New Member Intro

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
Hi! I am so happy to have found this forum. My friend and I are planning to head back to POP yet again in June, this time to buy a condo.

I am finding the information on this site invaluable... The sanky info made me giggle... I keep wanting to call them skanky LOL

Thanks for having me here!

Ella

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You should be very careful. This is a major step and you need the best of representation.

HB

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
Hi HB,Care to elaborate? We are both legal professionals so the actual legalities of the purchase of property isn't realy an issue. We are primaily concerned about a safe location...and have already ruled out Sosua.Ella

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You MUST be VERY careful when you purchase ANYTHING in the DR,ESPECIALLY Real Estate!
Would it be possible to rent a condo BEFORE you buy???
The country is riddled with bankrupt condo complexes,both under construction,"To Be" constructed,and completed,but abandoned.
How to tell if a real estate sales person is lying???
Their lips are moving!
You absolutely need GREAT,not good,legal guidence.Not a "street lawyer" recommended by the real estate broker.
I can only recommend one,Fabio Guzma,of "Guzman Ariza".
Do yourself a huge favor,Talk",before you "Leap"!
Do you know you can rent beautiful,furnished condo,on,or near the beach,and never put your principal at risk??
Check out that option.
Cris Colon
Cris Colon.

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
Thanks for your comments. While I have been researching property buying laws and procedures, my comment about us being legal professionals was to meant to infer that we KNOW we need the best local legal representation available so thank you for Sr Guzman's name. I will go to the Legal forum next and start reading! Any referrals for a real estate salesperson? We are hoping to buy in the complex where we have been renting... Simply for the flexibility of being able to come down on a whim without having to organize a rental each time. In the right condo complex, I would think our capital would be as safe as in the volatile equities markets LOL

thanks again all!!

Edward Rivas

Mar 16, 2012
www.goldenkeymanagement.com
Is this forum post democratic or what

This is my introductory post to DR1, love the way people exchange information here. Somehow I found this post quite hard to digest, telling visitors that all other lawyers are not to be trusted. Sure, half of them are no good, I agree, but what about the rest?

I know several brilliant lawyers including Ariza, and the list is extensive. But calling others "street lawyers" makes the DR looks like the lost world and I don`t think anyone will buy that.

My top 5 lawyers are:

1-Julio Brea ( does work in the Ariza law firm )
2-Guido P. ( everyone in the DR trust this guy )
3-Jeanette Garcia Blanco
4-Yanilda de la Cruz
5-Eva Lisa Ewest

Never, ever had a problem in my dealings with these 5, the rest I don`t list because I haven`t yet been involved with them. One thing Cris is right about, is that buying a condo under construction is only good from a company that`s highly reputable, that`s a reality and it takes research. And in regards to selecting a realtor, just talk to their last 5 clients and ask for referrals ( I bet no one does that ).

I moved from Santo Domingo to the North coast in 2004, and by then there was a lot of scandals, thank God things are moving forward. The big problem is that most people don`t do background checks on some individuals and agencies, specially on the referral side. I`m very involved in the promotion of the Dominican Republic in general, so understand the feeling of seeing this information posted here the way it is.

Good luck.

Ed

You MUST be VERY careful when you purchase ANYTHING in the DR,ESPECIALLY Real Estate!
Would it be possible to rent a condo BEFORE you buy???
The country is riddled with bankrupt condo complexes,both under construction,"To Be" constructed,and completed,but abandoned.
How to tell if a real estate sales person is lying???
Their lips are moving!
You absolutely need GREAT,not good,legal guidence.Not a "street lawyer" recommended by the real estate broker.
I can only recommend one,Fabio Guzma,of "Guzman Ariza".
Do yourself a huge favor,Talk",before you "Leap"!
Do you know you can rent beautiful,furnished condo,on,or near the beach,and never put your principal at risk??
Check out that option.
Cris Colon
Cris Colon.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm glad to see you promoting the DR in a responsible way.
People will therefor take what you say seriously.
You realize that the DR has a long way to go in many areas.
When people like Pichardo paint a picture of the DR that we can only one day comes to pass,we just laugh at him.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
I spent most of yesterday just reading here and exchanging PMs with folks offering advice, all of which was gratefully received. The lack of escrow control in the DR is a huge contributor to the scandals with new construction IMO and my friend and are NOT looking at new construction. We actually know where we want to be and are renting in that complex this time around to make sure we really like it. Still all of your cautions are being taken quite seriously and we will most definitely do our due diligence before slapping down the dineros!

We are under no illusions about the DR or sankies or scams, crime, personal safety, drugs, the police... But again I am grateful to all of you who pointed out things we may have seen but not quite realized what was really going on.

Again, thanks to all, but most particularly for the warm welcome!

Ella

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
There are many good and outstanding RE deals in the DR! Rental is good; purchase is better!
pi2

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
Hi Greg,

I have already rented a place as I stated above and I don't want to be in Sosua but thanks!

Ella

Antonia Cantillo

May 30, 2012
Hi Ed, i was just wondering what kind of deals you had with these lawyers..We had contacted two of them for a "sucesion" of a parcela and they are charging us around 10 thousand plus dollars.. is this normal prices ??? frankly we find those prices exaggerated. Can you give us any advice on how to deal w the lawyers there? Thanks!

A