New Canadian

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
Hi! I have just found out about this site and think it is fantastic! I am looking into spending a lot of time in the DR north coast in the coming years so will be going through the posts in detail.

I did visit Costambar as a possible... but was a bit underwhelmed... will check out Cofresi and Las Terranas next time I go over. Looking for a community with tolerance towards cultural differences. Would love to get involved in an "artsy" kind of place, and would love to work on a local project that would make a difference to people, possibly in education or art. Any suggestions welcome.

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
Hi again... I should add that I am a woman, single, mid 50s and looking for a safe area to live in 7 months of the year. From reading other posts, I realize that I am a prime target for those "sankies". Is there a vaccination available? LOL

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sosua, Cabarete and Las Terrenas (especially if you speak French) are options you can try out. Stay for a while in each place and then decide.

As for the Sankies, just say NO, unless of course you want to say yes, but remember there is no vaccination on a number of things you could catch.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

You will love Las Terrenas. Let's see, most beautiful beaches in the country, many artists, Haitian, Dominican, European, large European population, beach community without the large all-inclusives, wonderful food and entertainment.....Do you want more? Very laid back but with a definite energy. Come check out Las Terrenas.

LTS

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
Well, Thank you for the suggestions! I will most certainly check it out! I like the idea of laid back, no all-inclusive, good cross-cultural mix and less of the desperate edge that I saw in other parts. Are there websites for long term rentals in those areas or is it better to just get a 1 week rental in some hotel and then drive around to get a better feel?

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Getting a 1 week rental in a hotel is a great idea. There are always plenty of long term rentals available.