Dominican in 3 days! surf?

burntsienna

Mar 14, 2012
Hello/Hola!
I'm headed to the Dominican Republic in a couple days and am getting excited! I've been combing through the forums trying to answer some questions i have had, and its proven to be very resourceful.

If not too rude (being my first post) i have a general question for anyone who may be able to help me.

I will be staying around the Las Gaveras area for only 8 days... I was hoping to get some surf while in the DR but now realizing the better areas for surf are probably further west like Playa Encuentro or Cabrera.

Is it possible to rent a car or hire a taxi/bus to Cabrera from Las Gaveras as a day trip, or is this impractical? I have no idea how much this might cost for a trip there and back... I am aware it would be at least an hour drive...

I am a competent/novice surfer, but by no means expert.

Are there any other breaks between Las Gaveras and Cabrera that might be an closer mission?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!
THANK YOU

dsmad

Dec 30, 2010
Playa Bonita in Las Terrenas is a great place for novice surfers. Much closer than Cabrera and Cabarete

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The best surfing at Encuentro is in the morning before the wind picks up if you should have the desire to come out to Cabarete.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

I assume you mean you are staying in Las Galeras? Get to Las Terrenas. It is about 1hour and half away and Playa Bonita is only about 5 minutes outside of downtown. There is good moderate wave action there.

LTS

burntsienna

Mar 14, 2012
Hi:

I assume you mean you are staying in Las Galeras? Get to Las Terrenas. It is about 1hour and half away and Playa Bonita is only about 5 minutes outside of downtown. There is good moderate wave action there.

LTS

Typo! yes Las Galeras is where I'm staying.

Playa Bonita sounds exactly like what i was hoping for!! i found this old link about surf schools/rentals...
Surf School at Playa Bonita

As for transportation from Las Galeras, to Las Terrenas/Playa Bonita (and back)... what would be the best/most economic way to do so? Rent a car? or bus? by the looks of it i might go to Las Terrenas more than once in my stay in the Dominican, I just hope the commute doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

thank you all for your help!

dsmad

Dec 30, 2010
Once your in Las Galeras you can use the public bus to Samana then get another to take to Las Terrenas.From there you will need to hop on a motoconcho out to the beach. I don't know all the numbers and times but it is very easy and cheap. Hopefully someone can fill in some details.