Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The need to have a return ticket when entering the DR

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The need to have a return ticket when entering the DR

I know that this has been tossed around several times before but what is the legality ? My wife had to purchase a ticket from DR to Canada before Copa would let her on the plane in Chile. I think it's the dummest thing I ever heard. What if we had our own plane here or intending to leave on our boat?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that it is a DR regulation they are complying with or they could face a stiff fine.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Your leaving at the end of trip is not the issue. Airlines are required to have guarantee of onward passage for passenger if the passenger is denied entry into destination country. If you were to be denied entry at immigration (you are on a watch list or previously deported for example) and do not have a return ticket, airline will be forced to transport you and subject to a $10,000 fine. Some airlines are strict about avoiding liability, some are not.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    I know that this has been tossed around several times before but what is the legality ? My wife had to purchase a ticket from DR to Canada before Copa would let her on the plane in Chile. I think it's the dummest thing I ever heard. What if we had our own plane here or intending to leave on our boat?
    Don't you have residency Eddy?

I've had experience with the intention to leave on a boat. Just get a letter from local port commander before you go explaining that your boat is here and that you will be leaving the DR on it after returning from your trip. Assume you could do something similar if you had a plane.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Don't you have residency Eddy?

I've had experience with the intention to leave on a boat. Just get a letter from local port commander before you go explaining that your boat is here and that you will be leaving the DR on it after returning from your trip. Assume you could do something similar if you had a plane.
    It's my wife who had the problem. She had a return ticket from here so why the problem coming back to her original country. Just the inconvenience of going all the way to the airport only to be denied boarding on a flight to where she originated from. She missed her flight, had to stay over an extra night and pay 85.00 to change flights. Plus I had to buy a ticket to Montreal that.... Ah never mind. We don't have a problem from Canada. She travels several times a year without the hassle. Just would like to know if they are legal in doing that. I've been told they can't do it.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

That's interesting, I was going to do something like that, I better watch out... !?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes they ask for a return ticket - sometimes not.

Its a crapshoot

8. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The same thing happened to me flying AA from Miami at Miami airport, the counter at AA made me buy a return ticket (this was before I got my residency). Thats one of the benefits for having residency in the DR, to avoid this kind of hassle. Only the bigger airlines seem enforce the regulation set up by the Dom. government.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned several times on this board, when faced with situation like this, buy the refundable first (or economy) class tickets with no penalties attached. Yes they will set you back immediately more $$$ than the cheapest ticket available at the moment, but once in the DR you can cancel that reservation and apply for the refund with the airline. Best paid with a credit card.

11. Likes cobraboy, CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

new law as of 30 april 2012, canadians will be required to have return ticket or no entry allowed to domrep. i live in moca and will have to fly back to moca before then or buy a ticket i will never use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast