Third World or Second World ???

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
:confused:

We had this discussion the other night and the consensus at the table was that RDi not a 3rd world country, but is a 2nd world country.

Third world is much more 'lacking' than RD.

RD offers many things not available in the 3rd world.

Whatchathink??

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
What defines a 2nd or a 3rd world country? Is a based on the financial/economic structure of the country?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's an obsolete definition. 2nd world used to mean the Communist bloc countries. Now the terms people use include basket case/failed state, underdeveloped countries, developing countries, emerging economies. The DR is probably hovering between developing country and emerging economy.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's an obsolete definition. 2nd world used to mean the Communist bloc countries. Now the terms people use include basket case/failed state, underdeveloped countries, developing countries, emerging economies. The DR is probably hovering between developing country and emerging economy.

Just my luck - obsolete!! Thats me !!

But you are basically agreeing that that RD is higher up the scale than we give it credit for.
That was the thrust of the dinner discussion. We didn't like being seen as or referred to as some of the more 'desperate' countries in the world.

Thereis electricity here (sporadic, but here) public transportation (subway), decent road systems and communictions. In short, and infastructure which many other countries do NOT have.

Maybe its time to reinstate the term - 2nd world. "im sure we can think of other countries that qualify

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
On a moral front a country is judged on how it treats it weakest members, the most vulnerable, those it could and should help. On a moral standing the Dominican Republic is nowhere, a third world lost in itself.
On an economical front it is developing country operating well above its moral standings and could be great but will never gain a credible status until finds a balance, and it will not do that until the weights are moved. The country is luxury by international standards where it wants to be, and can be whatever it wants to be. Anyone calling DR a 3rd world country has been sold a sympathy, not a reality.
3rd world sells better, so 3rd world it will stay!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
When I was in Haiti I had a long time American resident tell me the DR was 2nd world and Haiti 3rd world.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I can't get over the way people need these terms to define things. Living in the country, it is obvious the conditions are not that bad. Poverty is not third world poverty. Crazy tourists love it, and that will keep it as that, so be it. But it is a hustling, intelligent, money making opportunists dream if you can buy your way through all the bullsh1t to smell the coffee!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think for most of us who live here we could care less of any designations by others. Still it is useful when fielding question from friends and families as to why one would choose to live in the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
When I was in Haiti I had a long time American resident tell me the DR was 2nd world and Haiti 3rd world.

Thats where we were at dinner, Chip.
Saying just that - referring to Haiti as a perfect, nearby example of a 'more dire' situation.

I don't think we need to be as esoteric as giveadogahome, but I DO think a reclassification is called for.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
the first, second, third world designations, as originally defined are indeed outdated. They are still used, but if you look up the current use/definition, second world STILL indicates a communist country.

I only know this because I looked it up when I was contradicting one of YannaPi's recent posts. As CC pointed out at the time... "developing nation" is the most accurate description.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
2nd or 3rd World

Hi:

I think the DR is very close to a 2nd World Country, but I think it depends where in country you are. Santo Domingo is definitely 2nd and is some cases 1st world. Where I live in Las Terrenas I would say the same fits. However this is a big country for an island and in some places it is barely 3rd world and maybe 4th. Some folks still live like they did 100 years ago, with no running water or electricity and a small farm to produce the food that they eat everyday. The DR in the last 10 years has increased its accessibility to modern technology in the form of cell phones, wi-fi and computer access. It has also made major improvement in its infrastructure systems, such as, new and improved highways, public transportation and development of airports. It is still lacking in major upgrading of electrical grids, alternate sources of energy and environmental concerns. I would say that in the major population centers it is a solid 2nd World and in the outlying areas 3rd World or less. Overall I would say it is somewhere around a 2.5 World Country but with a definite arrow going up direction. The next 10 years will be critical to the development of the DR as a power in the Caribbean and Central America.

LTS

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I like it Steve.... nice description.

Try this at your next dinner party - it makes for good conversation. (Some of us need it !!)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
the first, second, third world designations, as originally defined are indeed outdated. They are still used, but if you look up the current use/definition, second world STILL indicates a communist country.

I only know this because I looked it up when I was contradicting one of YannaPi's recent posts. As CC pointed out at the time... "developing nation" is the most accurate description.

And you have people saying 2.5 on this thread ;)

Good to know some finally got the memo :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
For the record, at our dinner discussion I was agreeing w/ the 2nd world definition.

Like many other things, I think we need to join the present and discard the Communist Bloc stuff and see things as they are today.

Second world gets my vote, regardless of the less than 2nd world segments.

I could take into some woods in Kentucky and Virginia and Louisiana that would blow your definition of the 'good , old USA'