update

Status
Not open for further replies.

lea126

Jul 21, 2011
I orignially came on this site 7 months ago to look for advice about moving to the dr, finding a job and obtaining a residency.

I was given some ADVICE by foeum members, which left a bad taste in my mouth. I am now pleased to see that theres not as much negativity on this site as previosuly. But to update you all......

my SANKY and I are still very much together. He pays half the bills like he said he would 7 months ago. He also works in a job he doesnt like much to ensure we have a good life.He gives me all his money to look after and we have decided to stay in the DR and not move to my home country.

The JOB I wouldnt get due to not being a resident, I got the day after I arrived and am now on a better wage than Ih ad in my home country.

My residency is in process with a lawyer recommended by my FRIENDS (apparently it was impossible to have freinds in this country - well thats what I was told)

I just wanted to update for people who get shot down saying it wont work. I have beeni n the country againf or 7 months and I have a brilliant life with an amazing man. So I suppose some of the people in these forums dont give too good advice.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Congratulations, glad to hear things are working out for you.

To misquote Gandhi: "Be the poster you want to see."

Certainly, the site can benefit from your positive input, look forward to more updates.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
congrats and best wishes for continued success. I will say though, knowing what the usual compensation is like in the D.R., you've either been wildly lucky to get a VERY highly paid job, or you were making very little in your home country... or both. Regardless... credit where credit is due. <high five>

Mar 1, 2009
Edited by Robert:

I suggest you delete DR1 form your bookmarks if that is how you feel.

Last edited by a moderator:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
weepaa congrats...been there many years (24) ago...Dios lo Bendiga...

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
... I have a brilliant life with an amazing man.

Not to keep the negativity train rolling, but you are still in the honeymoon phase. As far as "brilliant" and "amazing", truth is in the eye of the beholder. (Got any pics? ... just kidding, DON'T). Please do take care of yourself first and foremost.

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
Congrats, I too was burned down for my 'Sankie'. More than 7 years have passed and we're still really happy together, we live in my hometown now and he has a European passport. We also lived together in the USA for some time, coz he got a job there.
Still I'm happy I listened to what everyone said back then, so I wasnt naive and knew what to look for. After a year or so I pretty much knew/felt like my relationship was 'safe'. Although it seems like you can never be really 100% sure until he has his passport.

Im happy for you that everything is going well, but please realize that 7 months is a really short time. If everythings stays like this, you have nothing to worry about, but he wouldnt be the first one that changes after a year or so because he believes the girls trusts him now...

What kinda work are you doing by the way? Any chance u can get me the same job? We will move back right away :p

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
let me crank up the negativity train, your "sanky" is stable and now has a passport. i think he's done very well for himself. ask him what his future plans are ? :ermm:

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Congrats Lea126

The problem is that when you perceive advice as being upsetting its because you are naturally taking it as a personal comment aimed at you and your partner in particular. Most of the advice given here is meant as a warning of what might and in many cases does happen. Its only from accumulated experience and is given in the hope that the bad things don't happen to you. The regulars here will I'm in no doubt be delighted that things are working out for you. Not everyone is so lucky. I have been married to a Domincan for 17 years so I know that not all relationships are doomed. But its best to point out the pitfalls to the unsuspecting because there have been many heartbreaking stories told over the years. Best of luck and may you both continue to be happy.

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
let me crank up the negativity train, your "sanky" is stable and now has a passport. i think he's done very well for himself. ask him what his future plans are ? :ermm:

Yes he has :D And so did I, travelling the world while my boyfriend/husband maintained me, now we have a stable home. This summer we are planning to go abroad for a couple of months and then when we move back, start a family. We are ready for that now.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hang in there Princessa, glad to see you didn't let the naysayers get to you, and that you went into your relationship with eyes wide open. I think that's what most of the DR1ers want, they just get a little over-zealous sometimes. :)

I'm happy for you, and glad that you came back to update us. I sometimes think the 'happy ever after' stories don't get told here, only the 'woe-is-me, he's-a-sanky' tales get told.

real relationships.jpg

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You took some advice too personally. Relax, they do not mean to hurt you. Some here have been burned badly and its painful for them to see it happen to others. Hope your good fortune continues forever.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
The OP comes on here to do a 'told you so' post... obviously she left her grammar at home and took her cockiness with her to the DR...

Guarantee there won't be a 'told you so' post when sh!t hits the fan !

I am married to a Dominican for over 5 years now... SURPRISE for people who didn't know that on the forum... I was never stupid enough to come on a public forum (especially the Sankie forum) to spill the beans on my relationship. You wanted advice before, you got it, didn't listen to it - therefore wasted peoples time (including mine right now) by replying to your questions and worthless 'update'.

I too would like to know what this job is that's paying so much more... I can't imagine fast food paying more there than here.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Congradulations, I think..Seven months is not that long of time to start throwing around the I told ya so's..Maybe you really have a good one, or maybe he is just waiting for his baby's mamma to join him:ermm:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Congradulations, I think..Seven months is not that long of time to start throwing around the I told ya so's..Maybe you really have a good one, or maybe he is just waiting for his baby's mamma to join him:ermm:

They live in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.