Coconut buyers?

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I know there are guys that you can contract with who will come around on a regular basis to harvest your coconuts and pay a few pesos per coco. I've got about 100 coconut trees and I'd like to find one of these guys.
Anybody selling their cocos? How much are you getting? If you have a buyer that is working out for you, I'd appreciate a lead. Thanks

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I know a couple of kids, well they probably are 20 years old, that do it here locally, but where are you?
I'll ask Ariel next time I see him.
Der Fish
Thanks fish, I'm on el Choco road just past Hacienda's el Choco. Approx 6 kilometers from Sosua.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
If I buy a couple of wheel barrows could I put some unemployed people to work selling these on the streets in Sosua or is there already a Monopoly ?

Maybe Ice them down and poke a hole and fill it with rum with a flower and straw....

Send me a PM and I will put the shoe shine boys back to work !

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I don't remember seeing people selling coconuts on street in Cabarete or Sosua. But maybe I just missed that? Used to get from a street vendor in Cabrera regularly. Forget what he charged but was cheap and good.

If no one doing now its a good opportunity.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I just sold my breadfruit that way....

Before they started falling and making a mess on the ground, I found the boys who harvest them for 5pesos a fruit.

They took 100 and are coming back for the rest when they're more ripe.

Just watch the road for that truck full of coconuts and stop them.... they'll come and harvest for you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i doubt the street sellers would harvest 100 trees. i have only 2 coconut trees and once a cocero (spelling?) took 65 cocos, from just those two trees.

william, 5 pesos per fruit? they paid you or you paid them?

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
If I buy a couple of wheel barrows could I put some unemployed people to work selling these on the streets in Sosua or is there already a Monopoly ?

Maybe Ice them down and poke a hole and fill it with rum with a flower and straw....

Send me a PM and I will put the shoe shine boys back to work !
The guy with the cart next to Central Park in Puerto Plata starts everyday with a full cart ( approx 100-150 cocos). Everyday he sells out by 5PM, earlier on church days. No rum or flowers. Just a machete to cut off the top, adds ice and a straw. Hell, if he nets only 10 pesos a coco, he's making a good living.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
The guy with the cart next to Central Park in Puerto Plata starts everyday with a full cart ( approx 100-150 cocos). Everyday he sells out by 5PM, earlier on church days. No rum or flowers. Just a machete to cut off the top, adds ice and a straw. Hell, if he nets only 10 pesos a coco, he's making a good living.

Do you know what he charges per coco??

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Noting that cocos are in season, and presumably cheap, I asked my girlfriend to start buying them. She reluctantly bought one, ruined a pair or scissors boring a hole in it, poured out a thimbleful of water and threw the rest away.

Cocos are a relatively expensive item in England but there we buy them to eat the flesh. I don't even remember drinking the water. Maybe it has all dried up by the time they reach the UK?

I see people buying them at roadside and drinking the water. I haven't noticed anyone taking the rest away to eat at home. Before I try again here, including investing in a machete, is the flesh edible in the ones they sell on the street or are they a different variety from what I was used to?

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Noting that cocos are in season, and presumably cheap, I asked my girlfriend to start buying them. She reluctantly bought one, ruined a pair or scissors boring a hole in it, poured out a thimbleful of water and threw the rest away.

Cocos are a relatively expensive item in England but there we buy them to eat the flesh. I don't even remember drinking the water. Maybe it has all dried up by the time they reach the UK?

I see people buying them at roadside and drinking the water. I haven't noticed anyone taking the rest away to eat at home. Before I try again here, including investing in a machete, is the flesh edible in the ones they sell on the street or are they a different variety from what I was used to?

What the locals do is drink the water and then the gut with the machete removes the remailing husk and cracks the shell into 3 or 4 pieces. They use a piece of the discarded shell to scrape the meat loose.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
i doubt the street sellers would harvest 100 trees. i have only 2 coconut trees and once a cocero (spelling?) took 65 cocos, from just those two trees.

william, 5 pesos per fruit? they paid you or you paid them?

Breadfruit - I hate them, they're messy.

They paid me (the gringo) 500 pesos --- mind you, I had the jardinero do all the talking.
I was conspicuously absent from the negotiations - works better that way.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
makes sense. thay should be paying you. cocero pays for the cocos too. but i just wave my hand and tell him to clean the trees real well, open some cocos for me, cut few more nicely for my in-laws and off he goes.
prior to my arrival to DR i only have read about breadfruit in books. i really thought i'd taste like bread... damn!
but i like it anyway! :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I just had the trees cleaned.... good idea once a year or so.

We take the palms for granted sometimes but they're like any other tree or plant on the property - they need care, or at least do better/look better with care.

It cost me 800 pesos for the day to have the man climb up and trim all the trees.... not bad, I thought.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
william, there is a trick to it. i never pay to have my trees trimmed and checked, cocero does it for free. on the other hand he does not have to pay me for cocos so we are even. do the same: those guys who take breadfruit? they can trim all your trees. just agree there will be no money changing hands :) they are still walking out of it better off.

May 29, 2006

The coconuts start off with a fairly soft shell with no meat and full of milk, As it ages, the milk precipitates out as the meat and the milk becomes less tasty. I think most vendors sell the younger coconut. An old coconut would be hard to open with a machete. As for buying them for the meat, I like the bagged stuff just fine and I don't need power tools.

Coconut water is excellent as a drink and has even been used as emergency blood plasma. I normally mix mine with pineapple juice and have it ice cold. It taste surprisingly fresh canned.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
william, there is a trick to it. i never pay to have my trees trimmed and checked, cocero does it for free. on the other hand he does not have to pay me for cocos so we are even. do the same: those guys who take breadfruit? they can trim all your trees. just agree there will be no money changing hands :) they are still walking out of it better off.

Gracias, I'll give that a try next time.
We did a lot of work this year. Trimmed a huge Mango that overhung the roof.
It was dropping fruit and cracking tiles... plus I worried about a hurricane and a branch falling into the bed .

Next year I'll barter your way....