Dios mio!... I wanna live in RD! :D

rourou1810

Mar 28, 2012
Hello everybody!! :)

I'm new on this site. My name is Julie, I'm 25 years old and I'm from Belgium (near to France). My mother tongue is French, I speak English and I try to speak un poquito de Espanol ;-). I'm working here, as accountant.

I travelled to Punta Cana, on the last month and I fell in love with the RD, with locals and all about the country. Since a few years, I would leave my country to go away, to change my life and discover other way of life. I didn't find the RD but the RD found me, I swear. I don't know how to explain but I felt so good there.

I know it's different to go there for holidays and to live there. But I would like to try the experience.

I'm trying to find people who live there or who would like to go there for living to help me in my project. I have to know several things, as where I could find a flat to rent, a job or a humanitary organisation. I would like to stay on the East Coast (Punta Cana, Cortecito) or Higuey.

All of your advices are welcome.

Thank you in advance for your reacts.

Julie

May 12, 2005
Welcome to DR1. Dios Mio you have a lot of research to do. Living in DR is not a vacation. Think long and hard about that.

Feb 7, 2007
The awaking into reality comes when people realize that "vacation" and "living" in the DR are not synonymous.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Living Nowhere is a vacation. However, living abroad could be a life changing/learning experience too.

Rereading your post and your desire to stay on the East coast, did someone in the area found you as well ?

Bonne chance !

PS: The poster BelgianK is from Belgium too.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I suggest you take 4-5hrs to read a bunch of living threads on DR1, then come back and ask VERY specific questions.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Welcome to DR1. Dios Mio you have a lot of research to do. Living in DR is not a vacation. Think long and hard about that.
Of course living in the DR is a vacation. There is far less stress than in many other parts of the world and everything goes so smoothly.
There is a little hastle getting residence permits etc. but nothing really. If there are some savings to get established money pressures may be off because the cost of living is so low. Plus a wonderful environment, enless beaches, friendly people, musical culture etc. etc. I have know people who have just made a spur of the moment decision, maybe with a get-out after 2-3 months and everthing worked out very well.
Compared wih France, Germany ,Turkey everthing goes like a dream.

pi2

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Of course living in the DR is a vacation. There is far less stress than in many other parts of the world and everything goes so smoothly.
There is a little hastle getting residence permits etc. but nothing really. If there are some savings to get established money pressures may be off because the cost of living is so low. Plus a wonderful environment, enless beaches, friendly people, musical culture etc. etc. I have know people who have just made a spur of the moment decision, maybe with a get-out after 2-3 months and everthing worked out very well.

pi2

Rourou, listen to the other people, don't pay to much attention to PI2. He's on something not on to something;)

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I suggest you take 4-5hrs to read a bunch of living threads on DR1, then come back and ask VERY specific questions.

But please, don't read the threads on religion.......very embarrassing........lol

B in Santiago

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Where is nowwhere - sounds kindof exotic. No; in the DR excellent vacation experiences other people travel thousands of miles to get to are on your doorstep.
pi2
Living Nowhere is a vacation. However, living abroad could be a life changing/learning experience too.

Rereading your post and your desire to stay on the East coast, did someone in the area found you as well ?

Bonne chance !

PS: The poster BelgianK is from Belgium too.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010

pi2

How do you say troll in Spanish?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The Eastcoast caould have deceived you, or rather the younger generation of expats who live there and hang out within the area you mention. You are aware that most of them who look and say they are working on projects are actually living in mum and dads house full time while mum and dad only use the house for the couple of weeks per year they are not working to provide a free life for them. I have a feeling I know the crowd you may have become misled by, ad if it is them then they are very pleasant people, cool, into their music big time, hang out and generally live a great life, but off mum and dad, seriously, they are all doing it, even the girls that have opened the new salons are not turning enough to be independent, infact even making a loss, but it does not matter as they are from money and carry a family cash card. This is if you have met the decent spoiled crowd who in general are harmless and will some day let go of the apron strings, I hope.
Let us not even consider you have become involved with the youth of Corticito Haitian or Dominicans, (by youth I mean your age), as you are walking into a huge disaster, when you are a visitor they are great friends to you because you will be leaving and you may well be a mark for them, if you move there then the game changes and you are competition or equal and you will feel a slight cool draft of difference.
Bavaro is the easiest place to find cheap modern accom in the country. You can walk into a one bedroomed apartment, furnished, with communal pool 100mtrs from the beach within 24 hours for 325US p/m exc Bills, Bavaro is a renters market, you can crush asking prices there is so much empty stuff about sitting doing nothing but aging. You can also walk directly into a job with your language skills, waitress, bar work will pay you 6000pesos per month and you will leave work each day with between 100 and 300pesos tips for a shift from anything between 8 and 16 hours getting one day off per week midweek usually. Often they will deduct 2000pesos and throw in accom somewhere close where everyone is housed so the minibus can own you, pick you up in the morning and drop you off in the evening, if you are not working early right through then your travel expense home is on you. Your neighbours will be other bar/restaurant workers, motoconchos, prostitutes, dealers etc.
I am hoping you have not been sold the place by the Haitians and Doms there and have actually liked the lifestyle of the wealthy youth, but unless you are wealthy youth also, then forget this image you have in your head about wonderful lifestyle, it isn't, it is long hours, awful accom unless you have reserves for the type of above mentioned apartment independent.
Maybe do something this year to make spending a prolonged time in the country a possibility, like save up as much as you can, and actually enjoy the stay rather than live a lie and be miserable.
On the other hand, if you have been offered an accountancy job and are already in the mix with the better classes and can keep up with them then go for it.
Good luck, even if you are a Troll.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Julie:
The DR has a way of getting into your bones. It is la vida loca and at times the best and then at times even better. With your background you need to check out the Samana Peninsula on the Northeast coast. My wife and I live in Las Terrenas part of the year. There are approximately 3000 French ex-pats, 1000 Italians, Germans, Swiss many North Americans along with a thriving Dominican and Haitian community. If you speak French you will be a perfect fit. This area has the nicest beaches along with mountains and jungle. Punta Cana is nice for an all inclusive vacation but Las Terrenas is real world and a great place to live and work.

LTS

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
How do you say troll in Spanish?
What,s up - did someone miss their sunshine breakfast? For example porridge oats, fresh pineapple and mango, home brewed coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice? So out comes ,troll,?
Pineapple, large, 3 lbs wt will set you back a dollar and half. Or forget a walk on the beach?
People who can speak and or write 3 or 4 languages are in demand.
In the DR many employers provide a meal so food costs are low in employment.

pi2

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
What,s up - did someone miss their sunshine breakfast? For example porridge oats, fresh pineapple and mango, home brewed coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice? So out comes ,troll,?
Pineapple, large, 3 lbs wt will set you back a dollar and half. Or forget a walk on the beach?
People who can speak and or write 3 or 4 languages are in demand.
In the DR many employers provide a meal so food costs are low in employment.

pi2

You way overpaid your pineapple... you should have paid about half... shame on you...

Maybe people who can write and speak 3 or 4 languages are in demand, but please, when you write something like that, complete it by publishing the ridiculous wages they are paid. You will actually need the free meal in order to survive...

BelgianK

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
This is the creme de la creme of pineapples very large from a supplier who selects his frout carefully - yes I should have skimped 50 cents by walking further, examinig more fruit etc.

If course in Europe and the USA people do internships for free to get experience to put on their CV - very worthwhile.
It is expected that starting saleries will not be good with candidates limited experience in the DR - but $75 dollars or so for a share in an apartment, a couple of beers $1 each - money is also hard to spend.
Different people have different ways to finance their lifestyle in the DR longterm. I know some take a winter contract in Switzerland and this enables them to save for their $150 a dollar rent shared between two in the DR through the long summer months when they run a business in the DR. One suspects they will be ready to buy in the DR soon.

Certainly a contract is a good way to finance - it worked for me and for a friend who took a year off to travel round the world and stay in various contries.

If you have skills a remote contract is good - conference via Skype etc. Sometimes there are tax advantages.

pi2

You way overpaid your pineapple... you should have paid about half... shame on you...

Maybe people who can write and speak 3 or 4 languages are in demand, but please, when you write something like that, complete it by publishing the ridiculous wages they are paid. You will actually need the free meal in order to survive...

BelgianK