Recognition Of Good Work By Christian Groups From Canada

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

The number of Canadians that are Jehovah Witness, Baptist, or a member of Pentecostal and regular visits Montellano and Sos?a, increased considerably in recent years. Last weekend, a group of 60 young Canadians attended a church service in 'La Iglesia Templo B?blico' of Montellano. Many of these Christian groups stay in hotel 'Sos?a by the Sea' and hotel 'Piergiorgio' and are committed for the benefit of the population. They build houses, schools, churches, sports fields only for the benefit of the poor population. They provide free dental and medical care and also free medicines. The housing projects of the Canadian foundation the 'Good Samaritan' are a good example. But also the project of the foundation 'Dominican Connection International' directed by Walter Warkentin, that recently built a house for a poor couple has to be brought under the attention.

You will not encounter these tourists in the evening in the disco bars. So the restaurant and bar owners are not so happy with them. But the poor in the villages around Sos?a are very positive about the selfless efforts of these tourists.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Hmm...i don't where to start here. First of all, this is undoubtedly true. There are a lot of religious groups that come down here to help the poor, and they do good work, honest work, hard work. That's a statement of fact. they build houses, schools, and churches. A lot of churches. they bring clothes, medicine, and supplies. a lot of supplies. I meet people every week, sometimes every day, from all over the world, that come down here to help the poor. this is a fact. I don't want to take anything away from these people. They do good work. and they deserve credit for devoting their time and money to helping out Dominicans.

In the last 6 years on the north coast, (4 years at the restaurant on the beach where i work), I've met a lot of missionaries, maybe hundreds, maybe thousands, hell, it's impossible to really know becuase i meet them every week, all year long. Sometimes they're in small groups, other times they come in very large groups. there's one group in particular--about 20 to 30--from of the same church in Tennessee--extremely nice people--mostly successfull business men and women and some business owners from the Tennessee city that they're from. they're a really cool group of people that work all day long in the campos, and then come into the restaurant and bar to relax at night and drink beer, laugh and joke, and watch sports. i like this group, a lot...they're a down to earth, they never talk religion, they never preach...they drink, they smoke, they argue. Many are married, some are divorced, some of them are single...these people are "Everyman"; they're everyday people, good people, nice people, unselfish people.

My problem is with the other 10% i meet...i'm talking about the pastor who sits at the bar and tries to tell people that you're going to hell if you don't except Jesus Christ into your life; i'm talking about the ones that try and tell you that you're going to hell if you have an abortion; i'm talking about the ones that try and tell you that Noah had two of every animal on his boat--including marsupials that have never been outside of Austrailia--and that Noah's boat was perfect in every way, and that all the animals on his boat got aloing with each other--the Herbivores vs Carnivores. I have problems, in particular, with the religious people who come down here to "save people" and "spread the word" and "pass judgment" on people like you and I. I find it both interesting and fascinating that, after i've gotten to know some of these people, come to find out that many are not what they seem, nor what they preach. In particular, a pastor down here on the north coast.

I particularly have problems with the ones that sit at the bar and tell people that they are against abortion--all abortion--including cases of incest and rape on this island. I also have problems with the ones that think homosexuality can be "cured." I could go on, but i don't want to divert off topic here.

Yes, there are a lot of religious groups, missionaries, and individuals that are down here doing good work, sincere work, hard work, unselfish work--to better the lives of Dominicans. these people deserve credit, they deserve recognition, and they deserve a big thank you. They get mine everytime i meet them. I just wish they could leave the part of their group think at home---the part that wants to pass judgement on you for being gay, divorced, having an abortion, drinking, etc.

LOve Frank

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
You're on the mark, Frank. Bring the good community efforts, the education, the cultural exchange. Leave the religion behind.

I'd be ashamed to do as many do and force one's religion on the 'uncivilized natives' in exchange for assistance in the community. There's enough opportunity for religious indoctrination on the island for anyone interested. Not sure that really needs to be imported.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
As usual, the bad minority screw up the good reputation of the majority and are pointed out by the group detractors as the "norm."

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Frank,
You thinking what I'm thinking? Check to see if the web domain is available and get back to me.

Agnostic Gender-neutral Travel Initiative for Global Outreach in Developing-countries (we can abbreviate it ANTI-GOD for the t-shirts when we travel in groups or hang out at Jose O'Shays).

Fund raising - maybe for as low as $25 a month people could sponsor a poor person in DR and we could email them a foto each month from the colmado showing their poor person enjoying the beer and cigar their money bought? Stuff like that.

Further brain storming... guys can sponsor a young lady for $50/month and get a photo of her monthly at the beauty parlor in curlors. We gotta show proof the money is going to good use

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thanks Ken for pointing out the great and positive work these missionaries.

The fact is these groups do far more than anyone here on DR1 so it's honestly hypocritical to say the least the constant criticism these groups are subject to because of an occasional bad apple or for being "annoying".

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If they're doing useful work that doesn't perpetuate dependence, and will work with all needy people regardless of faith or lack thereof, and don't try to convert anyone, they get my recognition.

But also note that development organisations without a religious affiliation, of which there are also many, don't feel the need to bill themselves as such.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If they're doing useful work that doesn't perpetuate dependence, and will work with all needy people regardless of faith or lack thereof, and don't try to convert anyone, they get my recognition.

But also note that development organisations without a religious affiliation, of which there are also many, don't feel the need to bill themselves as such.

You want your cake and to eat it too???

The latter would be mostly NGO's who according to anybody creating a dependency, and thus job security, is their specialty.

I would go one step further and say that the people receiving the benefits of these groups could care less about the motivations; after all generally one who is hungry, hurting or worried for a love one doesn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You want your cake and to eat it too???

The latter would be mostly NGO's who according to anybody creating a dependency, and thus job security, is their specialty.

I would go one step further and say that the people receiving the benefits of these groups could care less about the motivations; after all generally one who is hungry, hurting or worried for a love one doesn't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Why is it having my cake and eating it? It's a question of good practice and ethics.

I'll be equally critical of a non-religious NGO with a paternalistic MO - they also exist, unfortunately. The ones I support are the ones whose raison d'etre is to provide people with skills and knowledge to overcome poverty and injustice. Simple dishing out of handouts should be mainly restricted to emergency situations.

FTR I did once - briefly - work for an organisation with a religious affiliation - they did excellent work and fulfilled the criteria I mentioned earlier: non-paternalistic, non-missionary, did not target beneficiaries (or employees/volunteers!) on basis of faith.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Why is it having my cake and eating it? It's a question of good practice and ethics.

I'll be equally critical of a non-religious NGO with a paternalistic MO - they also exist, unfortunately. The ones I support are the ones whose raison d'etre is to provide people with skills and knowledge to overcome poverty and injustice. Simple dishing out of handouts should be mainly restricted to emergency situations.

FTR I did once - briefly - work for an organisation with a religious affiliation - they did excellent work and fulfilled the criteria I mentioned earlier: non-paternalistic, non-missionary, did not target beneficiaries (or employees/volunteers!) on basis of faith.

No offense but you sound so elitist.

You establish a criteria by which the "poor masses" are to be helped in order to ease their plight and any that fall short are criticized.

It just sounds more of the same swill served by the elitists where they propose to know what's better than the ignorant low classes do for themselves when the fact is they are more lost in the first place.

It's thinking like this that has enabled madman over the centuries to justify all types of atrocities in order for the "betterment" of the "common man". Quite manipulative to say the least. Elitists certainly have no room to be criticizing missionaries that's for sure.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004

That's where I have my problem, Chip. They need the assistance. Help, but no need to preach/thrust your motivations upon those in need. Some feel comforted by hearing god's word. I'd say it's safe to say others endure it due to their dire circumstances.

That said, there truly are those in the world that need assistance. ANYONE helping is to be commended for their efforts.

[video=youtube;H33922CVXTY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H33922CVXTY[/video]

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
The positive things being done to help the less fortunate are wonderful. Do it in the name of mankind and from the heart and not for underlying religious reasons. Unfortunately organized religion is full of irony, falsehoods and mis-deeds. All religion evolved from the same sources and anyone who professes to call his or her religion the only true way in quite frankly ill guided and full of ----.

LTS

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No offense but you sound so elitist.

You establish a criteria by which the "poor masses" are to be helped in order to ease their plight and any that fall short are criticized.

It just sounds more of the same swill served by the elitists where they propose to know what's better than the ignorant low classes do for themselves when the fact is they are more lost in the first place.

It's thinking like this that has enabled madman over the centuries to justify all types of atrocities in order for the "betterment" of the "common man". Quite manipulative to say the least. Elitists certainly have no room to be criticizing missionaries that's for sure.
No - on the contrary. The good practice I refer to is based on detailed assessments and consultation with the beneficiaries on their priorities and needs. Many of these religious groups have decided what the poor folks need even before they've set foot in the community or the country.

Your final statement, along with the accusation of elitism, is based on mistaken assumptions.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Why, why, why give so much attention to this 10% ?? What a waste of posts. Talk about the people that gave their time to build the churches and schools and bring medical supplies and more than likely paid out of their own pocket to get down there.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Many of these religious groups have decided what the poor folks need even before they've set foot in the community or the country.

Chiri, you know I have great respect for you but do you really think that outsiders just fly in and start building or make decisions as to what poor people need without local contacts telling them what is needed and a plan has been put in place first?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Why, why, why give so much attention to this 10% ?? What a waste of posts. Talk about the people that gave their time to build the churches and schools and bring medical supplies and more than likely paid out of their own pocket to get down there.

Many people are more interested in their agenda than the obvious.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
AnnaC said:
Chiri, you know I have great respect for you but do you really think that outsiders just fly in and start building or make decisions as to what poor people need without local contacts telling them what is needed and a plan has been put in place first?
Yes, I've seen first-hand examples of this happening - but just in case there is any doubt, I was not referring in any way to the ones in the OP.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
A favorite saying of my Dad's was to "do something even if it's wrong". At least these people are trying which is by far more than the blowhards on this forum(not you Chiri) are doing.

Aug 19, 2004
A favorite saying of my Dad's was to "do something even if it's wrong". At least these people are trying which is by far more than the blowhards on this forum(not you Chiri) are doing.

Another saying is "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

I have also worked with similar organisations to that mentioned by Chiri. There are plenty of good NGOs in the Dominican Republic for Dominicans helping Dominican and they needn't be elitist.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I won't make any more negative assumptions about their ways of working either. :)