Blackberry phone question

brl

Mar 7, 2012
New to the site. need help. going to DR in a few months and looking to give my friend a blackberry phone as a present. will any bb i buy here in the US be able to get turned on in DR? all help is appreciated. muchas gracias

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Make sure it operates on GSM with a chip/sim card (i.e.TMobile/AT&T), not CDMA (i.e. Verizon/Sprint). If it's already unlocked, it can be activated in minutes, if not you will have to go to a shop that will unlock it before activating it.

Feb 7, 2007
If it is unlocked, yes. If your Friend uses Claro, buy him AT&T BB. If he uses Orange, buy him Tmobile BB.

scottzech

Oct 1, 2010
Also, you can go online easily and get the blackberry unlocked for free or almost free. I did it here for 2.99 US online and it took about 1/2 hour.

New to the site. need help. going to DR in a few months and looking to give my friend a blackberry phone as a present. will any bb i buy here in the US be able to get turned on in DR? all help is appreciated. muchas gracias

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
If it is unlocked, yes. If your Friend uses Claro, buy him AT&T BB. If he uses Orange, buy him Tmobile BB.

Actually that statement is only partially correct.

***ANY*** gsm phone (BB or otherwise) works with Orange -or- Claro. The deciding factor is if they want want 3G internet speeds.

Then the previous statement about AT&T & Claro is correct....BUT....T-Mobile and Orange do NOT share 3G frequencies. Been there, done that, and learned the hard way.

Also, CDMA phones do work there...it's just a pain the the a$$ to get connected.

Too bad more people on this island don't appreciate Android...if they only knew the possibilities!

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011

DANGER!!! DANGER!!!!

I almost missed that!

Don't want to make any assumptions, but the danger alarm did go off ;)

Morenito0211

Dec 18, 2009
sorry to highjack the thread but...what is the difference between Android and Iphone? or the blackberry?
Thanks in advance

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Actually that statement is only partially correct.

***ANY*** gsm phone (BB or otherwise) works with Orange -or- Claro. The deciding factor is if they want want 3G internet speeds.

Then the previous statement about AT&T & Claro is correct....BUT....T-Mobile and Orange do NOT share 3G frequencies. Been there, done that, and learned the hard way.

Also, CDMA phones do work there...it's just a pain the the a$$ to get connected.

Too bad more people on this island don't appreciate Android...if they only knew the possibilities!

Sorry for hijacking X 2....

I got T-Mo HTC Sansation for me and ATT Captivate for my wife. So I guess we will be getting two different provider for phones. But here is my question. Is there family plan or multiple phone discounts in DR? I asked my friend and they all say no. I don't like bills but if there's no advantage on getting one provider, I'll sign up for two provider.

TIA...

agw

Feb 14, 2010
Calls are a little cheaper to the same provider. Orange to Orange, Claro to Claro etc. So it is an advantage to use the same provider if you are mainly calling the one number.

Feb 7, 2007

If GSM calls and EDGE speed (2G) is the only factor, you can also get a CDMA phone from Sprint or Verizon (e.g. BB Tour) and you can connect it to BIS in Claro, Orange, or Viva, in all 3 companies you will be able to make calls and get slow EDGE speeds on all 3 carriers. BTW Orange EDGE speeds are now WAAAAY slower than what they used to be...but Viva and Claro still rule in EDGE "slowness"

Yes you are correct that T-Mobile does not share 3G frequencies with Orange. T-Mobile USA uses 1700/2100 Mhz and Orange uses 900 MHz, BUT (and here is the BIG BUT), most 3G/UMTS phones come in two versions: 850/1900/2100 Mhz and 900/1700/2100 Mhz. For use in Europe, ANY 3G phone is OK. For use in the DR, AT&T phone works 3G on Claro (both use 850 MHz frequency), and as far as T-Mobile is concerned MOST T-Mobile 3G phones WILL work on Orange, adn ALL T-Mobile BB's will work in Orange 3G.

Let me elaborate:
BB does make 850/1900/2100 MHz and 900/1700/2100 UMTS (3G) HSDPA/+ version of phones. I have not seen a BB "SO FAR" that would have only 1700/2100 MHz in 3G, but not 900 Mhz (they come in that three-band pack). In otherwords, I have not yet seen a BB that would have been released only on T-Mobile USA (but maybe there are).
SOME OTHER 3G phones (especially T-Mobile branded phones) as well as as some HTC MAY HAVE only 1700/2100 MHz band for 3G and not 900 Mhz.

Again, most phones that do have 1700/2100 Mhz also do have 900 MHz.

BUT the easiest thing to do is this: on google type "specifications your-phone-model gsmarena" and you can easily check the 3G bands. if the phone says 850/1900/2100 it will work on Claro and in USA its' sold by AT&T. if it says 900/1700/2100 in the USA you can buy it in T-Mobile and it will work on Orange. If it says just 1700/2100 or just 2100 it won't work in the DR on either carrier in 3G. Also, most phones will have two lines of 3G specs on GSMArena, e.g 850/*** and 900/*** that does not mean they support both 850/*** and 900/*** bands, it's that there are two versions, one 850/*** and one 900/***

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
If GSM calls and EDGE speed (2G) is the only factor, you can also get a CDMA phone from Sprint or Verizon (e.g. BB Tour) and you can connect it to BIS in Claro, Orange, or Viva, in all 3 companies you will be able to make calls and get slow EDGE speeds on all 3 carriers. BTW Orange EDGE speeds are now WAAAAY slower than what they used to be...but Viva and Claro still rule in EDGE "slowness"

Yes you are correct that T-Mobile does not share 3G frequencies with Orange. T-Mobile USA uses 1700/2100 Mhz and Orange uses 900 MHz, BUT (and here is the BIG BUT), most 3G/UMTS phones come in two versions: 850/1900/2100 Mhz and 900/1700/2100 Mhz. For use in Europe, ANY 3G phone is OK. For use in the DR, AT&T phone works 3G on Claro (both use 850 MHz frequency), and as far as T-Mobile is concerned MOST T-Mobile 3G phones WILL work on Orange, adn ALL T-Mobile BB's will work in Orange 3G.

Let me elaborate:
BB does make 850/1900/2100 MHz and 900/1700/2100 UMTS (3G) HSDPA/+ version of phones. I have not seen a BB "SO FAR" that would have only 1700/2100 MHz in 3G, but not 900 Mhz (they come in that three-band pack). In otherwords, I have not yet seen a BB that would have been released only on T-Mobile USA (but maybe there are).
SOME OTHER 3G phones (especially T-Mobile branded phones) as well as as some HTC MAY HAVE only 1700/2100 MHz band for 3G and not 900 Mhz.

Again, most phones that do have 1700/2100 Mhz also do have 900 MHz.

BUT the easiest thing to do is this: on google type "specifications your-phone-model gsmarena" and you can easily check the 3G bands. if the phone says 850/1900/2100 it will work on Claro and in USA its' sold by AT&T. if it says 900/1700/2100 in the USA you can buy it in T-Mobile and it will work on Orange. If it says just 1700/2100 or just 2100 it won't work in the DR on either carrier in 3G. Also, most phones will have two lines of 3G specs on GSMArena, e.g 850/*** and 900/*** that does not mean they support both 850/*** and 900/*** bands, it's that there are two versions, one 850/*** and one 900/***

Thanks for clearing this up!!!
So my unlocked HTC Sensation 4G will most likily work on Orange 3G.
GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
UMTS: 900, 1700/2100, 2100 MHz
Data: HSDPA 14.4 Mbit/s, HSUPA 5.76 Mbit/s, UMTS, EDGE

And my wife's unlocked Sammy Captivate will most likily work on Claro 3G.
GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
UMTS: 850, 1900, 2100 MHz
Data: HSDPA 7.2 Mbit/s, UMTS, EDGE

We will be using Google voice with GroovIp so Data is important to us. I don't know the prices for min/data in DR yet but it's cheaper way to make calls in US to US/World, and voice quality wasn't bad either.

Feb 7, 2007
I have not yet actually tried making a VOIP call on 3G in the DR, neither Orange nor Claro. But DO NOT expect constant quality always.

Feb 7, 2007
@Koreano - No family plans in the DR. Claro has something call "flotilla" (fleet) where you can call free among the phones, but minimum is I think 3. Orange does not have that service. Both Claro and Orange have fleet calling for business. Also both limit your data in 3G (GB cap).

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I have not yet actually tried making a VOIP call on 3G in the DR, neither Orange nor Claro. But DO NOT expect constant quality always.
I don't expect much from DR 3G services but from office internet 2MB up it seems clear as a dime, and it was free phone calls too. I read somewhere VOIP calls don't suck up too much bandwidth so let's see how it goes...

@Koreano - No family plans in the DR. Claro has something call "flotilla" (fleet) where you can call free among the phones, but minimum is I think 3. Orange does not have that service. Both Claro and Orange have fleet calling for business. Also both limit your data in 3G (GB cap).

Good to know. I did had Verizon Unlimited plans back in US and I know reading posts on dr1 and few other websites don't uses too much bandwidth. But there are times I do use it extensively. Like when I need to watch sporting event on my Slingbox through my phones but I'll try to limit my usage on strictly web pages and google map and Slingbox on Wifi for awhile.

Thanks...