Question about a barrio

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
Do you have anything more specific?

just ok here is the story. I never been there. my friend has a cousin there that is now my girlfriend over the phone and computer. he hooked us up. I know santo domingo very well but never been to her barrio. i wanted to know if it is safe or if i should avoid it.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
you'd have to find out what her street name is or where the actual intersection of her street is to know really what it is like where she is. When we lived on Lincoln we had a lovely home and really secure, zero crime on our block. Directly on the other side of the road was horrid, full of scum bags spoiling the poor people living theres space. That is in the same 100mtr area and the Cap is the same all over, one street in a nice area can be the wrong street to move to but surrounded by otherwise law abiding nice people. Why don't you ask her, if she is your woman she will not let anything happen to you, unless you aren't sure about her and who she 'really' is. Why not make the first step a neutral area, go to an Aparthotel for a few days, somewhere you are on neutral ground and you know people and the area well.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You could locate it with google maps, then again if you are with someone's family you should be ok. I base this on my personal experience.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
When a "Gringo" has a Dominican girlfriend in any barrio in DR the people of the barrio "know what time it is"!!! You are going to buy her things and give her money right? Nobody in the barrio is going to mess that up for her, so everyone will make sure you are SAFE and HAPPY.

You good don't worry. BTW I am not trying to make fun of you about the money or insinuate that your girl is out to get paid. I myself believe that an adult has the right to spend their money how they please, but in many barrios where poverty is KING the people associate outsiders with money.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Not often I see things in the same colour as above poster, but on this occasion I think he's pretty much said it how it is and will be for you, unless you're very unlucky and meet a mad man/woman.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
I wanted to know if it is safe or if i should avoid it.

If you mean "is it safe to visit her?", if you know her, if you drive with her, there is no reason to have problems. But i wouldn't drive by night on a regular basis in Los Alcarizzos, Pantoja o la Cienega. Now, as you probably already know, there is not much to look after for a gringo past the 9th of the Duarte (apart from your girlfriend, of course).

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
i am going to rent an apartahotel and go back and forth to feel out her neighborhood. i am not sure what the name of it is and if it is anymore dangerous than gascue or los prados where i spent a lot of time. She insists that it is very safe and quiet and she never saw any issues in the neighborhood.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
The 14 is just past Los Alcarrizos, Across the street from Ole(maybe is a sirena now?). And that's all I've ever heard that place called just "la 14". And even though there are some new 5 story apartment buildings there, you cannot compare the place to Los prados or gazcue....It is near nothing other than a Ole supermarket, and there is nothing to do except maybe drink all day or get into trouble.
If Los prados and Gazcue is what you are used to, I wouldn't venture to the 14, there is nothing to see, better off having your gf stay with you in the city..
Also if you were planning on taking a taxi there everyday, it is far, and tons of traffic, not worth your vacation time here!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
i am going to rent an apartahotel and go back and forth to feel out her neighborhood. i am not sure what the name of it is and if it is anymore dangerous than gascue or los prados where i spent a lot of time. She insists that it is very safe and quiet and she never saw any issues in the neighborhood.

Those that live in any particular area,
be it any where in the World,
seldom see it the same as outsiders do.​

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I think I know the general idea now. There is some military headquaters over there somewhere isn't there. They built some lovely new app blocks I remember looking at, but was so far away from work downtown and the traffic being how it always is we found that it wasn't worth the move, although the apartments were very good for the money.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
Isn't that where Pedro Brand is located?

It is on calle cienegas on km14 autopista duarte and is not in the bad cienegas that is near the guandules according to my friend that I work with. It is not a barrio but just a small place off of the highway. He says it should not be a problem but i dont know him too well. He is a janitor who works in my building at work from Santo DOmingo here on a visa. He knows I go there often and said it is not a dangerous street or part of the city.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Its after LaSirena, take a left before the Texaco...I think la 14 is considered part of Los Alcarrizos, Pedro Brand is a bit further up Aut.Duarte...It's not the worst place, but I would be bored out of my mind if I lived there...

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
just ok here is the story. I never been there. my friend has a cousin there that is now my girlfriend over the phone and computer. he hooked us up. I know santo domingo very well but never been to her barrio. i wanted to know if it is safe or if i should avoid it.

Bla bla bla, this ain't Mexico where you're getting kidnapped by the second! This ain't Somalia we're you're getting killed just because you're no muslim!

I'm not even Dominican so there is no reason for me to get offended by these type of topics but I'm getting tired of them and especially at people talking about STAY OUT OF THERE!

If you ain't walking around with bling, NOTHING HAPPENS!!!

It ain't like a barrio got a bird telling on everybody when there is a outsider coming in to test the outsider, just do what you have to do.. nobody will run up to you to put a knife in your guts.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
Thanx, I was just curious. I am headed out to the barrio on Monday with a taxi driver i always use. i am paying him to spend a couple hours which I do sometimes and he will grab a presidente with us there when i meet my girlfriend. Supposedly, she has a friend who I be able to introduce him to. He always looks out for me and tells me how places are and everything about santo domingo. I get it, it is a barrio that is not that bad but is very boring. and is not too safe but is safe if i dont walk around in bling bling or drive through there all the time at night.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
. nobody will run up to you to put a knife in your guts.

Just like no one is going to get out of their car and shoot you for overshooting a junction by 6" (other thread), or shot for making a car stop suddenly by getting right of way crossed wires (witnessed off El Conde), or this or that or whatever someone is killed for every day around the Capital. You get tired all you like, but I could send you down streets in the Capital that you would not make it to the other end without being taxed, and so the site is here for exactly this kind of question.

SO

[video=youtube;jBzPcxm3LPo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBzPcxm3LPo&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Just like no one is going to get out of their car and shoot you for overshooting a junction by 6" (other thread), or shot for making a car stop suddenly by getting right of way crossed wires (witnessed off El Conde), or this or that or whatever someone is killed for every day around the Capital. You get tired all you like, but I could send you down streets in the Capital that you would not make it to the other end without being taxed, and so the site is here for exactly this kind of question.

Dude, get yourself bone and chew on it..

Is it safe to fly?!
- for those who will say no, well.. I ain't got the time to figure the numbers out be we can agree that we don't read in the papers on a daily base that a plane has been crashed.
- for those who will say yes, well.. we got people like you who will go through the Google archives to come up with the most horrific crashes just to make it look like flying is running into a burning house.

Is it safe to drive in general?!
- Same thing for this one..

In other words, yeah yeah yeah.. thanks for your input and thanks for making your own country (if it is) looks like hell. But for those who understand life a bit more than just sitting behind a computer and get shocked by every negative item they read, some people understand that it's just life in general.

Then again, I already see you wanna say some slick ish like.. "well, all the above won't happen in a place like Beverly Hills" hence my first reply "this ain't Mexico or Somalia or whatever no go countries that are 10 times worse than whatever you think Santo Domingo is"

- or shot for making a car stop suddenly by getting right of way crossed wires (witnessed off El Conde)

I live in El Conde, El Conde is tourism zone.. wait. Bet your next reply is about everything bad that happened there so you could let us know that in fact El Conde is not a save place.

Okay, I got you.. :)

PEOPLE, DON'T GO IN ANY BARRIO. AS A MATTER OF FACT, DON'T EVEN LEAVE YOUR HOUSE! :dead:

[video=youtube;AUz1cp-KhO0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUz1cp-KhO0[/video]

Last edited:

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Hold up! I have never said anything about it being dangerous and I don't think it is, but sh1t happens and people are entitled to ask, that is why DR1 exists, so get it right.
My point is that this is what the forum is here for, so people can ask questions like this and then make a decision on what they hear. To simply say 'oh I'm sick of hearing about that' is not helpful at all.
So get your BS right if you have to have a go at it!
You live in a tourist zone? Cool for you, I never have (other than many years ago on the NorthCoast), you would be hard pushed to meet anyone from this board who lives further from the likes of tourist or expat areas than me, so on the contrary, I have had relatively little trouble considering the integration I have made. My response was nothing to do with your idea of safety or not, it was about the reason people are able to ask questions like the OP and get a reasonable reply, unlike, just get on with it, no one is going to stab you.
Would your response to a young family with kids asking if going to Boca would be a good idea be 'Oh I'm sick of these presumptions, just get on with it, go, no one is going to rape your husband'? When, no, this will not happen, but a more informative response could be given along the lines of it might not be the perfect option, there are better options available.
Get it!

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Dude, read at my first post again.. and then read your reply.

Hold up! I have never said anything about it being dangerous and I don't think it is, but sh1t happens and people are entitled to ask, that is why DR1 exists, so get it right.

The OP comes with a story about him going to visit his girl in a barrio, and he asks if it is safe to go there.. we don't even talk about living there. Just to go there. Now what in da hell this guy think is going to happen!??! That is why I came with things like Mexico and Somalia. Ain't nothing going to happen!
My point is that this is what the forum is here for, so people can ask questions like this and then make a decision on what they hear. To simply say 'oh I'm sick of hearing about that' is not helpful at all.

Once again, read my post again.. I didn't simply say or only say that I'm sick of reading things like this. I said as well, don't wear bling and just do what you have to do. There is no code to wear red only, or not to wear blue, or only to walk on the left side of the street.. non of that. Just do what you have to do.

My response was nothing to do with your idea of safety or not, it was about the reason people are able to ask questions like the OP and get a reasonable reply, unlike, just get on with it, no one is going to stab you.

It has everything to do with my idea, who do you think you are fooling.. you are quoting me and then reply to the things I said yet now you're saying that your response had nothing to do with my idea of safety!?!?! Like really!?!?

On top of that, you can't relate to what I said but you just post a couple of things that should warn me or / and the OP because unlike my idea of the safety.. you are here to come to the rescue to let us know that it is not safe. Because this happened, and that happened.. bla bla bla witness in El Conde.

Would your response to a young family with kids asking if going to Boca would be a good idea be 'Oh I'm sick of these presumptions, just get on with it, go, no one is going to rape your husband'? When, no, this will not happen, but a more informative response could be given along the lines of it might not be the perfect option, there are better options available.

Example, there is a thread going on of seniors asking about Santo Domingo Este, the reason I shut my mouth is because I'm a young gringo myself who goes to different barrios and some reasons to go there are girlfriend related. So I know what I'm talking about and I can relate in some way to the OP.

But I shut my mouth when it comes to seniors, or Boca for your example, or a young family.

Once again, all he asked if it's safe to go to his girl in a certain barrio.. it wasn't about an old pair wanted to live in that barrio because then answers would have been different.

So instead acting smart and all that, get with the facts, understand them, and reply to the facts been given.. that's all.

GET IT!?!?