Are they fixing the tourist road from POP to Santiago?

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
They are working on it, but mostly on the half going into Santiago. BEWARE as there are several areas that have had landslides and the road is very narrow with no markings where the road drops straight down.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
I was on that road in Dec. 2010; although a bit rough, but we took our time getting to POP. I enjoyed the small towns and the colorful tropical fruit stands along the road, I was able to stop, buy some fruits and enjoyed them along the way. The views were extraordinary, I hope they rebuild it with all those things in mind, ie, the vendors' livelyhoods; the towns,and maybe add a couple of observation stops to enjoy those views.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Great road. Hope it gets fixxed one day. The Moca road could use some work also.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Come on! :) just an observation. I don't live and work in the DR1, I don't know the daily frustrations of having to drive on lousy roads just to get somewhere for whatever reason.

So, as a tourist, it's more of an adventure than an inconvenience, for all I have is time. Hope they fix it very soon.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
A friend who has been driving it for 7 years told me that on a recent journey the Southern half from the highpoint down towards Santiago was the best he has ever seen it. The North side was as bad as ever and I imagine any enthusiasm to fix that too will evaporate after the Election.