Atm transactions

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Is it true that every time you make a transaction at the atm machine it costs $5.00??

Depends on your bank and your card. My HSBC and one other does this. If you plan stay/live get a DR bank account and use your card at their respective branches and avoid charges.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I was forced to make an ATM transaction (in order to activate a new debit card) lately and I was pleasantly surprised that it was not as expensive as I had feared (I usually cash checks at a cambio - this was the first time in almost eleven years that I used an ATM here). I used the Ban Reservas ATM at the POP airport and was charged $2.00 by my foreign bank, a 13 cent international fee and nothing by Ban Reservas.

Of course, all I withdrew was 500 pesos in order to active the card via a PIN transaction.

Aug 21, 2007
I have an account with a US bank. I regularly use an ATM here in the DR to withdraw money. My bank reimburses all international ATM withdrawals. I am required to maintain a certain balance in the account, but for me the savings incurred from withdrawal charges makes keeping the minimum balance well worth it. By the way, my US bank is PNC.

Lindsey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was forced to make an ATM transaction (in order to activate a new debit card) lately and I was pleasantly surprised that it was not as expensive as I had feared (I usually cash checks at a cambio - this was the first time in almost eleven years that I used an ATM here). I used the Ban Reservas ATM at the POP airport and was charged $2.00 by my foreign bank, a 13 cent international fee and nothing by Ban Reservas.

Of course, all I withdrew was 500 pesos in order to active the card via a PIN transaction.

Very odd that you didn't see a separate charge of about 112 pesos by BanReservas for the transaction. They started charging for non BanReservas ATM cards about a year ago and were one of the last banks that did not charge.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
No ATM fees if you use Scotia Bank ATM in the DR to withdraw from a Bank of America account. There may be a BOA charge for currency conversion. I have 2 BOA accounts, and only one gets the conversion charge.