notice of no marriage or copies of court papers

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
I'll start off by saying yes, I know I'm an idiot. That being said, here is where I could use some help.

I live in Canada. I married my 'husband' 2004. He moved to Canada late 2005, we were separated early 2007-2008 then were back together a short time after our son was born 2008 and have now been separated since early 2009. He moved on, had another kid and is with that woman now (one of the MANY he cheated with). However, in a bid to win me back in late 2010, he decided to come clean with everything. One of those things was that we were not legally married as he was still married to his first wife when we wed (they legally divorced in 2006 from what I understand). I didn't care because we were over but now we are finally filing for the divorce as it's the easiest way to clean up the mess but he is now fighting for custody of our child (I had sole custody before on a separation agreement) and he is also fighting for proceeds of a condo I sold in 2010. He is not entitled to this because we were not married and do not meet commonlaw status where we live but I think he needs money to sponsor the woman and kid he's with now - they are Mexican and living her illegally.

Also in 2010, his wife who lives in Puerto Rico (who thought they were back together) found out about me, our son and the other woman and their son and she got ahold of my 'marriage' certificate and went nuts. She brought him up on some sort of charges in the DR (bigamy?), went to their house and cleaned out everything except one light bulb that she couldn't reach and dragged him to court for the purchase price of the house they bought together. He has been back there fighting those charges on a couple of occasions since 2010.

My question is how can I either obtain their divorce certificate to show we're were not married OR get a paper from the Dominican courts saying he and I were never legally married OR copies of the charges he was/is facing?

I never registered the marriage in Canada and all I have to do is show the judge enough to give him doubt that marriage never exsisted and he should be able to say it is null and void here giving my ex very little legal ground and it will be nearly impossible for him to sponsor anyone in the future.

Thanks for any advice.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Dont feel like an idiot, this guy is a real pro super player with a victims list as long as your arm. If it was me I would get in touch with the ex in Puerto Rico and make friends so that the two of you could gang up on this guy. The PR x seems to be a real fighter and has had the most success. Who knows, the two of you might be able to "wake up" his new victim and ruin that deal for him. I would not expect much from the DR courts on bigamy charges. Getting a DR lawyer to get marriage and divorce records should not cost much. There is a firm here with a good rep that a lot of DR1 people have used. Guzman and Associates. Look em up in the archives. Good luck and again, dont feel bad, you are dealing with a real pro.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Getting a copy is not hard but you need someone on the ground to do it, you also need to know when and where it was done and of course the names. Then going to that Jeus or Ayunamiente to get a certified copy en extensia just takes the time to stand in line.

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
Thank you! He is definitely a pro and when I told him he had no way of winning since we were not married, he just said I have no proof and I should just do what he wants. I want to expose it all and go on with my life. I thought this was all over but he is definitely a controlling one (he hired a new lawyer less than 24 hrs from us signing off on everything).

Sounds like it may not be too hard to obtain. I did PM Fabio but may call his office directly. I know my ex's name, birthday, cedula #, old passport #, address of the house but only her name and approximate date of divorce..everything happened in Puerto Plata..I hope that is enough. I think the ex in PR would be happy to help but not if I called. Someone from there calling would probably have more luck especially if it knew he would be back in court somewhere.

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
Thank you! He is definitely a pro and when I told him he had no way of winning since we were not married, he just said I have no proof and I should just do what he wants. I want to expose it all and go on with my life. I thought this was all over but he is definitely a controlling one (he hired a new lawyer less than 24 hrs from us signing off on everything).

Sounds like it may not be too hard to obtain. I did PM Fabio but may call his office directly. I know my ex's name, birthday, cedula #, old passport #, address of the house but only her name and approximate date of divorce..everything happened in Puerto Plata..I hope that is enough. I think the ex in PR would be happy to help but not if I called. Someone from there calling would probably have more luck especially if it knew he would be back in court somewhere.

When you apply for a visa don't they check to see if either parties were married before? WOW...I wish you the best of luck...and you never know you may want to give the ex from PR a call the worst that can happen is she could tell you no...then you are no better off then you are now...but what if she says yes.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
My 2 cents: you should hold your cards closer to your chest. Why would you tell him your strategy up front? ie. that he will lose because you will now try to prove that you weren't ever married. This just sends him in 'that direction', that direction being - if you have assets worth money, he could start bribing here and making things difficult for you and even produce a marriage certificate, where none existed...

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
I mostly just cautioned him on one occasion that he needs to be sure this is a road he wants to travel down. He does not know I have begun trying to find a way to prove it. Calling his ex is what I want to do but worry she will tip him off (or their daughter if she hears/sees something) and that's when he'll get his little minions down there working on keeping it a secret.

There is a marriage certificate between him and I as we did have a wedding. He got a declaration signed and notarized saying he was single - never married so there was no need to question anything at that time.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Whatever you do, don't involve his ex.
She might be his enemy now, but it doesn't make her your friend.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Bottom line is he committed a fraud in his Canadian visa application. I don't know about Canada, but in the US visa fraud is grounds for revocation (even if citizenship was eventualy granted), deportation. Fraud has no statute of limitations either. I would have Canadian Immigration ship him back to the DR.

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
Yes, that is the same here. Although it is low on their priority list. If/when I obtain the copies I need from the DR, I plan to submit them to immigration also and at least I've done my part and they can do with him what they want. He is also committing fraud here by being on workers compensation and working under the table so it is likely if he tries to threaten me or takes this too far in court, he is in for a big shock when he has to repay them too and gets his income tax reassessed.