help for travel for photographer. outside of POP

BND1999

Mar 22, 2008
im headed to pop as a guest of someone... while i love the beach my passion is photography... i want to either find a driver or rent a car and get lost in small communities or in the country and do my photography.. (people) documentary and street........

any ideas which way to head from pop... I?m willing to drive a couple of hours in any direction... and OR how far is SDQ? i might consider beginning there.. for a few days and then heading up to pop.. and then drive around from there...

any advice is helpful.. I?m a non touristy type of person.. want to blend into the real environment.. but as a woman traveling alone be safe too.. i don?t know the Dr at all.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hi, You will want to be careful as a single woman. Perhaps rent a car and hire a driver who could also double as security for you. There are areas of Santo Domingo which are quite safe to walk around and photograph, but there are other areas where walking alone could be dangerous, and with the addition of an expensive camera, definitely not recommended.

I would recommend staying out of the big cities, shooting in smaller towns, and you should be fine, but still best to have a driver/security.

I am an amateur photographer with a good camera here for about a year. I left my camera at home, but at some point may bring it to shoot. DR is a photographers dream.

One thing I want to shoot is the many (mostly Haitian) workers in rice and sugar cane fields.

Always respect the locals- ask them first if OK to take their picture when shooting close.

BND1999

Mar 22, 2008
Hi, You will want to be careful as a single woman. Perhaps rent a car and hire a driver who could also double as security for you. There are areas of Santo Domingo which are quite safe to walk around and photograph, but there are other areas where walking alone could be dangerous, and with the addition of an expensive camera, definitely not recommended.

I would recommend staying out of the big cities, shooting in smaller towns, and you should be fine, but still best to have a driver/security.

I am an amateur photographer with a good camera here for about a year. I left my camera at home, but at some point may bring it to shoot. DR is a photographers dream.

One thing I want to shoot is the many (mostly Haitian) workers in rice and sugar cane fields.

Always respect the locals- ask them first if OK to take their picture when shooting close.

thanks for your response.. i will be careful only driving during the day.. never at nite.. and id love to find someone local as a guide if needed but i don't know of anyone on the NE coast.. I?m fairly well travelled and have been shooting long enough that i have a rhythm and method to my madness.. my passion drives me

if y ou know of a guide pls let me know....... or someone i can connect to who might...... are you talking of the cane field buy higuey.. or Hato........ id love to do that as well. looking forward to the DR .. never been there.. but have been studying spanish so practicing will be great too

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hi, If you have traveled in developing countries before, DR I'm sure won't be much different. You should be fine. I don't know of a guide. Possibly post again and title, "Looking for guide/driver on North Coast," and also you may want to do a post specifically on car rental in Puerto Plata.

There is a fairly large agricultural area about 30 miles west of Santiago around the cities of Mao and Esperanza that I have visited- this is where my fiancee is from. But, there are rice and sugar cane fields dotting much of the country as well. I have not heard of the cane fields around Higuey.

There are a number of photographers on this site. Am surprised nobody else answered your question. Maybe also try a post titled, "Best agricultural and rural areas for photography" or similar.

I do know of a person with a driver and I'll ask him for recommendations and if I find anything I'll let you know.

Have a fun time here. It's not a perfect country, however think you will find the rural people are extremely nice. I know I have!!

thanks for your response.. i will be careful only driving during the day.. never at nite.. and id love to find someone local as a guide if needed but i don't know of anyone on the NE coast.. I’m fairly well travelled and have been shooting long enough that i have a rhythm and method to my madness.. my passion drives me

if y ou know of a guide pls let me know....... or someone i can connect to who might...... are you talking of the cane field buy higuey.. or Hato........ id love to do that as well. looking forward to the DR .. never been there.. but have been studying spanish so practicing will be great too

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
If you want a taste of local culture close to Puerto Plata, go to the village of Munoz. It is located about 10 minutes from the eastern end of Puerto Plata. Actually there are two seperate sections of the village. A rather poor Dominican village and a seperate, dirt poor Haitian village. All the people are quite welcoming. I suggest going to the cane fields, the school, the church and the cemetary for interesting photos. Saturday everybody goes to the ball field for some crazy softball games. I suggest going with a driver as the road is a disaster. Don't try to get there during rain as the bridge gets washed over quickly. There is also a riding stable up there as well as some dairy cattle. If you are adventurous you can catch the Munoz public taxi from Central park in Puerto Plata. Very cheap but few drivers speak English. The last stop is "downtown" Munoz.

Last edited:

BND1999

Mar 22, 2008
thanks so much about the information on munoz... i will definitely go there.. it sounds just like the kind of local community i like... i have been studying spanish for a few years and while far from fluent i can make myself understood

if you know any good drivers/guides in the area I’m not abject to doing that.. i planned to rent a car.. so far haven’t secured that.. but thats the intent.. unless i find a driver with car.. any further info is great.. I’m willing to drive a few hours in any direction..

BND1999

Mar 22, 2008
oh and thanks latitude.. will go to mao and esperanza too.. any more info on car rentals or drivers just let me know.. first time to DR.. been all over the caribbean.. just not here

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
oh and thanks latitude.. will go to mao and esperanza too.. any more info on car rentals or drivers just let me know.. first time to DR.. been all over the caribbean.. just not here

thanks so much about the information on munoz... i will definitely go there.. it sounds just like the kind of local community i like... i have been studying spanish for a few years and while far from fluent i can make myself understood

if you know any good drivers/guides in the area I’m not abject to doing that.. i planned to rent a car.. so far haven’t secured that.. but thats the intent.. unless i find a driver with car.. any further info is great.. I’m willing to drive a few hours in any direction..

Call Elias. He is a driver many of us use. He speaks english and has a nice van. He will work out an hourly rate and is very familiar with the north coast. For references, do a search of "Elias" on DR1. His number is 809-842-5557 .

BND1999

Mar 22, 2008
Call Elias. He is a driver many of us use. He speaks english and has a nice van. He will work out an hourly rate and is very familiar with the north coast. For references, do a search of "Elias" on DR1. His number is 809-842-5557 .

does he also have an email.. or strictly uses the phone?

BND1999

Mar 22, 2008
you know its funny.. the only other forum board i have been on is for jamaica.. i used to go there for years... know the island in and out and i was the resource for so many people.. did a lot of photography there... its funny to be a newbie on another board and really know nothing about the island... in jamaica i could rent a car or use drivers with ease.. so i could focus more on the photography and where i was than the room.. thats the best option for me.. its always easier with a local person...

thanks for any and all guidance.. guess what goes around comes around

Denny Dee

Mar 9, 2012
Hello- I am an American graphic designer that lives and works in the DR and I would be interested in going on the photography trip with you. I have my own Nikon and video cameras plus, I have my own laptop and I would love to show you and learn some new places to take photos in this country. (I can share some of my previous photos with you as well.)

If you are still interested in someone to go with you, I am willing to go with you. Please pm me if you are still looking for someone.

BND1999

Mar 22, 2008
denny where are you located and do you have a car??
generally i don’t like to go shoot with anyone else as i move better solo.. but i am not totally opposed either.. . we can be in one community or village but not always in the same steps

let me know where you are.. etc.. I’m coming in april... email me at
m

Last edited by a moderator: