I have searched all the GPS threads.... (Plus a semi comprehensive liste of GPS maps)

Jose Papito

Oct 30, 2011
... I tried to, anyway... ;) (no, I actually did)

Well, is there anyone here with a more recent GPS map for Garmin and kind enough to post it?

I've tried various maps including OSM maps, Ola maps from 2 years ago but they all left a lot to be desired, be it in terms of quality or outdated POIs. I also checked out some pay4play sites but they're cost prohibitive - so I'm looking for something more recent and gratis, naturally.

The following are site I came across with what seem to be actively updated maps (thus desired but too darn expensive).
GPS map Dominican Republic, GPS Garmin map Republica Dominicana
Dominican Republic GPS Map - GPSTravelMaps.com
THE GARMIN GPS N?VI.

Here's where I got the fee maps:
FORO DE LA HISPANIOLA - MAPAS PARA GPS • P?gina principal (you'll have to register in order to download)
Free worldwide routable Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap (based on OSM)

If you have a purchased or locked map I'd be willing to work on it to unlock it and make it available for everyone.

As always, all advice and help is appreciated. You may also PM me.

JP

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Where are you located?

If in the Santiago area you can copy the map I use to a 2gb chip and insert it into the Garmin Nuvi.
Mine was downloaded in November, 2011.

I use the GPS in the car in Santiago and I have used it handheld in Santo Domingo and Sosua and it is pretty decent. There are many streets that are not named in barrios, but the streets are there, just no name. Probably because so many streets in the same city all have the same name for one thing, such as 1st, 2nd, etc.

One problem I have found is that it does not recognize one way streets, but that may be normal as Dominican drivers don't recognize one way streets either. ;) lol

I got my map from the link I gave you on your other thread.

You are not going to find the same quality you get on purchased maps from Garmin.

I am happy with the map as used in Santiago.
I Have not been in any area that the map has not shown any streets and I travel all over Santiago.

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/garmin-maps/12020-la-hispaniola-v3-20-dominican-republic-haiti.html

D in Santiago

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I see that the map is no longer available from the links on the site I posted.

I'm pretty sure this is due to the clamp down on Megaupload and thus the closing of many other download sites.

If you need a copy PM me.

You might find another site that has it available.
The map is: La Hispaniola v3.20 - Dominican republic + Haiti

D in Santiago

Jose Papito

Oct 30, 2011
Where are you located?

You are not going to find the same quality you get on purchased maps from Garmin.

I Have not been in any area that the map has not shown any streets and I travel all over Santiago.

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/garmin-maps/12020-la-hispaniola-v3-20-dominican-republic-haiti.html

D in Santiago

Yes, I know I won't get the same quality as a purchased map, hence the reason I'm searching for one ;)

Some members posted links to purchased maps in other threads but they're all down so that's basically what I'm looking for and that would benefit all of us.

I followed your link and should've given you credit for pointing me there. The link posted on that forum happens to be down so I posted above a link directly to the source of the map mentioned there; (FORO DE LA HISPANIOLA - MAPAS PARA GPS • Identificarse), thanks again D.

jp

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
And by chip,you mean SD card or flashdrive????

QUOTE=SantiagoDR;1071456]Where are you located?

If in the Santiago area you can copy the map I use to a 2gb chip and insert it into the Garmin Nuvi.
Mine was downloaded in November, 2011.

I use the GPS in the car in Santiago and I have used it handheld in Santo Domingo and Sosua and it is pretty decent. There are many streets that are not named in barrios, but the streets are there, just no name. Probably because so many streets in the same city all have the same name for one thing, such as 1st, 2nd, etc.

One problem I have found is that it does not recognize one way streets, but that may be normal as Dominican drivers don't recognize one way streets either. ;) lol

La Hispaniola v3.20 - Dominican republic + Haiti

D in Santiago[/QUOTE]

Oct 2, 2011
Peravia, Bani
Good morning!!! have anyone try GPS Ola, la cual ha tra?do la nueva aplicaci?n NDrive/ NAVV, para Smart Phones y Tablets.Una comunicaci?n i downloaded this in my smart phone but have not been able to testet because I'm here in Boston
It realy looks very neat.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
The best thing to do,prior to arriving to DR is to get a cheap Garmin gps,go to http://www.gpstravelmaps.com/index.php DOWNLOAD THE DR MAP for 49.99.After that go to google maps,search for all the locations you planning on going,get the coordinates and save them on your Garmin,and you get door to door gps in DR!!!

Last edited:

pdmlynek

Sep 27, 2012
The best thing to do,prior to arriving to DR is to get a cheap Garmin gps,go to GPSTravelMaps.com | Home DOWNLOAD THE DR MAP for 49.99.After that go to google maps,search for all the locations you planning on going,get the coordinates and save them on your Garmin,and you get door to door gps in DR!!!

Couldn't you just get it the coordinates from Google Earth?

La-Hispaniola

Dec 13, 2012
www.la-hispaniola.com
hi, just to clarify, the web and forum of la-hispaniola is working fine, just need to start from the main page, no need to use megaupload when is free to download from the original site and the latest version.

if you have any problem send me a message, looks like they don't like me putting links here...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The best thing to do,prior to arriving to DR is to get a cheap Garmin gps,go to GPS Map Downloads for Garmin - GPSTravelMaps.com DOWNLOAD THE DR MAP for 49.99.After that go to google maps,search for all the locations you planning on going,get the coordinates and save them on your Garmin,and you get door to door gps in DR!!!

Yup, the $49.99 map... I put it in my NUVI and it's great......
Just started using it this month.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
OK, I went to SD this week and relied on my gadget to guide --- PERFECTO !!!

It has the new Samana hwy on it so its pretty current....

Very easy .... see all the streets - I found the back street way to Sto Domingo Motors in rush hour
Like shooting fish in a barrel