customs and metal detectors etc

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
:ermm::ermm: so, has anyone had trouble with customs while going through metal detectors, or with wand, re metal in their body. will be the first time for me, and i dont want any problems. doc told me they used to give out cards for flyers but stopped it.

thanks
linda

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have plates on both bones in my right forearm and only once had difficulty because the detector setting was extremely high. It wasn't really a problem because I carry a photostat of the x-ray taken when the plates were placed. It is hard for TSA to argue with a photo that clearly shows the plates and has my name on it as the patient.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
My husband had triple bypass 12 years ago. He had problem once with the metal detector about 11 years ago. He just opened his shirt and show the guy his scar and explained that the surgeon opened his sternum with a circular saw. I thought the guy was to vanish.

Last edited:

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
I have plates on both bones in my right forearm and only once had difficulty because the detector setting was extremely high. It wasn't really a problem because I carry a photostat of the x-ray taken when the plates were placed. It is hard for TSA to argue with a photo that clearly shows the plates and has my name on it as the patient.
OOPS............pressed both like and dislike in error. actually like your post and good idea, will do that

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My friend has two metal hips and gets stopped frequently. But remember, not all detectors are created equal.... some airports have more sensitive settings than others.

Orlando has been the worst I've seen - YYZ a close second.

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
I got 7 wires in my chest. Sometimes the detectors will go off but Ill just show them the scar and nobody has ever given me problems.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My large brass balls constantly set off metal detectors...:cheeky: