Visitor Visa To Canada

luckyduck

Jun 30, 2011
Hello Everyone.

Can anyone share any examples of where a VV was issued to their Dominican visitor? I am fully aware of the difficulties in obtaining a VV....but I am looking to see if anyone in the past 8 months has been successful in their application for a VV. Additionally, has anyone had experience where they were denied and then applied again, and were successful.

Thanks

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I had applied last week and got it. It was very smooth and they did not even asked me anything. Submitted all the documents requested. But I am not a Dominican.

luckyduck

Jun 30, 2011
Therein lies the difference...you are not dominican. Not sure there are many examples out there of your average Dominican getting a visitor visa...discouraging to say the least.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
It is equally difficult to get visa for my passport also. It is matter of satisfying the visa officer that you will return back. They will not reject an application only because you are a Dominican. There are about 12 - 15 dominicans and couple of Haitians got visa the same day as mine.

About six months back an application of a friend of mine who is a Dominican was turned down and the reason told was he do not have enough transaction in his bank account.

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
Hi Lucky You have to show immigration that you will go back.A good job,money in the bank ( old account with a history) ect.

They profiles countries according past experiences.When there have been abuses in the past,they tighten the rules for new visitors.Once in Canada,that person can claim refugee status and live there for 10 years while they make a decision,the whole time,he gets free medicare,welfare and free schooling to learn the language.

I konw that it does't seems fair when Canadians can travel anywhere but each countries have their own rules.

Regards

Mike

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Both the US and Canadian Embassies only give out enough visitor visas so they cannot be accused of not giving them out. Its pure luck. They know from past history that Doms that get off the island do not come back. A friend applied 5 times and on the fifth she got it. Noting changed in her paperwork or circumstances between one and five. They turn down nearly everyone regardless of their connections to the DR. They turned down my wife when we were married four years, living in the DR, owned two houses, two cars, kids in high school and all her family here. They will not give you a reason for the turn down because there is no reason, its policy. As I recall it cost $400 plus to get turned down. They make a ton of money and go thru 4 or 5 hundred people in a day. They have all your info from the computer app but must ask 4 questions before they say no! One of the four they asked my wife was her age!!!! They knew all that. It is a sham and is painful to go through. Good luck

safariknut

Mar 5, 2012
g.php
They will not reject an application only because you are a Dominican. There are about 12 - 15 dominicans and couple of Haitians got visa the same day as mine.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Both the US and Canadian Embassies only give out enough visitor visas so they cannot be accused of not giving them out. Its pure luck. They know from past history that Doms that get off the island do not come back. A friend applied 5 times and on the fifth she got it. Noting changed in her paperwork or circumstances between one and five. They turn down nearly everyone regardless of their connections to the DR. They turned down my wife when we were married four years, living in the DR, owned two houses, two cars, kids in high school and all her family here. They will not give you a reason for the turn down because there is no reason, its policy. As I recall it cost $400 plus to get turned down. They make a ton of money and go thru 4 or 5 hundred people in a day. They have all your info from the computer app but must ask 4 questions before they say no! One of the four they asked my wife was her age!!!! They knew all that. It is a sham and is painful to go through. Good luck

A visitor visa or what is called a Temporary resident visa to Canada is $75.00 per person for single entry, 150 for multiple entry and 400.00 is for a family.

Visiting Canada: Temporary Resident Visas – How to apply

Johana

May 24, 2006
Now that processing is in Santo Domingo they seem to be more realistic and actually approve TRV (temporary resident visa aka visitor visas).
Last year we applied for my mother-in-law for a multiple entry visa and she was approved for 1 yr.
Seeing that she was successful we applied for my FIL and he received a 2yr visa.
For both applications we provided 2 letters of invitation. One from my husband with mostly the basics - travel dates, reason for visit and listing all info we would provide. I sent a 2nd letter that was on a personal level.
Not that you can - but we stated that we would use our condo and vehicle as collateral and provided the documents. We also provided our bank statements to show that we could in fact buy the plane tickets and take care of their expenses while here.

My MIL applied last week for a new visa and today received a 2yr multiple entry visa.

Both had applied for TRV's back when Haiti was processing and both were rejected - so I do believe that this processing change has allowed for some TRV's to be approved.

I know of others that have also been successful for parents and even spouses once permanent resident applications were in process.

Good luck to any applying for a TRV!

Riki

Feb 7, 2012
My husband, who is a Dominican, received a 6 month TRV last summer. This was his second try. He stayed for 6 weeks, then we travelled back together to the DR where we live. I travel back and forth between the DR and Canada every few months. We want to apply for him to visit my family here in Canada again this year. Do you think the likelihood of him being approved is better since he has already received a TRV and returned to the DR with no problem?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
My husband, who is a Dominican, received a 6 month TRV last summer. This was his second try. He stayed for 6 weeks, then we travelled back together to the DR where we live. I travel back and forth between the DR and Canada every few months. We want to apply for him to visit my family here in Canada again this year. Do you think the likelihood of him being approved is better since he has already received a TRV and returned to the DR with no problem?

Seems reasonable that if he already had one and met all conditions such as didn't overstay that there is a good chance he will be approved again. Maybe he could try for a multi entry visa this time.

Let us know how you make out.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008

Hello,
My fiance received a TRV in October 2010 (first attempt) and we went to Canada for Christmas for 3 weeks and returned together as I too live in DR. We're going to be trying again for a multiple entry TRV in May. I'm nervous because the papers are a lot more extensive now than even just a year ago. I know since he got one before he is more likely to receive one again, but still feel very aprehensive about it as so many are continually denied. On his first attempt we were preparing ourselves for the worst, but we're so happy when he was approved.

Please let me know if you have already made another TRV attempt and what the outcome was. I'll be sure to post here as well when he gets his answer in May.

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
While Im not saying its easy its not impossible..I know a couple of Dominicans who have gotten the Canadian Tourist Visa in the last couple of months.I think the best tip is to have a clear yet detailed reason for going to Canada...For instance instead of just saying youre going to Visit a Friend...Say Youre going for Your friends Birthday party on June 1st and if you can bring an actual invitation
Plus dont answer more than asked,Keep your answers short yet clear
These small details help inmho

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Hello,
My fiance received a TRV in October 2010 (first attempt) and we went to Canada for Christmas for 3 weeks and returned together as I too live in DR. We're going to be trying again for a multiple entry TRV in May. I'm nervous because the papers are a lot more extensive now than even just a year ago. I know since he got one before he is more likely to receive one again, but still feel very aprehensive about it as so many are continually denied. On his first attempt we were preparing ourselves for the worst, but we're so happy when he was approved.

Please let me know if you have already made another TRV attempt and what the outcome was. I'll be sure to post here as well when he gets his answer in May.

Following up on my previous post..... My fiance applied for another TRV visa, using the exact same proof that got him the visa the first time. Plus he had the additional proof of having gotten then TRV before and traveled for only 3 weeks and return back to DR before the expiration. Well, despite this his 2nd TRV was denied, citing that the visa officer didn't believe he would return back to DR. What a crock of sh*t seeing as he did return to DR. Just goes to show that just because u get something once, doesn't mean it will happen again. Perhaps the visa officer woke up on the wrong side of the bed. It really is a crap shoot obviously if my fiance already proved that he came back and apparently with the same proof he won't come back this time. I hope your husband fared better than mine did. Perhaps we'll try again and hope we get a visa officer who's in a giving mood. If you haven't tried yet, good luck! Maybe you'll get the luck of the draw!

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
Following up on my previous post..... My fiance applied for another TRV visa, using the exact same proof that got him the visa the first time. Plus he had the additional proof of having gotten then TRV before and traveled for only 3 weeks and return back to DR before the expiration. Well, despite this his 2nd TRV was denied, citing that the visa officer didn't believe he would return back to DR. What a crock of sh*t seeing as he did return to DR. Just goes to show that just because u get something once, doesn't mean it will happen again. Perhaps the visa officer woke up on the wrong side of the bed. It really is a crap shoot obviously if my fiance already proved that he came back and apparently with the same proof he won't come back this time. I hope your husband fared better than mine did. Perhaps we'll try again and hope we get a visa officer who's in a giving mood. If you haven't tried yet, good luck! Maybe you'll get the luck of the draw!

Yes I agree unfortunatly theres no set formulia for Visa issuance...I know people who have traveled to Canada and elsewhere several times and then oneday they denied without much explanation,even though they have a good job,house,car,savings,family and strong ties...I also have friends who have never traveled abroad,really have no assets in DR and are planning on staying in Canada no matter what and they get approved without much hassle.I have a feeling its more about what mood the officer is in and if they liked you more so than actual documents.I have found Canada to be one of the hardest countries for Dominicans to get Temporary visas for...even harder than USA,European countries and Australia...Very odd in did..Best of luck and much positive vibes your way

Zulu

May 27, 2012
Let me tell you how it works, it's like picking the best candidate. Out the amount of people that apply, it's a number game (Probability+Chance=Opportunity); for example the Embassy has a policy of issuing 20 Visas per day out of 100 people that apply so what they do is gather a draw out of the best candidate lets say some (politicians daughter applied on that same day as well as some Bankers Son, a Medical doctor traveling with the family then lets say some guy working at a call center in Santo Domingo) also applies, there is a higher probability that they would reject the guy who works at the call center. They have to screen the applicants really well so in the end it comes down to Money, assets and Insurance- as in what guarantee will you give them that you will return?
Then there is the case of applying on the wrong day my uncle always told me never go to apply for a visa on a Monday or Friday; because on Monday a lot of people tend to be grumpy after the weekend so there are not in the best of moods and Friday people just want to rush so they can get out of the office and enjoy the weekend that means they will not go threw your documents in a timely manner while their counting down the clock hence the saying "s/he must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed today."

Last edited:

Wil_Vic2011

May 20, 2012
Hi All,

A friend of mine and her Boyfriend are trying to visit Canada for 3 weeks. My friend is a Canadian citizen, and her boyfriend is Dominican. They applied last week and went back today to find that his VV was declined. The reasoning was that there was not sufficient evidence that he would return. They provided a proof of employment letter, bank account statements for him and bills that proved that he has open accounts in DR.

My friends father send an invitation letter and included his account information to prove sufficient funds to support him while he is in Canada/ enough for a plane ticket back.

They would like to re-apply but dont know what other information they should include this time around....any ideas?

Many thanks!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Canada is absolutely beautiful in summer and when you think of the number of people that need a VV to enter Canada and the limited number that are issued the difference is staggering.

I think if people tried to visit Canada in the dead of winter they might have a better chance. I'm saying this off the top of my head because I really don't know a thing. I'm just here to direct traffic. ;)

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
Me and my husband have 3 year visitors visa. We applied last year. Same as US Visa, you just need to provide proof that you won't stay. Steady job, steady income, you have a life here... all that shows it.

Steady job with an income that doesn't scream "I earn so little I wouldn't give a rats ass to just quit and stay here" I should clarify this part. If they earn 5000 pesos, that's not reason enough, they could make that in a week working illegally in Canada....