Noobs in the planning stage

MiaMaria

Feb 23, 2012
My husband and I are living in KY USA, and since my husband got a well-paying remote job, we've been looking at places to move. He appreciates tax-free foreign income, I appreciate tropical warmth. DR is a place we've been looking into most seriously so far.

This forum is the best, I've learned so much just by reading this. We're looking into traveling to DR this Easter-time for a week, and if we like what we see, we were planning on staying longer at some other point in time.

Our ultimate goal is to build a house (with a local maestro's help) by the beach somewhere on the Southwest Coast, San Pedro - Bahahibe - Punta Cana -axel. We'd like to get the land as cheap as possible, and maybe build a little holiday village around it. We hope there's still cheap beach/ocean front land available... But getting to those people who can sell you the land (and I'm not talking about white developers) is going to prove to be a challenge.

We will probably stay at Santo Domingo on our Easter visit, because we found a good deal on one of the AIs, but would still like to explore the area southwest. I assume that rather than rent your own car, you really would be better off getting a local to drive you around. But how to find a trustworthy one would present a problem.

I know this may sound quite far-fetched and dreamy, and we sure won't know until we see what's going on, but I would really appreciate some (serious) insight and opinions on all of this, and I will be asking questions on the appropriate threads as well.

Oh, and because of my husband's work, a trustworthy and fast internet connection is a requirement, I understand that might be a little challenging to come by too... We were actually thinking of setting up a solar power system to make sure the electricity stayed on for important stuff. Thanks for hearing me out :D

MiaMaria

Feb 23, 2012
Edit to above: Okay, so I was talking about southwest, but I actually meant southeast... DUH! (didn't know how to edit the original post)