Guanaventuras: attractive community ecotourism offer / women cooperative La Cienaga

Yacine

Oct 23, 2005
Hello
since 2004 I have been working to support a group of women of la Cienaga to set up a community based ecotourism project. 100% of the benefits stay in the community, no foreigners, no intermediaries, no commissions (for me/us) no local barons or big investors. all services available, sleep in family houses, handcrafts, wonderful trails (especially those in the mountain were you have dozen of hidden cascades), unique ethnic food (try pavellon de rey al coco), etc. see the catalog Catalogo 2011 2012 - GuanAventuras
the same women group also produces jams with fruits associated to the shadow coffee gardens ecosystem (De M? Siembra), associating income generation with women empowerment, environmental sustainability and local groups capacity building (many buzz words~~! but true)... they also have a transportation and guides that can take you in the region including Cachote, Bahia de la Aguilas/Pelempito, Lazo Enriquillo los Patos etc. chekc their packages

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Great Information

Thank you for the great information and link. I was recently in Barahona and would have used their services, if not for a room at least for a tour guide up into the hills. The only outfit I could find doing this was Ecotours Barahona but this seems a better and more direct way to see local sights and directly help the local population. I will definitly investigate using them on my next trip to Barahona. Thanks again.

Yacine

Oct 23, 2005
NEXT TIME :) ecotour uses their service too food guides transport and now housing i think, i hope the women will be able to maintain quality standarts
Thank you for the great information and link. I was recently in Barahona and would have used their services, if not for a room at least for a tour guide up into the hills. The only outfit I could find doing this was Ecotours Barahona but this seems a better and more direct way to see local sights and directly help the local population. I will definitly investigate using them on my next trip to Barahona. Thanks again.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
the same women group also produces jams with fruits associated to the shadow coffee gardens ecosystem (De M? Siembra), associating income generation with women empowerment, environmental sustainability and local groups capacity building (many buzz words~~! but true)...

That jam is absolutely delicious. True story. A fantastic souvenir from the Southwest.

You go, Do?as! :)

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
This is an excellent project that should be supported. Here are some photos from my visit of home stays, artisan works and excursions...

Swim-with-Dolphins.jpg

Last edited:

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Sorry..had some trouble posting the pics. Here they are I hope...

bracelet.jpeg

Can Lid Bracelet

presidenteearings.jpeg

Presidente Earrings

lacienega.jpeg

La Cienaga Beach

sleepingbaby.jpeg

Baby sleeping at home stay house

bahoruco.jpeg

Bahoruco Forest: Excursion to Salto del Angel

saltodelangel.jpeg

Entrance to Salto del Angel