Advice for a restaurant pick in SD?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Since restaurants come and go.. I am hoping for some input for a special dinner.. Cousin and family coming in for two nites to SD (then for golf in Punta Cana) First night will be dinner at my house.. but then they want to go out for a special meal..

So I am looking for suggestions..

for a one time memory

perhaps a bit out of the ordinary.

Not Meson de Bari, or Adrian Tropical, or Conuco or Vesusius or Mithre or Porters...

But other suggestions are welcome...

How about Sherezade, anyone been there?

Anything really GREAT that DR1ers know of?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My favorite in SD,is "Capuchinos".It is on the corner of Maximo Gomez,1 block before the US consulate,as you come down from 27 Feb.It is next to a big gas station.It has two sides,one VERY upscale,the othet less so.Take the first entrance closes to Maximo G.When you enter,make a right turn.If you see a wooden bridge you are in the right part.
My favorite is,"Tortaloni a la Donetello",Try it!
CC
Vesuvio's on the malacon is also my suggestion.I do believe their quality,and service has gone down over the years.
CC

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Restaurante del Lago on Av. Anacaona, recently remodelled and reopened. Dominican food with a gourmet touch, nice setting.

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
just in SD for peace corps reunion
first ate at vesuvios 30 years ago..walked up to it on last night in SD and it was empty
pate palo was nice in plaza espana and rated number 1 by tripadvisor but big $
adrian tropical is fine for dominican food and ocean front settting
would have gone to meson d bari if had chance
went to el sarten for dancing nearby

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Take them to the Colonial zone and the row of restaurants down across from Alcazar de Colon(Columbus'son's house) It is a spectacular setting at night for dinner in the open air courtyard with a view of history.

LTS

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Take them to the Colonial zone and the row of restaurants down across from Alcazar de Colon(Columbus'son's house) It is a spectacular setting at night for dinner in the open air courtyard with a view of history.

LTS

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Don Pepe is in my opinion by far the best restaurant in Santo Domingo. El Cantabrico is very good as well. La Dolcerie for a better price, Grappa is also good. I thought Sophia's was closed since months.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
ThankIs all!

I too adore Cappucino's but last time I went there it looked like they were closing or something.. had just a little bar on the right for coffee,, Never been to upscale side to eat - I know the food is great but the decor over there made me feel so .. well .. 16th century Spain....

As for the Zona.. yes, perhaps Bellini's since it is so beautiful.. They are going to be staying there and I would rather have something a bit LESS on the tourist side. I know that Pale has a good reputation.

And the CAVA..I have heard really nothing but good things about this place but honestly, the thought of eating in an underground cave.. just.. well.. (OK,,, guess I am a little claustrophobic)

How about Fellini/s?

Went to Vesuvio's but found it run down and not very impressive.

What is the restaurant on the lake, Chiri?

Tropical on the Malecon has a good reputation but pretty mediocre food for my money.

I did try to search through Menu.com.do which has reviews but they have the sandwich and sushi places all mixed in with high end.

This is to be a joint birthday party for me and my cousin so it is a pretty special occasion.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The boating lake is in Parque Mirador Sur, quite a way along Avenida Anacaona, almost opposite the Dominican Fiesta Hotel. The building that overlooks it is in the process of being remodelled with eco-friendly features. The lake itself, after years of neglect, has been cleaned and landscaped. Eventually there will be two restaurants - El Arrozal and El Higuero - and a banqueting hall. The banqueting hall and El Higuero are already open.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Restaurante Cantabrico Santo Domingo - Restaurantes.com.do

is this place right near the cemetary? across from Ede Este?
Caffe Bellini, Santo Domingo - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

maybe there was no such place as Fellini's maybe that was a movie

Fellini is in Roberto Pastoriza 504, near the corner with Churchill:
Fellini, Santo Domingo - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Cantabrico is on the Independencia, not far from hotel Jaragua more to the direction of the Colonial Zone.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The boating lake is in Parque Mirador Sur, quite a way along Avenida Anacaona, almost opposite the Dominican Fiesta Hotel. The building that overlooks it is in the process of being remodelled with eco-friendly features. The lake itself, after years of neglect, has been cleaned and landscaped. Eventually there will be two restaurants - El Arrozal and El Higuero - and a banqueting hall. The banqueting hall and El Higuero are already open.

If I'm not mistaken, this place is from the owner of Adrian's tropical, but I suppose the food is a completely different thing.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
And the CAVA..I have heard really nothing but good things about this place but honestly, the thought of eating in an underground cave.. just.. well.. (OK,,, guess I am a little claustrophobic)
Not claustrophobic at all, MA. Don't let that affect your decision...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If I'm not mistaken, this place is from the owner of Adrian's tropical, but I suppose the food is a completely different thing.
Yes, you're right - full disclosure - they are personal friends. The concept is different - my husband tried it last week, I'm looking forward to seeing and tasting it on my next visit to Santo Tap?n, whenever that may be ;)