PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Frank Ranieri: FROM TRANSLATOR TO OWNER IN PUNTA CANA

Frank Ranieri.
Carmen Suarez / Clave Digital.
July 2009

SANTO DOMINGO, DN- Everything is ready for lunch at the office of hotelier Frank Ranieri. The main guest is the Secretary of Public Works with whom the team stumbles into the elevator.

In the lobby of the office of Ranieri, there are upholstered wall pictures with political leaders most prominent of the last 36 years. Precisely the age of Punta Cana, a project born from "nothing" that today is among the 10 companies that contribute most to the Treasury. And is that policy and activity business which goes hand in hand in the fragile framework of the institutional Dominican Republic.

Outgoing and sociable, the hotelier weighs in the new attempt at tax reform to the existence of a national development plan, "as I told Balaguer in 1986 at the American Chamber of Commerce. "

Ranieri, associated with Ted Kheel, a prominent U.S. labor lawyer since 1971, the couturier Oscar de la Renta and singer Julio Iglesias, since 1997, positioned his project to the height of the jet set internationally. Senator Hillary Clinton and her husband Bill Clinton, former U.S. President, have six consecutive years vacationing in Punta Cana

Then the conversation with Frank Ranieri, who confirms that he was blocked by industry peers
not to assume the presidency of the National Council Private Enterprise (CONEP), the main organization of Dominican Republic's business.

P. How the story begins for Punta Cana?

R. The lands were purchased by Americans in 1967 Merchant Seamen's Union called on President Johnson some land in a national park build a merchant marine school, because gave crude. They were at war in Vietnam.

President Johnson told them to come to Dominican Republic and find a site. He intended to help the Dominican Republic to overcome the effects of the civil war of 1965.

They came and photographed
from the air all along the coast looking for an appropriate place. during one of the photo surveys were found the beautiful beaches of the East. They did not speak Spanish and I was hired as a translator because my uncle Oscar Imbert, who lived in Puerto Rico, was contacted.

I was a recent graduate, was 24 years old, and ran a little business of tractors and spray planes associated with Pedro Morales Troncoso Pastoriza and Sebastian. I believed that my future lay in agriculture.

P. How did they get the land?

R. They asked me to find out who the owners were. The first record found dating to 1938 was to the name Salvador Coiscou Ortiz and Eduardo Read Barreras. Then passed to Br?gido Perez and Eduardo Read Barreras.

The titles were passed from hand to hand
until in 1964 Carlos Manuel Rodriguez, of San Pedro de Macoris, bought most of the 5,000 hectares, and Honorio Gonzalez Mateo, a furniture dealer, got 62 hectares in return for a bedroom set a higueyano had bought and had no way to pay those notes and paid by giving up his title.

From Carlos Manuel Rodriguez and Gonzalez we bought the land from via
the Tourism Development Company
Residential and Industrial (CODDETRESA). We bought 5,788 hectares on December 18, 1969. There begins
Punta Cana These people wanted desperate to get rid of the land, there were no roads, no nothing.

P. How you met Ted Kheel?

R. Ted Kheel, a labor lawyer with a history of a 18 000 mediations in his career, gave a party in Miami attended by bankers and unionists. Amid the celebration, one of the people who had taken photographs of the beaches
of the East showed some photos, and announced that Dominican Republic were selling 15,000 acres (58
million meters) for 250 thousand dollars.

Ted, who had two drinks over, proposed that each of those present furnished $ 25,000 to buy them. Among which were the Tishman brothers, builders of the twin towers, Edmond Zafra, then president of the Republic Bank, John Dunlop, among others.

The
unionists said they had no money but Kheel devised a method for financing and they agreed to not be left out of the business deal. Kheel asked the person that had obtained the photos-Keith-Treito to come to the Dominican Republic to buy the land and find out what to do with them.

As I spoke English Treito hired me to be his advisor.
I got through to Alfredito Mario Imbert who lent (rented) me the helicopter that was of Ramfis Trujillo. We Bought the land but it took 6 months and the project advance stalled.

P. Finally, how a translator becomes a partner?

R. I had read in a Life magazine article about a fishing village where it was to be shoot a film with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton.

They said that after
that movie was filmed, "The Night of the Iguana", Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, would become a tourism destination. When I traveled by jeep the area from Macao to Juanillo, I was struck by the area. The worm of hotel adventure running through my veins.

My grandparents had directed the best hotels of its time in 1900 Puerto Plata and Santiago.

When I attended a meeting with
Ted Kheel at his office in New York at 280 Park Avenue, he was accompanied by about 30 members, all of whom were people with the ability to call the White House directly.

They
began to ask what had been done and what was going be done and he, who had hired me, had no
answwers. I remembered what I had read in the magazine Life and said the first thing to do was to buy a tractor, build some cabins, a house Club, a small landing strip and two power plants.

Days later Kheel called to offer me work.
He wanted to do all that I said at the meeting in record time. With the boldness of my 24 years, I told him that I did not work for anyone, but as partner and I asked to be given some shares.
He asked how much I earned on wages. And I think that was the only time I lied to him. I told him
USD$ 800. He agreed to pay me $ 1,200 monthly and a percentage of the shares if I fulfilled all that I had said and the estimated cost price.

So
Punta Cana began as I inaugurated the cabins on 24 October 1971. President Balaguer attended the
inauguration. The road was difficult. The country was not prepared for that and I was against the Central Bank with all staff to boot.

P. Why was it against? The impression we have is that you gain an alliance with all governments.

R. Quite the contrary. We never got included in the law 153 of tourism incentives. I opened my cabins in time,
on October 24, 1971 and in 1972 got opened Infratur. But instead of receiving support I find a State body totally against, because they said that if would invest in the country it had to be done where the
government said, not where Frank Ranieri wanted.

The law
153 Balaguer had issued was one which he had also maimed. The law only favored the tourist resorts of
Santo Domingo, Boca Chica and Puerto Plata. This delayed the tourism development in the region.

To build (1977 -
1980) the Club Med, with whom later we partnered, we had to commit to pay the Central Bank USD $ 20 per room. We were the only ones thus penalized by the state. We got qualified in 1986 when we were going to build Punta Cana Beach Resort, after years of struggle.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
P. Balaguer went to Punta Cana in 1971 to the inauguration of the cabins. If Balaguer was there back in 1971, do not tell me that Balaguer did not help.

R. I have had the recognition, perhaps because I was very young, from all the presidents of this country. I had
their respect, but not their support.

P. Balaguer, did he believe in tourism?

R. In his own style. Balaguer realized that tourism could play a role, because he had been ambassador to many places, so he introduced Incentive Law 153 for Tourism, but he mutilated it himself. You were handed a castrated instrument. After Club Med was built we spent six years and three governments waiting for permission to build the airport in Punta Cana

P. Did you do better with President Antonio Guzman?

R. President Guzman attended the first breakground ceremony to begin the construction of Club Med.
I have a beautiful picture with Mrs Ren?e, Don Antonio, Haydee and I as we sat in rocking chairs under the coconuts on the banks of the beach.

Don Antonio continued the asphalting of the road
and another local road that went from the Otra Banda up near Punta Cana, that had been started with the administration of Balaguer, that we would build the Club Med, but required us to deliver X amount of foreign currency for each guest, penalty that had no other hotel in the country.

In
the Mediterran?e no state funding or much less. They asphalted 48 km, but the last 12 we had to do it ourselves. Hotel chains Melia, Rius, all have had to make their roads so far. In the Bavaro-Punta Cana the Governments have hardly done anything.

P. The situation changed. Did the government of President
Leonel Fernandez carried out works?

R. Since last year the government is doing the tourist corridor that runs from the airport of Punta Cana to Bavaro.

P. But this work, is not the one started by President Hipolito Mejia?

R. Hipolito, forgive me, President Mej?a told me that he was not going to build a road to anyone, if I wanted a road to do it myself, which I did.

That was said by my
old friend Hipolito Mejia. The leaders recognize me, but I am independent in judgment and
I say what I want and always end up fighting with them. Or they fought with me, because they will not tell you
things independently. I was born on October 24 (the same day as Trujillo ), I've been a rebel all my
life.

With Don Antonio, I got the support for
the Mediterran?e so we could built it, it was that way becuase as he went to the inauguration, he realized the importance, however, he spent his four years without approving the airport.

P. What was the objection? Their reasoning? Why
opposed?

R. I hate to mention it. Were interests, interests ...

P. What happened during the government of President Salvador
Jorge Blanco?

R. When Salvador, sorry, President Jorge Blanco - always keep the respect of elected past officials- precisely July 4, 1982, for Don Antonio died that night, we invited him for lunch and he asked what had to put the government to build the airport. I told him nothing. "And there is no collateral for the government "," None, I said to the President. " Then, he promised that since the moment he took office he would give us permission. And so it was.

P. When did you start?

R. We started building in 1983, opened in December 1983, although it commercially opened in 1984. In 1987 we get international funding to extend the runway 400 feet to 10,400 feet opening the door for inter-oceanic travelers.

P. They say it's a gold mine.

R. It is extremely efficient, but the first year we had only 2,400 passengers. I had to wake up in the Saturdays at 4 am, I rented a camionetica from Gaetano Pellice and went to pick up the Immigration inspectors, two customs, one of the DNI, and a guard. We came to San Pedro de Macoris at six in the morning. That gave them breakfast and we continued to Punta Cana were we arrived at 10 am.

At 11:
30 am arrived a small plane Prinair of Puerto Rico with 19 passengers. The day that arrived two or three Prinair was one day of success. We would end at 12:30 that afternoon and reached the capital in the afternoon. I went to sleep because at 8:30 in the evening I had to go to Neon (one of the clubs in Santo Domingo, located at the Hotel Hispaniola) to support my family.

I spent seven years without being able to draw a salary,
but thanks to that my shares were growing.
Currently, (THIS ARTICLE IS FROM 2009) the airport of Punta Cana is in third place in number of tourists received in Central America, the Caribbean and the east coast of Mexico. Only Cancun and San Juan de Puerto Rico, with cruises and as it is the "Hub" of American Airlines, receive more tourists than the Punta Cana Airport

The airport will close this year with 1,
750,000 passengers. It is the number one airport in the country, but spent 12 years losing money. These are things that people do not understand. You now have much success, but requires continuous investments in the millions. We have to build another runway (ALREADY BUILT TODAY).

P. Your brother was the secretary of Tourism (1986) of Balaguer's new government when they included Punta
Cana in the law of incentives.

R. But my brother acted against me. He put clauses that they do not put on others. I was penalized enormously. So I have always objected that the incentives are not sectoral laws. They must include the entire country. The tourist destination is the Dominican Republic. Spain is Spain. It is not supposedly Madrid, Mallorca or
Asturias. We must stop these regionalisms.

A need is to build highways so people can move quickly from one extreme to another.
Between 1987 and 1988 the hotel was built in Punta Cana, but the airport spent 12 years losing money.

P. Why do you say that you fight with the governments of turn?

R. I have always been very independent and critic, business people do not expect that.

The entrepreneur scheme
we have here is generally that one that takes what says the government as it negotiates with the ruler of turn. I intend to be institutionalist and both times I chaired the American Chamber of
Commerce and the National Association of Hotels and Restaurants (Asonahores), I showed my
performances. I did the same when I was the first CONEP vice.

P. Youcould have had become president of the Council National Companies (CONEP), is it true that they
blocked you?

R. It's true. I got blocked because I am very independent.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
P. How is handled that most prestigious business organization? Is there no democracy there?

R. Ask them.

P. I've been asking, without success, to the now ex-president Elena Viyella are there sectors "owners" of CONEP?

R. Yes, yes, certainly. I really was blocked. The CONEP has not become an institution with a suitable criteria. A lot has been made in multiple efforts, their presidents in recent years have tried to break that, but is a process.

It goes very hand in hand with the country and do not forget that we have moved from a feudal society to
where we are today. Entrepreneurs have evolved, but I think institutions like the presidency of CONEP must be in the hands of an entrepreneur, it must be a paid position, so you can talk without the government of the day
"Pulling". If I were a paid professional, no one could "Pull it."

P. At the present juncture,are attached to the position of CONEP and other organizations against tax reform? Do you also want austerity?

R. The President gave a good first step when he announced his austerity plan. What happens is that we all know you can always do more. The second is that for me a tax reform can not be independent of a country's development plan. Tax reform should respond to a development plan and not vice versa.

P. And the removal of incentives for tourism?

R. In 2004 when President Fernandez did not had yet taken office, we went together to Mallorca.
He wanted to put the 5% tax on hotel rooms and he met hoteliers, Spanish and Dominicans, and we gave the President the facts of why that was inappropriate.

What is more important to collect
5% of what there is, change the rules and not have an extra room or afford to invest in build more hotel rooms, more golf courses, more housing for foreigners?

Then the
President got it. We hope he understands it now too. Only in the area of ​​Punta Cana in the last 30 months have been built 6,000 new rooms. The important thing is not a fiscal reform that is not for or against-the important thing in a national development plan as it was told in 1986 when Balaguer attended the luncheon of the American Chamber of Commerce.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
P. How will this tax reform affect projects that are in progress?

R. It will affect the country. Projects that based their numbers in existing laws can stop and go
to move to another country in the Caribbean or Central America, that have incentives laws.

Twelve of our major competitors, including Costa Rica, Panama and now Venezuela are making an incentive-law.
Mexico, Jamaica, Barbados, Honduras. The only one without a tourism incentive law is Guatemala and is therefore behind. The capital could move into these areas. Already the export sector, the sector where belongs tourism is being penalized for a long time with the overvalued dollar rate. We failed to bring that as an issue because we know it a very political issue, but is a reality, and should be considered. All sectors that benefit
from that privileged rate being used are the imports sector and is affecting the exporter sectors.

P. The Human Development Report, prepared by the UNDP, criticizes the exclusive tourism model that you and industry leaders implemented in the country.

R. These international organizations do their studies and not even meet us. They may be the best way to make the State understand their mistakes and how could they most benefit the country.

Why are we the All Included? What choice do we have? Hit the streets around any of our hotels and find garbage, holes in the pavement, blackouts. Punta Cana enjoyed permanent electricity because we depended on our own generators and private distributors. No conditions for tourists to get out of hotels to spend and bring the benefits of tourism distributed.

Why does it not benefit the colonial Santo Domingo the one million 700 thousand tourists that come to Punta Cana? Because there is not a road that can bridge them in an hour and a half. (A ROAD IS THERE TODAY)

I have four governments trying to make them understand that if 50% of tourists arriving in Punta Cana travel to Santo Domingo, and spend on average $ 100 each, that would give a dynamic to the Colonial zone and would have resources, through ITBIS charged on sales to keep it as a silver cup. But there's no road. (A ROAD IS THERE TODAY)

We can not do more than we do. But I can tell you that the province with the highest per capita in the country is La Altagracia, which is second place in banks and communications, and is otherwise Third in taxes, and is the largest source of foreign currency in the Dominican Republic. That province was an abandoned lot 25 years ago and today has 34,600 rooms in operation. (A LOT MORE TODAY)

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
P. In your view, what are the stages of Dominican tourism industry?

R. This has been like a carousel. Not forgetting Operation Duarte. The government (Balaguer), believed that it would control the foreign currency market. Between 1989 and 1990 it almost lead to bankruptcy for all.

No development policy.
We hoteliers were accused of being currency black marketeers.
We sold the currency every day, but the country imported more than it generated. That was my fight with Balaguer. The great boom in construction of hotels, going from 94 to 97 followed when they freed the exchange markets.

Previously, when Jorge Blanco, the release causes the first boom between 1983 and 1984 when people start to invest .. Then in 1992, tourism have started again growing. We stop at times, each time gets a tax reform designed not based on a development plan. Nobody will invest where they will lose money and we are wrong to believe that only with beaches we'll have tourism. That's not enough.

P. What was the last break? Is that what we now know as these reforms?

R. What we lived in 2003 and 2004, when the currency went to 50 and up, we had instability. We do not want exchange privileges or higher rates, we want the real rate. An artificially high currency rate creates volatility, and no one invests or comes to the country. That's when the fiscal reform began in 2003 and 2004 and stopped everything.

When Fernandez,-during the transition- started given security for investors, restarted the investments. I still have not stopped, but only because we hope to weigh things and be given the treatment as a national development plan should be given to each area.

P. Business success depends to a large extent to political ties?

R. In my case it never has been, thank God.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
P. Have not had to help fund campaigns or policies?

R. I've been to dinner several times, but I try .they respect me as an entrepreneur as I have respect for the
political class. I have given support to people whom I have believed that may have a future. A Pacheco (Alfredo) I supported economically when he was about forty years old and began his political career and Pe?a G?mez promised hewas going to back him as a candidate for regidor.

I knew him from my social work at the Cuarenta de Cristo Rey. Was then but a boy. I think we should encourage the good politicians. Now, I have never taken to test them.

No official can say that I went to get a privilege. My companies have never had privileges. We broke it harder. We did an airport when no one dared to do so. We are among the 10 largest taxpayers and collectors who have the Treasury in Dominican Republic.

We are not perfect, but we're here not only to make money. We are committed with our family and society.

P. Finally, how did you transition into "jet set" internationally?

R. Former President Bill Clinton and his wife Senator Hillary Clinton have honored us with their presence during
6 consecutive years. When we are in a event in the United States when he introduces me as his "landlord".

Oscar de la Renta phoned me a few years ago (1997), saying he wanted to buy a solar in Punta Cana ,I thought it was Angel Rosario Vi?as (Cichio) kidding. He said he would be accompanied by Julio Iglesias. I did not sell because Idid not really have the capital for real estate development in the time, but after several conversations they became our partners.

The partners of all, ie, the Punta Cana Group, which includes the airport, hotels, real estate development. For all has been convenient. Punta Cana has become the second Oscar's house and the constant of Julio. We all
won, including the country, I can not even imagine the international promotion we have received it as such.

http://www.clavedigital.com.do/

articulo=8812

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
historyofpuntacana2.jpg

puntacanahistory.jpg

historyofpuntacana.jpg

punta-cana-airport-1984.jpg

pista.jpg

original.jpg

[video=youtube;t6Hzc3usYMY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Hzc3usYMY[/video]

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
Interesting!
thanks for that, wish a question was asked about how the Punta Cana region could be set up to benifit locals
and how a "community" could be developed here.
Is one big thing that disapoints me here is how the focus is only one the success of the resorts and the "tourist" experience.
Whilst most Dominicans and others live in make shift residental areas (unless you have the money to live well in a gated residental).
This is one place in the world where there is no public parks, no public buildings and nothing done to promote community.
With a little foresight, a little effort and a small percentage of the profits, Punta Cana could of been a great Town.
Maybe too Late??

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Interesting!
thanks for that, wish a question was asked about how the Punta Cana region could be set up to benifit locals
and how a "community" could be developed here.
Is one big thing that disapoints me here is how the focus is only one the success of the resorts and the "tourist" experience.
Whilst most Dominicans and others live in make shift residental areas (unless you have the money to live well in a gated residental).
This is one place in the world where there is no public parks, no public buildings and nothing done to promote community.
With a little foresight, a little effort and a small percentage of the profits, Punta Cana could of been a great Town.
Maybe too Late??

Are you sure of what you're saying?

No public parks?

No public buildings?

They're as populous as Dominican flags all around the country!

There's a cooperatives in each town and a myriad in major cities...

You really need to venture more outside your gated home in the DR...

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
Are you sure that you can read?
Was specificly talking about the Punta Cana Region as that was the topic of the thread!

Can you tell me of any Public parks, public facilities of note here?

The issue I was bringing up was how poorly Punta Cana\Bavaro has been developed as a town
the only consideration for planning has been for the tourists, with lack of regard for those living / working in the area.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Was specificly talking about the Punta Cana Region as that was the topic of the thread!

The issue I was bringing up was how poorly Punta Cana\Bavaro has been developed as a town
the only consideration for planning has been for the tourists, with lack of regard for those living / working in the area.

Again you seem lost!

There's no such thing as a Punta Cana or Bavaro town. All that there was build for hotels from the ground up...

The only thing close to both is the real town of La Otra Banda... There you can find the flags, park and townhall, as well as the three local cooperativas...

What they named pueblo Bavaro was a residential built by the same investors in the area, about a 10 x 10 blocks of new homes for foreigners.

The real pueblos are easy to see and spot!

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

What PICHARDO said.

It was and area developed for tourists, it was never a town built for families etc.
But I agree, the development has been uncontrolled and with little respect to environmental issues aside from a few developments.

Actually if I'm not mistaken, Punta Cana is just a brand name.

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
But that is my whole point!
There is no sense of a Punta Cana/ Bavaro town because those developing the area only cared about catering for the Hotels and making profit.

I am not arguing about the origins of Bavaro Punta Cana, just making a point that with the wealth of the region and the growing population there should be effort in developing community and making Bavaro/Punta Cana into real "towns"

Facilities that could improve the community/town: A Market area, Public park with sporting facilities, footpaths everywhere, town hall running community programs, a town square, a public beach with proper access and facilities...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
But that is my whole point!
There is no sense of a Punta Cana/ Bavaro town because those developing the area only cared about catering for the Hotels and making profit.

I am not arguing about the origins of Bavaro Punta Cana, just making a point that with the wealth of the region and the growing population there should be effort in developing community and making Bavaro/Punta Cana into real "towns"

Facilities that could improve the community/town: A Market area, Public park with sporting facilities, footpaths everywhere, town hall running community programs, a town square, a public beach with proper access and facilities...

It's happening, but this sort of stuff will take time. This is not Florida or Australia :)

Have you been to places like Punta Cana Village recently?