dumb guy phone question

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
on my last trip to D.R. I got a phone (orange) to use for local calls. (punta cana). If I'm not mistaken, my minutes run out after a certain length of time, and if the phone is not used within a certain length of time, the number becomes invalid. So... when I come back in a couple of weeks, I'll have to buy a new sim card and minutes...

Here's the question. can I get this phone unlocked to use it internationally... so I can bring it home (U.S.) and make a call once a month or so just to keep it activated? I could leave it with my R.E. agent to keep it active, but I'd rather not.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Well, you can do the easy thing and just go into an Orange store or Claro store and have them reinstate it for 2-300pesos with the same number. But if you want to go through the drama of avoiding spending $6 I've not come across that and so don't know.

Bahoruco

Jun 24, 2011
Unlock phone

If you want to make (roaming) calls abroad, then you need to ask to take the "block on roaming calls" away. You need to go to an Orange shop, or call their Customer Care to get it done.

Attention
: Making calls (from abroad) is not enough to avoid deactivation of your SIM card/phone number. You should also recharge your prepaid account within a given amount of time. So, you should take enough prepaid scratch cards abroad. A 300 pesos recharge extends the activity period for 90 days.

You have also an automatic recharging system with a credit card, but it works only with a local (Dominican) credit card.

To conclude, a lot of hassle. And it is maybe easier to buy another SIM card every visit, as stated in an earlier post.

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Don't waste your time. First off, you cannot roam with a phone using cards to put in minutes. You would need a contract.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Here's how it works!

Here's how it works! Each time you recharge you get a text message and in that message it tells you, how much, any bonus minutes etc.. but it also give you an expiration date for the minutes purchased. I learned this through trial and error. For example if you recharge for 500 pesos, it gives you a much longer expiration date "3months on average". If you don't use up all the minutes while in the DR and they have not expired when you return you're good to go.

On the other hand, you either have to have someone recharge it for you right before the expiration date for 100 pesos or so, "much cheaper" or go online and do a recarga for $5.00 bucks and it should give you another 3 months.

gotta have a celli in the DR man, good luck.

Jan 17, 2009
Let it expire! You just get a new number with a new card when you come back for just 100 pesos. You'll be wasting a lot of $ in recharges that will expire in less the 20-30 days.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I recharge my phone online using this link. A $10 charge extends the expiration date 90 days. If I don't use it within the 90 days, I just recharge it again. The previous unused balance is not lost, it is added to the new recharge and itexpires at the new expiration. When I eventually get to the DR the phone may have $20-25 in credits, but that is quickly used. Surprise your family and friends back home!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
thanks for all the help and comments. I'm not really concerned with the cost, I just don't want to have to change numbers faster than I change underwear. When I give my number to new friends, I'd like it to work when they try to call. To be honest, prepaid phones / minute cards, etc. are new to me... I've always had monthly plans here at home.

OH.. and Giveadog... NO... $6 is NOT drama. I didn't know they would reinstate with the same number. I was told once the phone expired, I'd have to get a new number... and that WOULD be drama... or at least an inconvenience.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
thanks for all the help and comments. I'm not really concerned with the cost, I just don't want to have to change numbers faster than I change underwear. When I give my number to new friends, I'd like it to work when they try to call. To be honest, prepaid phones / minute cards, etc. are new to me... I've always had monthly plans here at home.

OH.. and Giveadog... NO... $6 is NOT drama. I didn't know they would reinstate with the same number. I was told once the phone expired, I'd have to get a new number... and that WOULD be drama... or at least an inconvenience.
I agree with you. Just recharge it online every 80-90 days online for $10 and you will always keep your number active and not lose any minutes that expire.

North coast newbie

Jul 30, 2006
Orange only allows two sim cards per passport. Reactivation is not a problem but buying a third card is. Also Orange phones (at least the cheap ones) use a different frequency and cannot be used internationally.