The King of Dominican Golf (according to DR1ers)

Of the two greatest Dominican golf courses, which one is truly the king?

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
As many of you know, the Dominican Republic is second to none when it comes to golfing in the Caribbean and Central America. Not only do we have the most number of courses, but also some of the best in the world.

The two titans of Dominican golf are Diente de Perro (aka, Teeth of the Dog) in La Romana and Punta Espada in Punta Cana.

teeth-of-the-dog-5-L.jpg

Diente de Perro, inaugurated in 1971, is legendary among golf enthusiasts everywhere. This course is such a big deal, that for the unfortunates not able to play it in person, they can actually do it in virtual reality via the Microsoft Golf simulators for the PC, which includes some of the best and most legendary courses like St Andrews in Scotland, Pebble Beach in California and yes, you guessed it, Teeth of the Dog!

Golf Magazine, in its "The 50 Greatest Courses of the Last 50 Years", has ranked Diente de Perro as the 8th greatest golf course in the world and, by default, the greatest golf course in Central America & the Caribbean, plus the 7th greatest golf course in the Western Hemisphere! (Interactive Map: The 50 Greatest Courses of the Last 50 Years | GOLF.com)

968-1-WSpuntaespada.jpg

Punta Espada is the newest kid on the Dominican golfing block, having been inaugurated in 2006. Tucked away in the expansive Cap Cana multi-resort/residential complex, just south of the Puntacana Resort & Club, lies this course unlike anything else in the Greater Antilles. The sensual combination of the sapphire blues of the Caribbean sea and the majestic bluff dominating the skyline to the south and southwest, sure makes this one of the most beautiful courses anywhere. Golf Magazine has ranked this as the 2nd best Jack Nicklaus designed golf course in the world (Top 10 Nicklaus Courses You Can Play | GOLF.com). Punta Espada is also the only Dominican golf course to have been graced with its own PGA Tour Championship event for a few years.

Even among such greats, only one can be the king among DR1 golf enthusiast!

Last edited:

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Played Teeth of the Dog twice in my lifetime, GREAT EXPERIENCE............

But I'm more of a Metro....(Juan Dolio) kind of guy......

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
One course that is beautiful but never really has taken off with the international recognition it deserves is Playa Grande. We stayed there often when it was first built and there was no one playing so even our kids got to play on it at an easy relaxed pace in the evenings. It has some amazing views. Our caddie even found us a hermit crab on the course that we had for five years as a memento. :)

La Romana Country Club is another very nice course that seldom receives as much attention as it should. Part of that is how limited the opportunities are for the general public to play the course but it is also lovely.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree with expatsooner!!! Absolutely Playa Grande at its best was the most sensational course in the DR. By far.

Like cigar or wine ratings, money talks and Casa de Campo and Cap Cana spent the money. Both are truly great courses and any golfer would put them on their bucket list. La Romana CC is also a fine course as is Dye Fore...and if you haven't played the PD Dye course at La Estancia in La Romana...oh boy, what a treat you have in store.

Golf in the DR is truly unparalleled in all of the Caribbean....from perhaps three 'golf" courses when I got here to perhaps over 30 now? (Santo Domingo Country Club, the holes created by the Yuquera in Santiago with oiled greens, and the 9 holes in Manzanillo.)

HB

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
dont forget Corales in PC
played there in November and I was only 1 of the 5 persons who played it that day
PC resort should make it more available
first played "Teeth" in 1980
feel Punta Espada is better

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I worked two PGA tournaments at Punta Espada and don't have the words for the complete awesomeness of that golf course. 'Course the green fees run like $250+ there. But a spectacular course...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Playa Grande
Everybody who sees this course agrees about its scenic beauty and layout.... unparalleled in the Caribbean.

Hopefully, the new money will restore the necessary conditioning to the course.

I am told it will get all new grasses, tees and greens plus traps w/ drainage.
from the horse's mouth......

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Playa Grande
Everybody who sees this course agrees about its scenic beauty and layout.... unparalleled in the Caribbean.

Hopefully, the new money will restore the necessary conditioning to the course.

I am told it will get all new grasses, tees and greens plus traps w/ drainage.
from the horse's mouth......

Agreed, awesome course with all those holes right on the water, had the pleasure of playing Playa Grande three times. I'm def gonna play it again........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hurry up and play... it mightbe restricted to the high and mighty....

The future is uncertain for general play..... soon

Then again, you might qualify...........???
Be sure to wear a shirt w/ a collar