Emergency US passport info needed...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I have a friend who had a death in the family and must go to the DR to attend the funeral ASAP.

Problem is, he lost his passport and social security card. He has a copy of the ss card, but not the original. He does not have his US passport number.

He has his birth certificate (born in the DR) and current driver's license.

Questions-

1) Does he need the original social security card to apply for a new passport?

2) On the US Passport Agency website, it states he could claim a lost/stolen passport right on their site. Does he need to go to the nearest police precinct to report it stolen also? I heard this is something one had to do when one loses their passport.

3) At this late a date, could he get a new passport from one day to the next at the US Passport Agency? Do they take walk-ins or does he need to make an appointment? He needs to leave by this coming Tuesday. April 3rd.

4) At the US Passport Agency, they ask for proof of citizenship. What documents does he need to fulfill this requirement, since he was born in the DR but is a US citizen?

Thanks in advance.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
AFAIK The U.S. Citizen Services in SD does not take walk-in. Have your friend call the embassy in SD and explain his situation they will recommend best course of action. He needs to have a local police report documenting the lost or stolen passport. He will also need proof of citizenship. If he has a copy of his passport life will be much easier. If he was naturalized his naturalization certificate will prove his right to a US passport. If he was born abroad to a US citizen parent his consular report of birth will do. Otherwise, I think it will take a few days to verify his US citizen status. The following link should be helpful:
Lost and Stolen U.S. Passports Abroad

And:
Passports | Embassy of the United States Dominican Republic

NotLurking

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
He's in the US and is a citizen, born in the DR. He lost his US passport here in the states.

Will a copy of his social security card be sufficient as proof of citizenship or does he have to apply for a new ss card to get his passport?

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
He's in the US and is a citizen, born in the DR. He lost his US passport here in the states.

Will a copy of his social security card be sufficient as proof of citizenship or does he have to apply for a new ss card to get his passport?
If he knows his SS# the physical SS card is not need to apply for a passport. Unfortunately for your friend a ss card is not proof of US citizenship. This is because of the people who temporarily live in the US and legal residents also have a SS cards.

Have a look at passport processing time including expedited passport service.

Processing Times

NotLurking

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
That's strange. When I got my passport via the same agency I was able to pick it up the day after my initial appointment.

If this is no longer true (and it seems so from the info on their website) then homeboy cannot go to the DR on Tuesday.

Thanks for the info, NotLurking. Much appreciated.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Not sure if this helps but in NYC (down town somewhere) there is an emergency passport office and you get it delivered in a couple of hours. This works for expired passports, not sure about stolen ones and unfortunately am not able to give you the contact info or address at the moment. Good Luck !

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
That's strange. When I got my passport via the same agency I was able to pick it up the day after my initial appointment.

If this is no longer true (and it seems so from the info on their website) then homeboy cannot go to the DR on Tuesday.

Thanks for the info, NotLurking. Much appreciated.

Your welcome. How long ago did you get an expedited passport? Apparently now it takes about 1 week at best :(

NotLurking

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Not sure if this helps but in NYC (down town somewhere) there is an emergency passport office and you get it delivered in a couple of hours. This works for expired passports, not sure about stolen ones and unfortunately am not able to give you the contact info or address at the moment. Good Luck !

CG is right Berzin! Here is all the info needed to:

Schedule an Appointment at the New York Passport Agency only if:

You need your U.S. passport in less than 2 weeks for international travel
You need your U.S. passport within 4 weeks to obtain a foreign visa

Where can I apply if these requirements do not apply to me?

Make an appointment 24 hours a day, 7 days a week using our automated appointment system at 1-877-487-2778.

This agency can issue both the U.S. passport book and U.S. passport card on-site.

Appointments Available From
7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Monday through Friday
Excluding Federal Holidays

Address
Greater New York Federal Building
376 Hudson Street
New York, NY 10014-3621

When You Arrive for Your Appointment

Arrive on time

You will not be admitted more than 15 minutes before the scheduled appointment time
You will not be admitted more than 15 minutes after the scheduled appointment time

You will be required to pass through building security screening and metal detectors

Weapons are prohibited. See Title 18, United States Code, Section 930 .

Check-In at Information Desk

You must present your Social Security Number or Appointment Confirmation Number to verify your appointment
You must present proof of international travel within 2 weeks of the appointment or proof of emergency abroad

Receive your queue number. You will be directed to the interview room on the 10th floor.

The public waiting area is limited to applicants, required witnesses, and those accompanying minors, disabled applicants, or serving as interpreters

source: Schedule an Appointment at the New York Passport Agency

NotLurking

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
NotLurking-yes, the information you posted is from the agency I went to to get my expedited passport.

It was in 2004 though, so I figured the rules changed. They say nothing about getting an expedited passport from one day to the next or what document my friend would need as proof of residency, since his birth certificate is from the DR.

I also know the trick to getting an appointment quickly-start calling early in the morning and hope someone cancels. It's worked before and right now he really has no choice.

He's going to the social security office this morning to see what can be done. If they give him a new card, then we'll purchase the tickets and go through the process of attempting to get the passport.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
He's going to the social security office this morning to see what can be done. If they give him a new card, then we'll purchase the tickets and go through the process of attempting to get the passport.

He needs proof of citizenship to apply for a US passport as I stated before!
Submit Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

When applying for a U.S. passport in person, evidence of U.S. citizenship must be submitted with Form DS-11. All documentation submitted as citizenship evidence will be returned to you. These documents will be delivered with your newly issued U.S. passport or in a separate mailing.
Primary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (One of the following):

Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport
Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state*
check box Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
Naturalization Certificate
Certificate of Citizenship

*A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth. Please note, some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes.

Beginning April 1, 2011, all birth certificates must also include the full names of the applicant's parent(s). For more information, please see New Requirement for all U.S. Birth Certificates.

NOTE: If you do not have primary evidence of U.S. citizenship or your U.S. birth certificate does not meet the requirements, please see Secondary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship.

Source: First Time Applicants

For Secondary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship see:
Secondary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

NotLurking

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I have a friend who had a death in the family and must go to the DR to attend the funeral ASAP.

Problem is, he lost his passport and social security card. He has a copy of the ss card, but not the original. He does not have his US passport number.

He has his birth certificate (born in the DR) and current driver's license.

Questions-

1) Does he need the original social security card to apply for a new passport?

2) On the US Passport Agency website, it states he could claim a lost/stolen passport right on their site. Does he need to go to the nearest police precinct to report it stolen also? I heard this is something one had to do when one loses their passport.

3) At this late a date, could he get a new passport from one day to the next at the US Passport Agency? Do they take walk-ins or does he need to make an appointment? He needs to leave by this coming Tuesday. April 3rd.

4) At the US Passport Agency, they ask for proof of citizenship. What documents does he need to fulfill this requirement, since he was born in the DR but is a US citizen?

Thanks in advance.

If he previously had a U.S. passport he can paid extra money for a "file search" and they will pull up all the info they have when he applied for his last passport.

Passport Fees

File Search(Required when applicant is unable to present evidence of citizenship)
$150.00​

• In addition to the passport application, submit a written request for File Search to verify a previous U.S. Passport or Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  • Applicants who are overseas and whose passport was lost or stolen are exempt from paying the File Search Fee. For more information, see 22 CFR 22.1, Item No. 6.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
My friend called the the US Passport Agency this morning and he is going to do the file search. He can also fill out the form for the lost passport right there and yes, his new passport will be ready the very next day.

This is important to know because on the website it states the fastest way to get an expedited passport is 5-7 days (unless I read it wrong) but I went through the links that were posted very diligently. He won't be leaving when he wants to, but by later next week he'll be in Santiago barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Thanks everyone for the help!!!

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
My friend called the the US Passport Agency this morning and he is going to do the file search. He can also fill out the form for the lost passport right there and yes, his new passport will be ready the very next day.

This is important to know because on the website it states the fastest way to get an expedited passport is 5-7 days (unless I read it wrong) but I went through the links that were posted very diligently. He won't be leaving when he wants to, but by later next week he'll be in Santiago barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Thanks everyone for the help!!!

The 5-7 days expedited passport is only if you mail your passport. If you make an appointment it will be the same day or next day.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The 5-7 days expedited passport is only if you mail your passport. If you make an appointment it will be the same day or next day.

Yes, but that's not mentioned anywhere on their website. So it's important to let anyone know that this can be done via the US Passport Agency and not some agency that charges an exorbitant fee for the same exact service.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Yes, but that's not mentioned anywhere on their website. So it's important to let anyone know that this can be done via the US Passport Agency and not some agency that charges an exorbitant fee for the same exact service.

People need to remember that when you make an appointment, you need to bring proof that you are going to travel within a few days or weeks.

Also not everyone lives near an US Passport Agency, there are only 25 US Passport Agencies in the US, some people needs to use those agencies, that charge exorbitant fee, if they live in a state without one.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
We are lucky to have two in the town where I live. it took me two month to get my new passport four weeks in the waiting to
file the application and four weeks to recive the document in the mail.