Playa Grande Beach construction

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Why is construction being allowed on a national park beach?

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Its being presented as a beach access improvement project - a regalo for the public.

What will most likely happen is the local population will be herded to the east end of the beach.
One of the improvements is eliminating vehicles on the beach.
How far will a Dominican family carry the contents if their car down the beach?

Private house are planned for the western portion of the beach.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Why is construction being allowed on a national park beach?

Simple. Money. With money anything is allowed.

This has been a long time in the offing, since when Hipolito's last government sold the Playa Grande Golf Course and adjacent property to an investment firm in the US.

Assuming the renderings along the highway are reasonably accurate, there appear to be less than 30 parking places being made as we speak. This is to replace vehicular access to the beach area. Something tells me that a tad more than 30 vehicles are on that beach between Thur and Sun of any given week.

It will be interesting to see how the Dominicans in this area respond to the development. They will either acquiesce or have a snit fit. But the fact remains the government issued the necessary permits to allow it to happen.

I've been here 10 years...it was a fun decade of no development along that beach; truly pristine and unspoiled. It's sad to see it go but I see no way it can or should be prevented (change is inevitable).

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
The rebar & sitework on the end of the beach is not within the guidelines of 60 meter maritime zone.
Quote from dr1 legal:
Permits: The attorney should confirm that the property to be purchased may be used for the purposes sought by the buyer. There are many legal restrictions which should be taken into account before purchasing. For example, Law 305 of 1968 establishes a 60-meter ?maritime zone? along the entire Dominican coastline, measured from the high tide mark inland, which in effect converts all beaches into public property. No building is allowed within the maritime zone without a special permit from the Executive Branch. Also, in tourist areas, there are building restrictions administered by the Ministry of Tourism.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think that work you refer to is the drainage from the new beach entrance.

Be assured that this project has a blessing from very high up.
All permits have been granted and issued.

This is a HUGE project. Playa Grande Club & Reserve - Dominican Republic

The link is for the Aman Hotel portion and does not include what we are talking about here....
Beach Access and Facilities Improvement.

There will be several new houses in this area.
The food shacks will be relocated to the eastern end of the beach and , as mentioned, parking provided w/ a shuttle service to the beach (I'm holding my breath on that shuttle service)
Public banos, maybe even a museum to showcase the results of the archaeological dig going on near the beach.

dom

Jun 1, 2011
does anyone know where there head offices here in the DR are located ?
where is the company from, what origin do the developers have ?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Look up Boykin Curry and Celerie Kemble and Aman Hotel group and Dolphin Group

That might cover it....

This is a small tsunami..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Apparently, there was an article on the weekend about the archaeological dig going on at the project.

It seems that what they are finding is changing the traditional historical perspective of the country's development and growth.
The belief now is that there more trading interaction than heretofore understood.

Maybe one of the more technically empowered members of the group can source this for us.

As an aside, for those tabloid buffs.......... the dig is on the property belonging to BatMan - Christian Bale.
His reputation is not stellar but he has embraced the project (reportedly) and wants to look for sunken ships now off the coast - of which there are reported to be several.

A true gold coin was found... the first currency minted for the New World - from Spain, about 1501 or thereabouts.

All in all, it may well be interesting stuff.

WW.......................... Walter Winchell, signing off from el Breton , MTS , RD

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Holy Turkey Cakes, BatMan.......... isn't that unbelievable - today.

He has been in the area apparently..... WOW!

There goes the neighborhood...

Seriously, its too bad but he has a pretty bad record of "social responsibility".

Still.... shocking

dom

Jun 1, 2011
does anyone know if they have an office at playa grande, how could i get in touch with some of the bigger guys to apply for a job there ?