Presidente Beer in the US?

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
I have looked around the world it seems, on the internet, at local beer and wine stores and a host of other sites. So I decided to come here and try. :( Does anyone know if it is possible to get access or buy or any options of obtaining El Presidente in the United States, and in particular in Mississippi? I live here now and 9 out of 1people even distributors have never heard of it. Frustration!!!! Thanks for any help. Gracias y Hasta Pronto!

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I've seen Presidente for sale in Manhattan, and from what I heard it's quite common in Florida.

jabuti

Mar 13, 2011
I have looked around the world it seems, on the internet, at local beer and wine stores and a host of other sites. So I decided to come here and try. :( Does anyone know if it is possible to get access or buy or any options of obtaining El Presidente in the United States, and in particular in Mississippi? I live here now and 9 out of 1people even distributors have never heard of it. Frustration!!!! Thanks for any help. Gracias y Hasta Pronto!

I have never seen it in a package store, but rather in those "specialty beer and wine" upscale places. Even in Charlotte!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Presidente in an upscale place.... now I have heard it all....

Whilst it is not a bad pilsener, it is nothing special....

BelgianK

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Presidente in an upscale place.... now I have heard it all....

Whilst it is not a bad pilsener, it is nothing special....

BelgianK

It's an import so you're not going to find it in the Bud Light section. I know if you're Belgian then you're probably a bit of a beer snob (rightly so as Belgium has some of the best in the world), but Presidente is somewhat similar to Pilsner Urquell and derivatives which in some circles is considered to be one of the best beers in the world. Of course if you grow up drinking ales and Saison beers you may not care that much for the Pilseners.

To the OP: Just save your cravings for when you go back to The DR...trust me when I tell you Presidente won't taste the same here in The US.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
trust me when I tell you Presidente won't taste the same here in The US.

Yes, I am somewhat of a beer snob, being Belgian and spoiled on beer... Presidente is actually owned by a Belgian beer company, if my info is correct...

And yes, thanks to certain FDA-laws no imported beer in the US will taste like the real stuff...

BelgianK

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
In Florida its all over the place. In north Florida they have done a marketing blitz in the past few years, sponsoring events etc. Curiously they dont advertise as a dominican beer in FL, rather as a caribbean beer. The taste isnt the same, but its still good. Kind of inconsistent. Like one batch will be good, have a nice head and be fresh tasting, the next batch will be kind of skunky, like it was sitting under some counter at a colmado for a few months.

I kind of find that same thing in the DR, that presidente is inconsistent. Its my favorite beer in the world still though, outside of being in Europe.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Here in Tampa Bay both Winn Dixie and Publix supermarkets sell Presidente. Don't bother though, as mentioned above the US requires additives in imported beer which really makes them taste bad compared to what you get in the country of origin.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Yes, I am somewhat of a beer snob, being Belgian and spoiled on beer... Presidente is actually owned by a Belgian beer company, if my info is correct...

And yes, thanks to certain FDA-laws no imported beer in the US will taste like the real stuff...

BelgianK

Still a Dominican company. Timely though, Dominican Today (online) states that the world's two largest brewing companies are seeking to buy it--so, maybe soon it could be a Belgian co.

Apr 10, 2006
You can get it on the East coast. You can get it in the mail shipped to you... if you really want it bad.. my brother has sent it 3 times to my husband via FEDEX/UPS. If you want a store to keep it in stock in your city, Miller imports it to the US... so, they would need to talk to their Miller rep. or buyer.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
Does Presidente contain hops? Are the hops grown in the Dominican Republic? My understanding was that hops do not do well in tropical climates? Can some beer expert help me with this?

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
All beer has hops, that is what differientiates it from other brewed beverages like barleywine. I would imagine that the hops is imported.

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Strangely - Brugal is now in the UK - and I have sampled a few bottles. Just coming back from the North Coast a week or so ago and downed a bottle of Brugal to drown the holiday sorrows - and i must admit - it tastes different as well.

Have no idea why - but have now vowed to keep my "Dominican pleasures" a Dominican Pleasure.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
You won't have problem finding both Presidente and Brugal in NY/NJ area but I remember not likeing the flavors on both. The taste is definitely different, but you'll be able to enjoy caribbean drinks, foods and night club in Hudson County in NJ during summer time.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Presidente and Presidente Light are available all over NJ, in small and large liquor stores. Even the little place on our corner sells it, and we definitely do not live in a Latin neighborhood.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
"El presidente" Leonel is in Mississippi??? :)

Seriously cerveza "la presidente" seems to only be found in the areas of of high concentrations of hispanics. I never found it in N or S Carolina either.

BTW, I see no difference from the American or Dominican version.

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
thanks to all

Really, I appreciate everyone's advice here n not to sound negative or anything bad about any one's beer. We have lots of Hispanics(mostly Mexican) n I can find a.y Mexican beer I want almost everywhere here. Also, we have almost no Japanese, n few Asians n we actually ha e all Japanese beers. Its sad that a beer halfway around the world is available, but one less than 5 hours away is not offered? What is up with that? Guess its just another one of hardships of being's about the only Dominicano in Mississippi? Ha how bout a a friend from NY/ NJ mail a brother a case? Ha ha ha look out family. Well till thne
xt time I reach the shores, bardpronto! ha. Thanks again all now

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Strangely - Brugal is now in the UK - and I have sampled a few bottles. Just coming back from the North Coast a week or so ago and downed a bottle of Brugal to drown the holiday sorrows - and i must admit - it tastes different as well.
Have no idea why - but have now vowed to keep my "Dominican pleasures" a Dominican Pleasure.

so is polish vodka back home and polish vodka sold for export. i think it may be something with laws regarding sales of alcohol and ISO standards.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

BelgianK

I heard the reason of the different taste actually is that they don't cool the beer cold enough here in the States as they do in the DR.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The only difference is the bottle and the label. Local uses re-washed bottles, export new bottles.

It's a phycological and temperature thing. I even remember years ago Presidente shipping people and beer to New York for taste testing. They drunk Presidente here, then again in NY, most said it tasted different. What they didn't know was that it was the same beer/batch they had been drinking in the DR, shipped with them to NY.

Others say it's the alcohol content difference. USA beers have their alcohol content by weight, while many other countries (across Europe and in Canada) measure by volume. The alcohol by weight figure will always appear lower than the alcohol by volume figure.