter "The Tourist Watcher"
  • Start date

Santo Domingo:World Class City

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

A few people have argued with me about a comment I made about Santo Domingo being a world class city. What is a world class city? First it has to be among the World 100 largest cities population wise. Second, it should be a modern metropolis with at least 500,000 vehicles. It should have one of the best communications systems in the world with its own Telecommunications network serving an entire nation and rammifications abroad. It should be highly computerized with a network of internet communications. It should have a large international port either by sea or airport with major ship traffic, and its airline traffic should be of world class proportions and a leader in its area.

Here are the facts: With over 140 countries in the world and tens of thousands big cities Santo Domingo is the 72nd. largest city in the world with 3,600,000 inhabitants(source:World Atlas.com top 100 cities) Santo Domingo is larger than every city in the United States except New York,LA,Chicago,Philadelphia,San Francisco,Washington, Houston,Dallas, and Detroit. That is bigger than more than 95% of the cities in the USA. In Canada only Toronto has more people.London is the only British city larger. In Germany only Essen and Frankfort are bigger.In Italy only Rome and Milano are bigger. Surprisingly enough, for those who do not believe it, Santo Domingo is bigger than Caracas.Santo Domingo is bigger than Montreal, Berlin, Dusseldorf and has equally as many cars as any of these cities. Santo Domingo will continue its incredible growth and potentially in 20 years may be the 30th. largest city in the world.

Santo Domingo has the largest Porsche dealer in Latin America, which proves its world class in purchasing power. It has been called the Mercedes Benz capital of Latin America and its has more expensive SUVs than most cities in the world. Santo Domingo has more radio stations than 95% of the cities of the world. In fact, it has so many that the government is closing dozens every month to be able to clear the airwaves.

Santo Domingo has a Vatican Embassy in a major structure, something that few countries in the world can claim. It has a Cardinal who might well be a candidate to replace the Pope. It has a world class cathedral with the remains of Columbus and its colonial and art deco zone(Gazcue)is one of the biggest in the world.Both have been named World Patrimony by the UN.

Santo Domingo is so important that American Airlines is fighting every airline in the world to try to monopolize the largest air traffic of any ethnic group in the world. In fact, Dominicans abroad flying into Santo Domingos Airport is such a huge market that they bring in excess of$2 billion dollars a year.

Almost everywhere in the city of Santo Domingo the most common sight is a cellular phone, putting this city in the top 25 cities in the world in cellular communications, some believe is in the top 10. That is world class.

What is world class? Any city where an apartment in its Central area can command prices exceeding $500,000 to $1,000,000 dollars and there are people lining up to buy them. A city where there are houses as expensive or more expensive than Beverly Hills, and there are lines of people ready to buy them. Any city where marble floor are common place in house and apartments. Any city where there are as many international boutiques as Chicago or Dallas,or Houston. How many cities in the world have the largest Liz Clairborne Boutique in the world. How many have Hugo Boss,Polo Ralph Lauren,Tommy Hilfiger,Nautica, Guess,Oscar De La Renta,Cartier and Gianni Versace boutiques. This is only reserved for big money cities.

Santo Domingo has exclusive Jaguar, BMW,Mercedes Benz,Porsche dealerships and sells almost every exclusive luxury car in the world. You do not have to special-order cars like Lamborghini,Aston Martins,Ferraris,Rovers because we have them in stock and selling like hot potatoes.

Now does anybody want to continue arguing wether or not Santo Domingo is a world class city? Someone, suggested that only in the USA and Europe you can find world class cities. Well, how come millions of Europeans and Americans are flying to Santo Domingo? The fact of the matter is, that immigration wise, there is for instance the myth that there are more Dominicans in Europe than Europeans in Dominican Republic. Wrong! There are more Spaniards in Dominican Republic than Dominicans in Spain. More English and more Germans live here than Dominicans there. Why? Are we world class or what?

More multinationals are moving to Santo Domingo outpacing many cities in this hemisphere and its banking system is as powerful as any in Latin America.

I lived in many US cities for many years, and I can attest that Santo Domingo has more, larger and better supplied supermarkets than most of the cities of the world, including as many as the city of Chicago. Some Santo Domingos supermarkets dwarf supermarkets in New York city. Carrefour for example, is as big as any Pathmark Supermarket in New York and Chicago, LA, Dallas or Houston have no store matching that size. Few cities in the world can claim having a Price Mart. Why did they move here? What is it about Santo Domingo that has every major fast food chain in the world coming here.

So, what is world class then? You may not like Santo Domingos garbage, its slums, its disorganized ways, but its got power, world power.

F

FRED

Best communication, telephones that dont work, water that doesent work, garbarge, roads that lead to nowhere, crime, police corruption and brutality, rampant prostitution.

A banking system that is so corrput that depositors are taking out their money in droves.

Who are you kidding?

F

FRED

Plus thousands of Dominicans lining up at every conceivable embassy trying to get out of the place. Foreigners selling their assets because they can no longer make a decent living.

H

Henry

Lamborghinis, Aston Martin, Ferraris, Rovers on stock!!! Where and for whom??? I live in Sto Dgo and know of only one poor Ferrari in town which is completly lost - no roads to drive it on (to many holes) and who does the service on it - a dominican??? I got a ten year old Mitsubishi jeep and I am happy the mecanics didnt break it yet! (Even they tried!)

Apartments for over a million USD???????????????????????? Where for the hell is that, I think you missed the latest crash in real estate sellings anyway!

So please explain what is selling like hot potatos, because lots of foreigners are stuck with their busniess / houses etc. and can't sell and leave!

Henry

S

Stephen Hadley

Re: Santo Domingo:Over priced real estate

I have noticed a consistant tendancy in the DR to over price real estate. It isnt worth that much unless someone is willing to pay that much for it.

In a recent transaction I was involved in, I man I know was attempting to subdivide a field and sell off the building lots. After selling off 2-3 lots at a high price, he decided that the lots were undervalued and jacked up the price (double). To the best of my knowledge he hasnt sold a lot since....

I suppose I could say then that my lot has doubled in value but who is going to buy it? Maybe some poor sucker... but it really isnt worth that amount.....

I also see farm land advertised for 10 times what its actual value as a farm business. You can't run a farm on 5$/meter realestate.... you would be better off with your money in the bank....

D

DR-VETERAN

Re: Santo Domingo:World Class City/Fred

what do you mean:banking system is corrupt and depositors are taking out their money in droves.

F

FRED

Re: DRVeteran

Do you really believe that your money is safe in banks in the DR. In order for banks to attract depositors they must pay a certain rate of interest. American Canadian, European banks pay a lower rate of interest because your money is safe.

However, in the DR rates of interest tend to be high on savings accounts, primarily due to the fact that depositing money in these banks is not safe.

A few years ago the banks seized everyones savings accounts, because people were lining up to make withdrawals.

J

John

the best joke of the day !thanks TW!

Tourist watcher must be a Dreaaaaamer. who never been out of santo domingo.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Fred:World Class misinformation

Just like there are world class cities, there is also world class misinformation, such as what you just stated.

If all these attributes are true to deny world class status to Santo Domingo, then there are no world class cities.Let me give some examples.

1)Rio de Janeiro just had a protest march so big that it would dwarf a Dominican political campaign rally by the PRD, protesting for the "12 hour apagones" in that metropolis and countrywide blackouts in Brazil. Let it be said that Rio de Janeiro one of the favorite cities of the world has more slums and ghettos than Santo Domingo, and their ghettos are so poor that they lack block and cement construction, which our ghettos have intermingled with wooden shacks. Rio has mostly illiterate indigenas living in these shanty towns and "favelas" whereas even in Capotillo, people can read newspapers and discuss political issues with great clarity. Police corruption in Rio, Brazilia and Sao Paulo, its business center, makes our corruption look like children playing handball. Garbage is all over, crime with their "palomos" and glue sniffing wonders being close to professional thieves with guns. To tell you about their prostitution would insult your intelligence.

2)New York City is the slum capital of the world, the highest crime rate of any top city, and police corruption so vast that several high police officers have been indicted for it making international history. Their brutality is world class. A Haitian citizen was tortured by white police officers and indicted for this crime. Dominicans are beaten and abused everyday by the Police Department, not to mention discrimination against blacks. Garbage in New York is famous, in fact, when they have garbage problems, no city in the world can match its intensity. No wonder so many deadly viruses like meningitis are attacking its suburbs in Long island. Granted, New York water is the best in the world, but NYC has more prostitution than Santo Domingo, including their downtown area on 42nd.St., all along Eight Avenue, Seventh Avenue, The Village, Soho area, 14th. Street, and can easily be found in all neighborhoods in houses of prostitution easily accessible to all.NYC is the #1 consumer of drugs in the world. The only city where heroin is as prevalent as cocaine.The only city I know where young women were raped in its Central Park by mobs in front of TV cameras. Mice and roaches so big and hungry that can only be compared to Calcutta, India.

3)Mexico City: The smog capital of the world, so polluted by acid rain and carbon monoxide that breathing is almost impossible. A sinking city, where its main Cathedral is being jacked up with mechanical supports to prevent it from going down. One of the cities with the biggest case of extreme poverty and dispair. Peasants leaving their farmlands for lack of opportunities are crowding this huge metropolis, perhaps a city doomed to destruction by all kinds of the same problems you decry about Santo Domingo, but worse. And it may collapse again in a major earthquake.The power center of the most corrupt polititians in Latin America and the seat of power of one of the longest dictatorships in Latin history(They called it democracy)

4)Chicago: Its slums in Cabrini Green, the South Side and uptown are heavily infected with crime. Young gangs like the Latin Kings are creating havoc in Little Village, its Mexican Community where drugs and crime are rampant. Its Puerto Rican Communtiy along Milwaukee Avenue is a drug haven. Even a TV series was made of Cabrini Green depicting this life of discrimination of blacks by its Police Department, one of the most corrupt in the world, next to the Los Angeles PD. Its polititians like Mayor Richard Daley are world known for their under the table political deals and one of their most illustrious "citizens", Dan Rostenkowski was recently disgraced and put in jail, and shamelessly given a pardon after serving several years by Bill Clinton. This is typical of Chicago Politics. The water in Chicago has to be purified in a special treatment plant because its source, Lake Michigan is highly polluted with PCBs and other cancerous chemicals. Fish are dying of molecular diseases caused by these caustic agents. Prostitution in Chicago is more easily accessible than in Santo Domingo. In fact, all along Lake Street, Wells Street and the Cabrini Green area prostitutes solicit people right on the streets and policemen charge their "fare". Their prostitutes are sometimes half naked. On Wells Street there are gay clubs where sex acts are conducted openly in the dance floor.

5)Los Angeles, California: What can I say about this city with the most corrupt police department in America. Where citizen beatings, false arrests, false placing of drugs on innocent citizens are everyday occurrences. The capital of prostitution on the West coast with its famous Wilshire Boulevard where prostitutes practicly jump into your cars if you leave your doors open. A city infected with gang crime, discrimination against Latins and temporary farm laborers, shootings both by gangs and police and one of the highest rates of AIDS infection in America, second only to San Francisco and Newark, one of the them also a World Class City. Los Angeles has no water...period. It has blackouts as long as Santo Domingo in their ghetto areas and it is under emergency energy controls because its power sources have not enough energy to supply its citizens. Los Angeles is a disaster waiting to happen. Threatened besides by earthquakes, brush fires and mudslides every summer. Its air as polluted as Mexico City and Denver, Colorado.

I can tell you about many more world class cities that have similar problems as Santo Domingo. That does not stop them from being world class. I can tell you things about some other world class cities that make Santo Domingo look like a paradise, just a few: Calcutta,Cairo,Rome,Bogota,Caracas,San Juan,Havana,New Delhi,Shangai,Lagos,Lima,Moscow,Tel Aviv,Hanoi,Djakarta, and many more with dirty water,traffic disorders,rat and roach infestation on their main streets,thousands of beggars and mutilated people, aids patients walking freely on their streets, city guerrillas and gansters, civil and religious wars, electricity problems, police and government corruption, garbage up to their necks and teenage prostitues openly seeking sex in their streets.

Anybody who thinks these social problems are exclusive of Santo Domingo has never traveled or lived abroad or does not keeps well informed.

F

FRED

I very well realize that these cities also have many problems, I have visited Mexico City, Rio, New York, Chicago and LA and found none of them to my liking.

Compare these cities and SD to Toronto, Montreal, Melbourne, Vienna, Zurich, and you will see the difference.

I

D

DR-VETERAN

Re: DRVeteran

ok so really have no true information of a corrupt bank.neither do i.but i can state so much that over all the years i have mantained business with local banks i did not feel all so bad or insecure about them. the system is a lot better than you think.
the case you are reffering must have happened more than 10 years ago.and why not.in order to avoid a run on a bank payments maybe slowed down to a certain amount a day.any stock exchange would do the same if a companystock would face danger of elimination or has rumors of insider trading.these things happen everywhere and to the good of the customer.
now high interest rates may be tough on everybody but that is the system here and it seems to be working in one way or another.
calculate U$ 100,000,00 10 years ago changed to pesos with the going exchangerate at the time collecting an average of 19% yearly do you know how many U$ you would have despite exchange rate loss?you still would be way ahead.put all the peso interest in real estate and you would own half a dozen or more of the most expensive apartments in this "world class Town".
from today's perspective you want be able to tell what the future holds but than who knows.

on the other post you are really comparing onions withs carrots as all these "world class towns" are in a league by themself.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Fred and Toronto,World class ice box

Fred, 400,000 Canadians a year do no think like you. They come here year after year to enjoy Santo Domingo and its beautiful beaches, which are a god given gift missing in Toronto.

Dominicans have made proud the city of Toronto with its baseball team. Its bigger stars are Dominicans.Those same Dominicans you shame by saying they are running away.

Toronto is a nice, clean city. Ok. But a city that can only be enjoyed three months of the year in summer time. The rest of the year, specially between December and March people have to endure temperatures that can only be registered in the north pole and Planet Mars. Totally unlivable under temperatures ranging from 20 to 65 below zero, It is so cold in Canada , that the Great Lakes which produce sealike waves are so frozen that you can drive an SUV over it for almost a mile over the lake. You can ice fish! I rather fish lobster in Boca Chica, so do Canadians! If not ask 400,000 happy Canadian visitors here.

A city where six months of the year the sun dissapears into dark clouds that bring about Canadian depression. Yes it is a beautiful city, but who the hell wants to live in a cold hell!
Why is it that Torontoans runaway in droves like madmen looking for our sun in Santo Domingo. Do you want to take a dive into a Lake Ontario Beach...be my guest and freeze your ass. Even in Summertime the water is about 50 degrees! Only polar bears are happy in Toronto most of the year.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

I see more Toronto Canadians wanting to live in Santo Domingo than Dominicans wanting to live in Toronto. And, if a good job, housing, and secure future were secured, both Dominicans and Canadians would prefer to live here than Toronto.

Try taking a swim on one of the Great Lakes beaches and tell me how it feels after you swim in our warm waters Punta Cana or Bavaro? Tell me how it feels to see the sun everyday on your morning coffee break instead of dark clouds and no sun for six months of the year.

R

Ralph

I love Santo Domingo! I would add on my personal list of criteria for World Class cities:

1- regular and efficient garbage collection

2-hot water available in most houses and buildings

3-reliable power

4-more cars than motorcycles

5- more than 10% of the vehicles having headlights, signal lights and being able to pass an inspection

6-quality vendors outside all resorts

OK so the last one was a joke;-)

D

DR-VETERAN

give 500,000 dominican tourists the chance to enjoy torontos worldclass icebox in wintertime i bet they will.

F

FRED

I dont like the cold either. However, when you are married and have children, weather is not the most important thing on your mind.

I bet if Canada had a visa free day, that is if they had one day where they would give out permanent residence to Dominicans who want to go to Canada, the line up would start the day before.

F

FRED

You only look at the weather. Read my post further up the board

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re:Henry, educate yourself

Almost every baseball player in Santo Domingo has at leats one car worth over $100,000 dollars. We have over 200 millionaire baseball players alone. Sammy Sosa owns several Ferraris, Mercedes 500s and other super fancy cars. I know one person that owns two Lamborghinis and is not a baseball player. There are so many cars over $50,000 dollars driving on Lincoln Avenue in Santo Domingo on weekends, that you would think you are in Monte Carlo. There are four Acuras NSX in my street at US$90,000 a pop.My friend Jose Ramon Martinez Gonzalez just bought a 2001 Porsche Turbo for US$135,000, one of several I have seen on Lincoln Avenue.

Jacinto Peynado owns more Porsches,Antique classic cars, than the Toronto Blue Jays have wins. In fact BMWs are so common in Santo Domingo that they have lost their exclusivity. Mercedes 500s are a dime a dozen in Piantini. Who are you kidding you ignorant person? Where the hell do you live? Do you want to stand only fifteen minutes with me at the Esso La Lira Gas Station so I can show you cars you have never driven or will drive in your lifetime? Come to JFK Avenue so I can show you a dealership where you have to get a loan from Bill Gates to buy one of those Aston Martins in stock.

No wonder you got problems driving a beat up 10 year jeep. Dominicans around my neighborhood dont drive junk like that.Come and see me and I will drive you in my car from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds so that you can feel what a real car feels like. We do not care about potholes. We can afford to fix them. I just got a bubble in one of my tires from a pothole, and I have to replace both tires up front for $US500. So what? I still like what I drive and enjoy it.

If you ever get $500,000 to $1,000,000 you might be lucky enough to buy yourself an apartment on Anacaona Avenue. If you dare to be so bold as to even ask, call Claudia Guzman of Remax Realtors at 541-2020 and she can accomodate you with Italian marble floors, private elevator to your apartment, swimming pool, health club, private quarters for your chauffeurs, private guards 24 hours, gold filled bath accessories, jacuzzis in every bathroom. You are such a miserable man, you would die if you ever saw what we have in this country.

Even in Santiago,our second city they advertise at least five houses for US$2,300,000 and two houses US$5,000,000. Can you dig that? Sammy Sosas house alone on Anacaona Avenue cost US$5,000,000. Where the hell do you live guy?

F

FRED

They can enjoy SD because they work hard and bring money from abroad.

When I asked Dominicans whether they would like to live in Toronto, they say "Si" when I tell them that it is very cold there in winter they respond "A mi megusta el frio"

F

FRED

Re:Henry, educate yourself

So rich is SD that the 90% of the cabs dont even have aircoditioning. It is a well documented fact that 20 families run 80% of the countries wealth. After Trujillo, Balaquer and others, the average Dominican is left with very little. I wonder why the American embassy has long lineups everyday of Dominicans looking for visas.

You sound like a Jamacian I once knew, he told me that everyone in Kingston had a Mercedes. I asked him them what was he doing in Canada(in the cold)if everyone in his country was so rich? He relpied, "Looking for adventure" I guess there is great adventure in the "Projects" Give me a break!!