HIV/AIDS Study In Sosua

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Not sure if folks are aware of this study, took part, or witnessed it

HIV/AIDS; Studies in the Area of HIV/AIDS Reported from University of Michigan</STRONG>
25 February 2012
Obesity, Fitness & Wellness Week

OBWK
English
(c) Copyright 2012 Obesity, Fitness & Wellness Week via NewsRx.com
2012 FEB 25 - (NewsRx.com) -- Investigators publish new data in the report "A syndemic analysis of alcohol use and sexual risk behavior among tourism employees in Sosua, Dominican Republic. 'The Dominican Republic has high rates of HIV infection and alcohol consumption. Unfortunately, little research has been focused on the broader sources of the synergy between these two health outcomes," scientists in Ann Arbor, Michigan report.

"We draw on syndemic theory to argue that alcohol consumption and sexual risk behavior are best analyzed within the context of culture and economy in Caribbean tourism spaces, which produce a synergy between apparently independent outcomes. We sampled 32 men and women working in the tourism industry at alcohol-serving establishments in Sosua, Dominican Republic. Interviewees described alcohol consumption as an implicit requirement of tourism work, tourism industry business practices that foster alcohol consumption, and an intertwining relationship between alcohol and sexual commerce. The need to establish relationships with tourists, combined with the overconsumption of alcohol, contributed to a perceived loss of sexual control, which participants felt could impede condom use," wrote M.B. Padilla and colleagues, University of Michigan.

The researchers concluded: "Interventions should incorporate knowledge of the social context of tourism areas to mitigate the contextual factors that contribute to HIV infection and alcohol consumption among locals."

Padilla and colleagues published their study in Qualitative Health Research (A syndemic analysis of alcohol use and sexual risk behavior among tourism employees in Sosua, Dominican Republic. Qualitative Health Research, 2012;22(1):89-102).

For additional information, contact M.B. Padilla, Dept. of Health Behavior and Health Education, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, United States.
The publisher's contact information for the journal Qualitative Health Research is: SAGE Publications, USA , 2455 Teller Road, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA.

This article was prepared by Obesity, Fitness & Wellness Week editors from staff and other reports. Copyright 2012, Obesity, Fitness & Wellness Week via NewsRx.com.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
The researchers concluded: "Interventions should incorporate knowledge of the social context of tourism areas to mitigate the contextual factors that contribute to HIV infection and alcohol consumption among locals."

Anybody else LOL at that statement?
Seems like research funding well spent..... :alien:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have a Looooooooooooong history of unprotected sexual intercourse in the DR.
They should have interviewed me!
Alcohol has very little to do with unprotected sex in the DR.
The people who they interviewed were using alcohol use as an "excuse" for having un-protected sex,not true!
I have had sex with hundreds,if not a thousand women in the DR.Most were working prostitutes,some "Part Timers",and a few just women with bad judgement!
Twenty five years ago,"protection" was never even mentioned.Ten years ago,it was "mentioned" and then ignored.In recent
years,almost all "Working Girls" will not have sex with a "John" without a condom.
That said,"Money Talks,and Bull$hit Walks",meaning,for a few pesos more,No Condom! "YipEE"!
And if you are a "Good Customer",or a "Friend with Benefits",you can leave your condoms in the car.
I can talk almost any Dominican girl stupid,or desperate enough to have sex with me,to have un-protected sex with me.
And if you are talking about Dominican men,"Preservativo",NEVER HAPPEN!
End of story!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
And I'm Obese,I guess I missed that issue!

DominiRican

Apr 7, 2004
Criss, you have to be the most confident low self-esteemed person I've ever encountered. You would make a good social experiment.

DominiRican

Apr 7, 2004
A little from column A, and a little from column B. Mostly B, you managed to express great confidence in how many women you can get at the same time insulting yourself... unless your intention was to point out Dominican women have no standards. I have to admit, they do give a lot of attention to foreigners. I told a friend that I was going to wear a wedding ring the next time I visit, but that probably won't work from what I've been reading. I thought I would blend in but they saw I was a tourist before I said a word.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Criss, you are one in a million and we are lucky to have you on the forum. "Hundreds, if not thousands", wow!!!!
I knew that most of the girls tried to use condoms with customers and then went right home and had sex with their Dom boy friend who cheated on them at every opportunity sans condom. Hookers and booze go together like beer and pretzels. Did alcohol affect my judgment? Naw, bad judgment came to me naturally, the alcohol was a plus and sometimes a good excuse.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
As far as domrican I dont see any cc insulting himself at all. What kind of a big $ussy comes down to the DR and is so scared of women that he feels he has to protect himself by wearing a wedding ring (hiding behing the wife). Whats the matter, cant just say no!!!!! What you afraid of ?

DominiRican

Apr 7, 2004
As far as domrican I dont see any cc insulting himself at all. What kind of a big $ussy comes down to the DR and is so scared of women that he feels he has to protect himself by wearing a wedding ring (hiding behing the wife). Whats the matter, cant just say no!!!!! What you afraid of ?

I guess I'm too non-confrontational, and I did say no, but the amount of solicitation was crazy. I didn't want to be bothered by it. I think CC is funny, my post may have come across more seriously than I intended. Maybe I should throw in a smiley :laugh: face here and there to clarify. :nervous: :lick: :)

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Yo ccccc ??????? What you got lots of kids. Ovisley U R not scard of becoming infeacted hope your exam comes back in your favor !!!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I hope no one paid good money to get that report

I could not agree more! This is not a scientific study! It is a joke!!!

They interviewed around 40 people, about alcohol consumption and unsafe sex!!!

Get real folks... a study of 40 people, interviewed in a bar!

"My name is Maria, and yes I do sex without a condom, because I had too much rum, and this fat, old, bald gringo offered me 1,500 rds for me to suck his dick, and one thing led to another... this was the money I needed to get my new phone... so I did it..."

Where is the medical testing in this so-called report?

I do not doubt there is a lot of HIV in Sosua, but this report is a joke...

BelgianK

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I AM a "Social Experiment"!
Is that a "compliment",or an observation????
CC

Sad really cccccccccccccccccccccccc that so many people dont bother to read your posts and advice
over the years

Before you were a Mod and went MIA on this site for a long time,, there were posts from an American that asked the question "I never had sex without a condom", how did I get an infection???

She gave him a "Blow Job" as you Americans refer it too. men think it is safer....DUH

Bodily fluids....infected,,by either a man or a woman..simple as that

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Problem with men,is that when our "dicks" get hard,or at least "Firm",it disengauges our brain,if we do indeed have a brain!
I thank God,that I have reached the ripe-old-age of 65.
I can finally get some rest!
I wouldn't walk across the street to have sex with "Byoncee",I would RUN!
Not really.
My "Golden Days" are now just beautiful memories that no one can take away from me.
Now if I could just remember who that woman is beside me all the time,and who those kids are running around my house all the time,and what year it is,and where I live,Things would be great!
I passed my "AIDS" test!
I got a "69"! :lick::lick::lick::lick:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
She gave him a "Blow Job" as you Americans refer it too. men think it is safer....DUH

Bodily fluids....infected,,by either a man or a woman..simple as that
You women have your own method to avoid disease. Being "frigid" as you women from the Continent refer to it.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I have seen a number of posts here about male tourists being bothered and harassed by girls on the street in Sosua. And that Sosua is not an appropriate destination for a family vacation. I lived more that six years in Sosua and its simply not the case. My first visit was as a tourist. Some girls do smile, make a comment or maybe even whistle but its not rude and its not intrusive. Maybe wisper "massage"? as they pass. I have never been accosted or harassed one bit. It never took more than a smile, shake my head no, say I am not a tourist or the no finger wave. To say its intrusive has not been my experience.
How anyone finds this offensive or makes Sosua an inappropriate family destination is beyond me. Maybe the dirt is in the minds of these people. I kinda like a pretty 20 something calling me handsome, or beautiful. Even if it not really 100% true. One thing is that I am never offended and I am very happily married. Lastly, when I am with my wife I have never had one of the girls say anything to me. Sosua is a great destination for any kind of family vacation unless you are such a prude that
you find any kind of female attention disgusting. If thats you maybe you should just stay away.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"ZOOM" for minister of tourism in the DR!
I love Sosua,Puerto Plata,and even Costambar.
I was there last weekend.
Fantastic!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC