• Thread starter "The Tourist Watcher"
  • Start date

Re: Africa,DR , Haiti and Pena Gomez

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

I refuse to get absorbed into another long debate with Bolivar,alias Onions and Carrots, because again we are strongly on different sides of the fence. And this will be my only intervention in this.

Few people wish to consult our history. It has now been quietly forgotten that Dominicans were enslaved, tortured,dominated,and stepped on by Haitians before we became independent from their horrendous, discriminatory dictatorship against Spanish speaking Dominicans. True we all have black in our blood and we also have white, and oriental and indian, etc. We are a mixed hispanic republic. We earned our wings and we are going to keep them.

There seems to be a conspiracy between European nations and the United States to try to merge our two countries, so that they can wash their hands of the debacle they have caused in Haiti. They want us Dominicans to carry their cross. NO SIR!! We are going to fight that till the end. We are Dominicans.

And as for Pe?a Gomez, all Pe?a Gomez did was keep Balaguer in power for tweve years(his own making)and he live all his life travelling abroad and enjoying the good life. he never worked a day in his life, except to develop a cult to his personality. Another Trujillo in decmocratic dress.

C

canadianjoe

The vegetable man is proposing solutions for a non-existent problem

T

Tom F.

TW, Your posts are getting easier to digest. Roberto Cassa teaches that when the Haitians freed the Dominican Republic from the Spanish colonizers, they were meet with people throwing roses at them when they entered the Capitial. Shortly after that, dictitorial rule emerged in Haiti and thus the Haitian occupation until 1844. What is your view of Santana and his reunification with Spain, thus "La Restoration", 20 some years later? I think the European and the US are exploring possible solution to a no win situation in Haiti. You could pump another couple of billion dollars into Haiti and it will soon, find itself in a bank in Miami or somewhere else. What are some possible solutions you might propose for Haiti. If things blow up over there, don't you think it will cause huge problems in the DR. It is in the best interests of the DR to see a stable government and economy in Haiti. I few years back it was reported in the local papers in the DR that the Dominican military extorts some RD$10 million a day from people buying and selling goods at the border. They are going to ride it out as long as they can. Go to Dajabon on the days they open the border and watch how the Dominican military treat the Haitians as they line up to cross over.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Tom:I believe that the European Community, United States and Canada who are active participants in this unification plan of DR and Haiti, should rather put together a development plan to bring about a revival of the Haitian economy with very strong strings attached.

Rather than give these corrupted leaders money, they should just come in and start building their highways, water plants, schools, hospitals, trade free zones and industry alongside the border. Equally importan is to revive tourism, which used to be stronger than the Dominican Republic in the 50s.and 60s. I thought that when the Americans came in to save Haiti from a military dictatorship they were going to stay there and use their will. But I believe there is no will to do this and the easy way out is turn the problem to the Dominicans.

The rebuilding of their forests and protection of their waterways, whatever is left, should come with high subsidizing of natural gas and petroleum products, so that Haitians can leave behind charcoal and rudimentary transportation.

Forcing unification will bring about a border war and massive recriminations against haitians here, which Dominicans are ready to take if threatened. Recalling what Trujillo did in Palma Sola and what Juan Bosch was almost ready to do when he saw an equal threat, it is not totally out of the real of possibility that our armed forces and civilian militias could deal a heavy blow to these intentions and then things could really complicate internationally. I know that many Anti-unification Dominican civilians are armed to the teeth just waiting for such an event.

T

Tom F.

I think they tried that already after the US invaded recently. When the US does major infrastructure donations they contract local businesses owned by the elite. I can't see a private US company taking all the equipment down there. The military only does this kind of stuff in places like Honduras when they are fighting the Sandinistas, or in South America with the war on drugs. The US military built the aquaduct system for San Francisco de Macoris according to local residents. Of course that was when people thought maybe Juan Bosch and Fidel were going to do the same thing in DR that happened in Cuba.

Most of the Haitians don't live near the border and would have these project will have to be around the major urban areas. The US doesn't have the will to actually help a country develop. Our foreign adventurism is purely motivated by economics and US business interests. The vast majority of people in this country could care less what happens in Haiti.

Your right about the subsidies for energy but who will pay for it and for how long? Also, maintance of these structures is as important as building them.

The Dominican Republic is a sovereign country (out of Vieques) and will never let unification happen. They are just trying to get their foreign debt erased and will make a few compromises. I doubt whether anyone is going to fool Dominicans on this issue. On the other hand, the DR needs to participate in the development of Haiti out of self interest instead of only using them as a cheap labor supply. I have spoken with a number of Haitian in the DR and when you talk about their country, they have the saddest expression on their face.

B

Bob Saunders

I fully agree with TW, Maybe the french speaking countries of the world could do the majority of the rehabilitating of the country. Haiti can become a beautiful and productive country if the people are not living under the yoke of dishonest goverments that are unwilling to admit they need help in almost every area.

R

Rafael

TW and everyone else

At last. Proof that Dominicans have their eyes open on the Haitian situation. For what I have seen around me, not too many Dominicans are aware of the unification efforts on the part of the US and Europe.
I, for one, wouldn't want to be alive if and when this happens because that would be the end of our country and our culture.
Let us hope, that you are all right in that Dominicans would never let this happen.
TW is right in that we all have black, Spanish, ... blood in us; however, the powers that be should understand that we are Dominicans and NOT Haitians.

R

Rafael

TW, everyone else, and possibly Onions and Carrots

In case any of you would care to know:

I, for one, would first convert to Jehovah's Witnesses, be the victim of a serious crime which would require immediate blood transfusion, and die a million times the same, painful way rather than see Haiti and DR become one country.

I do not hate anyone (except maybe for Jehovah's Witnesses). But, I could not live with the fact that Dominican Republic and it's people, culture and character would sieze to exist due to some unification of the island.

I know I would raise some controversy with the following question:
Where is Balaguer and Trujillo when you need them.

Rafael.

A

Abraham

Re: TW, everyone else, and possibly Onions and Car

Right on Rafael,

I think it's time we dominicans let foraigners know what we think
on this subjet.

We are first and foremost, dominicans, and this piece of real state had cost too many lives to just around see it end like that.

I would love to know what the Americans would think about unifying their contry with Cental America, I am sure they would be lining up at the nearest Marines recruting station.

R

Rafael

Re: TW, everyone else

Americans woulnd't be the only ones volunteering for the service-ask any Mexican what they would do in such a case. :)

Rafael.