Smart Phone Charges

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Claro states that the IPhone still racks up charges for using it if Wi-Fi is turned on.

Is there any way to use a "smart phone" with Wi-Fi and not use up the minutes on the phone,
Similar to using a "laptop" with Wi-Fi, which is free?

D in Santiago

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Don't use Orange, use Claro instead. A friend of mine has an Iphone that he puts money in with the cards. It does not use minutes on WiFi.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Don't use Orange, use Claro instead. A friend of mine has an Iphone that he puts money in with the cards. It does not use minutes on WiFi.
The reason for the question is that a friend has an IPhone and it was using up his minutes even though he thought he had everything turned off. Upon taking it to Claro, he was told that the Wi-Fi was still on and that was using up minutes.

He was using the phone solely for telephone calls.

Where's Robert, the IPhone expert when you need him?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
You can turn the WiFi off when not using the browser. Just go into general settings.
That I know, but trying to find out if there is a way to use Wi-Fi (Free) on a Smart Phone.
For such things as Skype, etc.
If not IPhone, how about Android?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
The reason for the question is that a friend has an IPhone and it was using up his minutes even though he thought he had everything turned off. Upon taking it to Claro, he was told that the Wi-Fi was still on and that was using up minutes.

Your friend probably doesn't know what the hell he's doing......lol

B in Santiago

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
That I know, but trying to find out if there is a way to use Wi-Fi (Free) on a Smart Phone.
For such things as Skype, etc.
If not IPhone, how about Android?

I have an Android Optimus T and it connects at no cost to WIFI. I use it for email, browser sometimes, downloading books to its Kindle app, updating apps and Groove IP for Google Voice (thanks AZB!).

I have even used it to browse E-bay and purchase Kindle books from Amazon.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have an Android Optimus T and it connects at no cost to WIFI. I use it for email, browser sometimes, downloading books to its Kindle app, updating apps and Groove IP for Google Voice (thanks AZB!).

I have even used it to browse E-bay and purchase Kindle books from Amazon.
That sounds good.

So, if you had no "minutes" on your Android Optimus T phone, you can still use the Wi-Fi for the items listed above.

D in Santiago

Dandman

May 17, 2004
I have an IPhone. I simply put it on airline mode and use it in a wireless area. I use a cheap Dominican phone for calls and texts but I never pay for the apps on the Iphone including email and internet searches.