The need to have a return ticket when entering the DR

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I know that this has been tossed around several times before but what is the legality ? My wife had to purchase a ticket from DR to Canada before Copa would let her on the plane in Chile. I think it's the dummest thing I ever heard. What if we had our own plane here or intending to leave on our boat?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My understanding is that it is a DR regulation they are complying with or they could face a stiff fine.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Your leaving at the end of trip is not the issue. Airlines are required to have guarantee of onward passage for passenger if the passenger is denied entry into destination country. If you were to be denied entry at immigration (you are on a watch list or previously deported for example) and do not have a return ticket, airline will be forced to transport you and subject to a $10,000 fine. Some airlines are strict about avoiding liability, some are not.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I know that this has been tossed around several times before but what is the legality ? My wife had to purchase a ticket from DR to Canada before Copa would let her on the plane in Chile. I think it's the dummest thing I ever heard. What if we had our own plane here or intending to leave on our boat?

Don't you have residency Eddy?

I've had experience with the intention to leave on a boat. Just get a letter from local port commander before you go explaining that your boat is here and that you will be leaving the DR on it after returning from your trip. Assume you could do something similar if you had a plane.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Don't you have residency Eddy?

I've had experience with the intention to leave on a boat. Just get a letter from local port commander before you go explaining that your boat is here and that you will be leaving the DR on it after returning from your trip. Assume you could do something similar if you had a plane.
It's my wife who had the problem. She had a return ticket from here so why the problem coming back to her original country. Just the inconvenience of going all the way to the airport only to be denied boarding on a flight to where she originated from. She missed her flight, had to stay over an extra night and pay 85.00 to change flights. Plus I had to buy a ticket to Montreal that.... Ah never mind. We don't have a problem from Canada. She travels several times a year without the hassle. Just would like to know if they are legal in doing that. I've been told they can't do it.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
That's interesting, I was going to do something like that, I better watch out... !?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The same thing happened to me flying AA from Miami at Miami airport, the counter at AA made me buy a return ticket (this was before I got my residency). Thats one of the benefits for having residency in the DR, to avoid this kind of hassle. Only the bigger airlines seem enforce the regulation set up by the Dom. government.

Feb 7, 2007
As mentioned several times on this board, when faced with situation like this, buy the refundable first (or economy) class tickets with no penalties attached. Yes they will set you back immediately more $$$ than the cheapest ticket available at the moment, but once in the DR you can cancel that reservation and apply for the refund with the airline. Best paid with a credit card.

melodie

Apr 15, 2011
new law as of 30 april 2012, canadians will be required to have return ticket or no entry allowed to domrep. i live in moca and will have to fly back to moca before then or buy a ticket i will never use.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Does it matter if the return ticket is 5/6 months from the arrival ? (Theoretically speaking you can only stay as a tourist for 30 days, but I haven't heard they bother about that before....!)

melodie

Apr 15, 2011
don't know about the return date just that we need one! but i want to know why if i am married to a dominican and we live there, i even have my lease contract to prove it, do i need a return ticket?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
don't know about the return date just that we need one! but i want to know why if i am married to a dominican and we live there, i even have my lease contract to prove it, do i need a return ticket?

Do you have a cedula? A lease contract doesn't mean much, you need something official to show.

If you must buy a ticket, buy a refundable 1st class ticket.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
new law as of 30 april 2012, canadians will be required to have return ticket or no entry allowed to domrep. i live in moca and will have to fly back to moca before then or buy a ticket i will never use.

Is this what the airline has told you? I've travelled back and forth to Canada for years and have never needed a return ticket.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Yes airline website says it and government of canada website too!

I meant about the return flight, not the passport. PASSPORTS are required as of the 30th of April and I was under the impression that if you had a valid passport, a return ticket wasn't required.

Last edited:

blacksophisticado

Nov 2, 2007
wow I have entered on american at least 13 times from Miami during the last year and maybe about 4 or 5 times I had a return ticket back to the U.S. and I have never had an issue. I do have an issue however in customs immigration when I try to enter back into the U.S. and that has has nothing to do with my ticket.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
If you live here get your cedula and residency cards and never worry about a return ticket again.

Bob K

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I recently made a quick trip to South Fla.to Santo Domingo and had to purchase the return ticket even though I was not sure of the date that I was returning. Jet Blue said it was an "International Law" and not their policy and would give me no break on it.

LTS

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Taken from the Canadian Gov. Website: Dominican Republic Travel Advice and Advisories | Government of Canada

Hope this clears it up but having said that I have many times traveled direct from Toronto and not been asked for a return ticket. Can't remember when I've transferred from Miami but am doing that in April so I'll see if they ask.

4. ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS

It is the sole prerogative of each country or region to determine who is allowed to enter. All countries or regions have special requirements for persons intending to reside for extended periods (usually more than 90 days) or who plan to work, study, or engage in non-tourist activities. To obtain information on specific entry requirements, contact the nearest diplomatic or consular office of the destination(s) to be visited. Violations of entry and exit requirements may result in serious penalties.

The following information on entry and exit requirements has been confirmed with the authorities of the Dominican Republic. However, these requirements are subject to change at any time. It is the traveller's responsibility to check with the Embassy of the Dominican Republic or its consulates for up-to-date information.

Since January 23, 2007, all Canadian citizens transiting the United States when travelling to and from the Dominican Republic by air must comply with entry requirements to the U.S. For more detailed information, please see the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) web site

It is strongly recommended that all Canadians be in possession of a valid Canadian passport while abroad. A Canadian passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document available to Canadians for the purpose of international travel. Starting April 30, 2012, Canadians will be required to present a passport to visit the Dominican Republic, which will need to be valid for the length of their stay. Until then, Canadians entering the Dominican Republic by direct air travel are only required to be in possession of valid official photo identification (such as a driver's licence) and proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate). Canadian tourists must also be in possession of a return airline ticket.

However, Canadian citizens returning to Canada who present other documents, such as a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, birth certificate, provincial driver?s licence, or foreign passport, instead of a Canadian passport, may face delays or be denied boarding by transport companies.

Canadians entering the Dominican Republic for tourist purposes must purchase a tourist card, at a cost of $10 US, which is valid for 30 days. Those wishing to stay for a longer period must pay a surcharge at the airport upon departure or request an extension by visiting the Department of Immigration in Santo Domingo. Those wishing to work in the Dominican Republic must apply for a business visa. More information can be obtained by contacting the Embassy of the Dominican Republic in Ottawa.

Foreigners may gain the right to reside in the Dominican Republic by acquiring a residence visa from the Foreign Relations Ministry and a temporary or permanent residence card from the Immigration Department. A student visa is also required. For additional information, please contact the Embassy of the Dominican Republic in Ottawa or its consulates in Canada.

Tourist Visa or Tourist Card: Required
Business Visa: Required
Student Visa: Required

A departure tax of US$20 is charged for stays of up to two weeks. The departure tax for stays longer than two weeks varies depending on length of stay and nationality. The tax applies to all international flights, and may be included in the price of the airline ticket. Travellers should confirm this information with their travel agents.

Selling, altering, or allowing another person to use your passport is a criminal offence. It could lead to the laying of charges and imprisonment if convicted. It could also lead to the denial of future passport services.

Special and diplomatic passport holders should verify all visa requirements for this and other destinations, as they may differ from those that apply to regular passport holders.

Although same-sex marriages are legal in Canada, many countries or regions do not recognize them. Attempting to enter as a same-sex married couple may result in refusal by local officials. For more information, contact the foreign government office accredited to Canada.

Last edited: