Another Grocery Store in Bavaro/Punta Cana coming!

agw

Feb 14, 2010
This past week or so the Cinema area of Plaza Real has been cordoned off and barriers put up.

My boyfriend went today and asked the security guys what was going on and they said that a Plaza Lama is going in and it should be open in 6 months!

If that is correct, it will be interesting to see what prices in the area will be like a year from now.

Mike_n_Val

Dec 24, 2010
Thanks for the update, I have been wondering what they were up to. Certainly good for the area more competition should force prices down a little. Hopefully it's not a repeat of the new Iberia and that its actually a full blown store with everything and not just another supermercado.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
wondering how much space do they have to build the Plaza Lama ...
anyway, having then Lama, Pola and Iberia, prices should go down, at least a bit ...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's probably going to be electro-domestics, not groceries, unless anyone has other information.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It's probably going to be electro-domestics, not groceries, unless anyone has other information.

I would have to agree on this. They are not known for their groceries. As for their electronics, be aware that they sell a lot of refurbished goods as new, and basically any junk that does not sell in the US goes to them.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I was told by a friend that it's a new disco that they're opening... Apparently this person knows the owners or something. Guess we'll just have to wait and see...

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
A friend confirmed this morning that it IS Plaza Lama but only the grocery section. So basically we've gone to almost no supermarkets 2 years ago to having a Nacional, Pola, Iberia and now Plaza Lama. LOL! I just wish someone would put in a DEPARTMENT store in the area. People DO need to buy clothes and household items around here!

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Next year Ikea full store is coming to Bavaro. This was confirmed to me by the current manager of the ikea in SD. I like their lamps and some other stuff.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
IKEA in bavaro?????????? wow that big news!
BTW, if IKEA SD is 4 times more expensive than in Europe ... I dont want to imagine that then Bavaro IKEA could be 5-6 times ... as here everything is more expensive than in the rest of the country ... :(

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
IKEA in bavaro?????????? wow that big news!
BTW, if IKEA SD is 4 times more expensive than in Europe ... I dont want to imagine that then Bavaro IKEA could be 5-6 times ... as here everything is more expensive than in the rest of the country ... :(

Ikea SD 4 times more expensive than in Europe... Where do you guys get this stuff? Surely you make it up!

Ikea 2012Catalog page 5 table
DR: RD$19,995 US$513.2187 Source: IKEA
Italy: 279 euros US$371.8091 Source: IKEA
UK: 229 pounds US$367.1331 Source: IKEA
Spain: 279 euros US$371.8091 Source: IKEA

Currency converter: Currency Converter - Yahoo! Finance

NotLurking

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
There are some items that are 3-4 times more expensive, I can tell you clearly, as I bought a small table and a lamp. I checked after that prices in Spanish IKEA website and voila!!! 3-4 times cheaper .....
Maybe with more expensive items than a lamp or small table, prices are not so different, but still really more expensive than outside DR ...

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
If there is an IKEA coming I will be enjoying the restaurant - great place for bite to eat after a browse. I also checked the prices recently against US IKEA prices and negligible.....

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If there is an IKEA coming I will be enjoying the restaurant - great place for bite to eat after a browse. I also checked the prices recently against US IKEA prices and negligible.....

It's more of a service desk. They're located on the second floor of the San Juan Shopping Center and have a few items on display but not much else. I guess they're basically here to assist with selection and receive orders. As I see the Ikea truck drive around the area almost daily, it looks like business is good in this area!

Added on: Prices are the same as SD and if you order over RD$15,000, then shipping is free.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
IKEA in San Juan Shopping Center?
Wow! so I can go there and make my orders then instead of going to SD, thats good!
Will have a look at that office

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I did a price comparison of SD Ikea vs Ikea in the U.S. Picked a number of SAME items from each. The average difference in price was 50% higher in S.D. The difference varied according to specific item and was anywhere from 20% higher to 80% higher, with the average being 50%. This was a little while back, not long after Ikea opened in S.D.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I thought the IKEA bavaro was an April fool until I checked the dates then Kates post assuring that it is already up and running, what a surprise, and doing well, even more of a surprise, good on them. Prices can be a bit higher in SDQ, side tables n stuff can be silly compared to the UK,but in general the beds, n sofas etc are what you'd expect for DR Tax increase.