Coastal road to Las Terrenas

Cabaretecanuck

Mar 27, 2011
I'm new to DR1, although I have read it off and on for a couple of years. My wife and I have been living here for about three years and love the north coast.

We live in Cabarete, and normally travel to Las Terrenas through the mountain road. I have heard the new coastal road is finished. Can anybody confirm the road now goes through from by the El Catey airport to Las Terrenas? My parents are flying into El Catey, and we thought it would be nice to try the coastal road if it's finished. Also, what is the cost to use it?

agw

Feb 14, 2010
It's a beautiful drive. Close to RD$500 for the toll from the airport - can't remember exactly.

It's just too bad they didn't build scenic lookout points along the way that are safe to stop at. There is one point just before you get to Las Terrenas that we were able to stop on the ocean side of the road and take photos.

We spent one night in Las Terrenas then drove to the town of Samana and I was fortunate enough to go out on Kim Beddall's tour to see the whales and had an excellent morning! Saw one lone male first then a group of 1 female and 7 males that was awesome to see.

Cabaretecanuck

Mar 27, 2011
Thanks for the prompt reply. Sounds great, I'm looking forward to trying it. We really like Las Terrenas, but the mountain road still needs a lot of work.

It's a beautiful drive. Close to RD$500 for the toll from the airport - can't remember exactly.

It's just too bad they didn't build scenic lookout points along the way that are safe to stop at. There is one point just before you get to Las Terrenas that we were able to stop on the ocean side of the road and take photos.

We spent one night in Las Terrenas then drove to the town of Samana and I was fortunate enough to go out on Kim Beddall's tour to see the whales and had an excellent morning! Saw one lone male first then a group of 1 female and 7 males that was awesome to see.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I totally enjoyed the drive on this road. We only met up with 5 or 6 other vehicles so were able to stop on the side in a few spots. If I had to choose, I think that the drive from Las Terrenas towards the airport is the best if you're not planning on doing it both ways. The views are breathtaking and it's also easier for you to stop for pictures. Don't miss the cave! You'll understand when you see it ;)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
When you are coming from Cabarate to El Catey you will now go through a toll booth and pay $450rds for the road to Las Terrenas. Stay in the left lane at the toll booth. This will allow you to get the ticket for the toll and then go into El Catey Airport. When you come out of the airport you need to go to your left and half way around the circle to access the highway to LT. Just after entering the highway you will see another small toll booth where you will give them the ticket for the toll you paid for. Follow this road all the way into Las Terrenas. The new road eventually intersects with the main street and you make a left turn and follow into town. By the way the mountain road has been totally repaved and is now a nice drive but it takes twice as long as the new section of highway from El Catey to Lt. Good Luck. Have fun.

LTS
l