Watch out!! The thieves in sosua are getting out of control!!

el tibby

Aug 21, 2006
ive been living in sosua for 2 1/2 years strait and comming down now for what is my 10th year. so you could say i should know better... but this trip ive been here for 1 month now, and i cant tell you how many things and times ive gotten robbed....and just gotten ****ed off at dominicans in general....

started with my new bottle of cologne... the cleaning lady just up n took it.. i know it was her cuz it was there at 3;30 pm when i went to the pool and she cleaned my room right as i was leaving, i returned at 5pm and it was gone!! i gave her the benifit of asking if she broke it ( which i would understand. it happens) but no, she is off the next day and thinks she can get away with it....i later find out that the workers in the hotel havent been paid for three months... so i guess i should understand and move on.... oh well a brand new $60 dollars cologne gone!!

next its the taxi guys, these guys are like the mafia down here... ive had a few run ins with them.. so far so good, im undefeated when it comes to arguing with them as long as the police are involved, but these guys logic is unbelieveable!! they try n use strong-arm tactics....
started with me taking my friends to the airport with a rental truck that we paid for.... apparently they feel that anyone going to n from the airport has to paid them $25 dollars... u can imagine how watching me load up the truck n going to the airport turned out!!!

make a long story short and a big scene with police many taxi cab drivers n the local news.... i had my hearing in dominican court and won!!! i was allowed to take my friends but you know i didnt make any new taxi cab friends.....

but it didnt stop there... now i got a few friends that spent everything they had and were broke, so i suggest that instead of taking the taxi to the airport, they jump in a publico taxi off the main road.....the difference is, instead of $25 bucks plus tip, the publicos charge you 50 pesos and if you want the whole car to your self just buy out the entire car ( which means... if 6 people fit in the car just give him 300 pesos and you go by yourself or if your goin with another guy its 150 each or 100 for three... you get the picture... its much cheaper than a regular taxi....sure enough the taxi mafia gets wind of it and they send a threating message that im pushing it with them....lol, **** you! is my response... in english n in spannish... why should i pay more when i dont have too... i told em your conplaint is with the publicos not with me or any tourist who decides to save a buck!!

next story actually happened to my dominican girlfriend, who you think is excluded from the thieves n con-artists scams since she is one of them (meaning she's dominican n poor)
anyway, she happened to bring some clothes to the laundry ( family laundramat)( sign says" morecheaperthanyourownhouse) across from casa cayena hotel n near the bon ice cream shop.... these filty thieves have been cut off from me years ago whensuddenly my clothes started disapearing, not to mention the woman's son is a crack user that steals your nice shirts n sells them,or wears them out,
(i caught him wearing one of mine) which is why i never went back to them again, but for some reason my girlfriend decided to go drop off her clothes n some of mine without me knowing, whatever...about 15 minutes goes by and she remembers that she left some money in one of the pockets of the pants she dropped off... now, she is 1000% sure that it was in the pants and 10,000,000% sure the workers at the laundramat had already cleaned her out... it dosent matter the amount (enought to **** her off) but it was so obvious that they took it that it made her n me sick.... she swears never to use them again... and its not the money... from what i understand, from talking with her its the priciple, "how could you steal from me" im dominican just like you and i know you took the money" you could lie to gringo's, but to me?" im sure you could understand.. one thing ive learned all the time being down here is domincans stick together, if you get robbed by a dominican, they say to themselves " good for you, they(gringo's) got money so they wont miss it" but when dominicans rob from other dominicans..... its more like " shame on you" ive seen thieves get tied to a poll and wipped and beaten badly for just that!!

as im closing my trip report this time in sosua, im really questioning weather i want to come back, yes, there is so much good,food/women/culture down here, and ive had so much fun over the years with many friends...some new that i met here and old that come down here to party...honestly, all the bull**** politics, and police coruption added to the thieves n con-artists, drug- dealing motocouches adds up....its the good n the bad theory i know but sometimes enough is enough!!!

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If going on vacation in the DR makes you this angry maybe you should not go. Do you look for trouble or does it just seem to find you?

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
If you decide to return and antagonize the taxi drivers, be sure to leave a copy of your dental records or a DNA sample with someone. It will make the Medical Examiners job alot easier when they get finished with you.

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
el tibby;1062092 started with my new bottle of cologne... the cleaning lady just up n took it.. i know it was her cuz it was there at 3;30 pm when i went to the pool and she cleaned my room right as i was leaving said:
I am pretty sure if she had been paid her salary, would she maybe not stole your perfume..
If she can sell this perfume for 20 to 30 dollar to another tourist, will she maybe get money to buy some food and feed her kids.
Like the taxi drivers that has fewer and fewer clients and then feel that only they have the right to drive tourists to the airport.
Also heard about girls that worked in a beach bar or restaurant, had to prostitute them self to survive , when it was low season and it had rained several days, so their employer had to let them off for a time period since it was no costumers .

But, some Dominicans are stupid, like this laundry, that steal from their costumers, of course you will never use them again.
So they make fast profit by steal some money or cloths , but loose income from the people they rob in the future.
Same as motochonos you send them to a restaurant to buy food for you, and they come back with somethings else than what you wanted, something much cheaper, and keep the difference.
Of course will you not use them more in future too..

With lesser tourists and to many in competition in same branches.
Become people desperate and become thief's to survive.
Like in Cuba, where every state employers try to steal something from their work or tourist, since they get so low paid from the government, so they can not survive only on their salary.

And how much steal the" working girls" in Sosua streets now, from their clients,,Thats a another story...

el tibby

Aug 21, 2006
If going on vacation in the DR makes you this angry maybe you should not go. Do you look for trouble or does it just seem to find you?

im sure anyone with some self respect or balls wouldnt take the taxi drivers strong-arming them to use the more expensive taxi cab instead of the cheaper ones....as far as my dental records go..... i got one question for you? do **** standing up or sitting down??? a man without pricipals is not a man!

el tibby

Aug 21, 2006
if your askin me...and the answer was yes i wouldnt be venting on dr1... i think im the most under the radar guy you would meet....!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I am pretty sure if she had been paid her salary, would she maybe not stole your perfume..
If she can sell this perfume for 20 to 30 dollar to another tourist, will she maybe get money to buy some food and feed her kids.
Like the taxi drivers that has fewer and fewer clients and then feel that only they have the right to drive tourists to the airport.
Also heard about girls that worked in a beach bar or restaurant, had to prostitute them self to survive , when it was low season and it had rained several days, so their employer had to let them off for a time period since it was no costumers .
yes, because that is so true, you know, being poor does justify robbing people, right?
and who am i to decide what to do with my own money, i should just handle it all to the taxi drivers becuase they had a bad luck lately, right?
and yeah, right, any decent woman who happens to lost her job just jumps on the idea of c**k sucking.

please. for the love of god!

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
I think anyone that has spent any amount of time in the DR has similar stories. Here's a very recent one:

Just a few weeks ago I went to get a copy of my marriage certificate in Santo Domingo with my wife and her uncle. Part of the discussion going there was about how Dominicans are constantly trying to rip gringos, like myself, off. Since they are Dominican they told me to sit back and relax and let them do the work. They recruited a little help outside the gov location in order to speed things up. Well, they ended up getting ripped off to the tune of several hundred pesos paying more than the actual fees. They figured since they were Dominican they'd get honest help from a Dominican. Wrong. Sad thing is it was my money so basically I still got ripped off.

Life in the DR.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
I think anyone that has spent any amount of time in the DR has similar stories. Here's a very recent one:

Just a few weeks ago I went to get a copy of my marriage certificate in Santo Domingo with my wife and her uncle. Part of the discussion going there was about how Dominicans are constantly trying to rip gringos, like myself, off. Since they are Dominican they told me to sit back and relax and let them do the work. They recruited a little help outside the gov location in order to speed things up. Well, they ended up getting ripped off to the tune of several hundred pesos paying more than the actual fees. They figured since they were Dominican they'd get honest help from a Dominican. Wrong. Sad thing is it was my money so basically I still got ripped off.

Life in the DR.

Since it was your money to begin with, you don't think all parties involved were in on that??

Something to think about, be happy it was short money...........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Por favor .....What is "short money" ??? As opposed to "long money" , I guess?

Is that 'midget money' vs 'giant money'............. said in a Boston accent

His family are ladrones?? Could be, but not where I come from:mad:

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
They tried a bus from the city to the airport in Santa Domingo and the taxi mafia set it on fire.

im sure anyone with some self respect or balls wouldnt take the taxi drivers strong-arming them to use the more expensive taxi cab instead of the cheaper ones....as far as my dental records go..... i got one question for you? do **** standing up or sitting down??? a man without pricipals is not a man!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

I am sure you know what The Short Bus is!

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010

Ya never know, but my guess it was just business as usual...(gringo tax)...wink wink.....

All parties involved knew what was goin down IMO......

And if you ask me to explain what "goin down" means...

Please refer to Tambos post...(#16) referencing SHORT BUS.......

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Dude" I know you think you're all brave and all that by taking on the taxi cartels, but consider this...every taxi driver in The DR is armed. Most of them with guns and those who can't afford it will always have a Machete or a bat in their car. Maybe I'm not as ballsy as you, but I having to pay a few extra hundred pesos is not worth getting hacked to death in my book. I would never take these guys on...and I'm armed.