starting up a business in santo domingo

junior8338

Mar 28, 2012
Im looking to buy a house or a apartment in DR so i could rent it out as a vacation home..i wanted to get some info on that if it is a good investment where would be a nice place for me to buy im looking for something in a nice neighborhood where alot of tourist people would stay..my spanish is not really that good but my girl lives their she helps me out a little her English is not really that good but she is getting their..my budget is around 50,000 to 1000,000..and im also looking to start up a boutique to sale urban clothing purse and other stuff. any good ides please let me know

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Im looking to buy a house or a apartment in DR so i could rent it out as a vacation home..i wanted to get some info on that if it is a good investment where would be a nice place for me to buy im looking for something in a nice neighborhood where alot of tourist people would stay..my spanish is not really that good but my girl lives their she helps me out a little her English is not really that good but she is getting their..my budget is around 50,000 to 1000,000..and im also looking to start up a boutique to sale urban clothing purse and other stuff. any good ides please let me know

Check SuperCasas.com - Homes for sale Dominican Republic, condos, villas, caribbean real estate - super-casas but with that budget it will be hard.
Also check your English, sorry to tell you.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I suggest you actually spend some time in the DR before investing here.

If you need to be able to market your vacation rental and have a reliable person looking after it, if not, forget it, it's not a business.

The DR has 1,000's of clothes boutiques, it's the first business, along with a salon most Dominicans think of starting. Unless you have a huge network of friends to support you, then you'll need deep pockets to finance your loss for a while.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010

No offense but what you are thinking is a bad idea from the way you are approaching it and has been tried many times, and you want someone to do all the research for you and just hand you a deal.

Doesn't sound like you have been to santo domingo at all, I suggest you come to santo domingo and discover this for yourself as most of santo domingo is not really the 1st place tourist go to on the island, and the main tourist area is zone colonial which $50k or $100k will not buy you much that someone will want to rent out.

And it sounds like your girl convinced you to help her open a store (just guessing) and there are alot of urban stores here, in the malls etc already and with your spanish limited and her english limited and you not being here much how much of your "girl" she is I would question.

Property here is easy to buy but hard to rent and sell especially in non tourist areas, ask your self this questions do you know when the high season is for tourist? Can you make enough during 3-4 months to cover the expense the rest of the year? Who will you get to manage the property, please do not say your girl, 90% chance she will be living there with another guy while you are away. What are your total carrying cost monthly, how much can you rent it per day,night ,week to cover it & make some $$. Just a few questions I would ponder.

Sounds like you are trying to help your girl but doing it from afar your efforts will be in vain.

Whatever you decide good luck and be safe.

Now can somebody pass me the popcorn this is gonna be good....but i have a feeling I seen this movie before.

junior8338

Mar 28, 2012
Make sure you know what you are talking about

no offense but what you are thinking is a bad idea from the way you are approaching it and has been tried many times, and you want someone to do all the research for you and just hand you a deal.

Doesn't sound like you have been to santo domingo at all, i suggest you come to santo domingo and discover this for yourself as most of santo domingo is not really the 1st place tourist go to on the island, and the main tourist area is zone colonial which $50k or $100k will not buy you much that someone will want to rent out.

And it sounds like your girl convinced you to help her open a store (just guessing) and there are alot of urban stores here, in the malls etc already and with your spanish limited and her english limited and you not being here much how much of your "girl" she is i would question.

Property here is easy to buy but hard to rent and sell especially in non tourist areas, ask your self this questions do you know when the high season is for tourist? Can you make enough during 3-4 months to cover the expense the rest of the year? Who will you get to manage the property, please do not say your girl, 90% chance she will be living there with another guy while you are away. What are your total carrying cost monthly, how much can you rent it per day,night ,week to cover it & make some $$. Just a few questions i would ponder.

Sounds like you are trying to help your girl but doing it from afar your efforts will be in vain.

Whatever you decide good luck and be safe.

Now can somebody pass me the popcorn this is gonna be good....but i have a feeling i seen this movie
before.

i'm not trying to open anything for my girl lets get that correct before you start saying a whole a lot of bull sh*t...and i would never let her manage it.. I got family in haiti who knows about real estate and wouldn't mind running it for me..and are you sure you know what you are talking about because i have been browsing the net and i have run into a few nice apartments in good areas that a lot of tourist people go to and they have been going for that amount.. And i wouldn't mind spending a little more i was just giving a estimate..i have been to santo domingo a few times just haven't stayed that long i only be staying for like 11 days next time i go i will be their for a month..next time you come on this thread to say something make sure you know what you are talking about...and make sure your bank account have some racks in their if not stay off this thread..

Now pass me that dam popcorn bra because you haven't seen this movie yet

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I totally agree with Robert.. you need to see the D.R. first... or at least the area you're interested in. BUT... if you're going to buy as a rental / investment you need to consider you target market. Overall, your best areas for tourists from N.America and Europe would be Punta Cana or North Coast (Puerto Plata / Sosua / Cabarete). In these areas at least there is already an awareness and established tourist trade. I don't know how popular Juan Dolio is with foreign tourists, but as a rough measure, I've never seen it advertised as a destination. In P.C., tourism is by far dominated by the A.I.'s. There is a small but growing market for condo rentals, but as Robert said, you need someone managing it for you.

junior8338

Mar 28, 2012
I suggest you actually spend some time in the DR before investing here.

If you need to be able to market your vacation rental and have a reliable person looking after it, if not, forget it, it's not a business.

The DR has 1,000's of clothes boutiques, it's the first business, along with a salon most Dominicans think of starting. Unless you have a huge network of friends to support you, then you'll need deep pockets to finance your loss for a while.

the boutiques was just an idea i had in mind the vacation home is my main focus i know i would need someone reliable to run it, that's why next time i go to DR i plan on spending a month or more to find out more about the business and to learn more spanish..i have a few people that a have rent from before and ask them some advise about it they told me they was welling to run it for me but i dont trust them..

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Junior,

Here's a post I put up earlier for someone asking a similar question:

First, welcome to DR1. Your question is one that comes up fairly frequently on this board. The infamous saying around the island is "The easiest way to leave to DR a millionaire is to arrive as a multi-millionaire." While not impossible, it is very difficult for an inexperienced newcomer to do well right off the bat in DR.

The general advice, which I think applies here, is as follows:

1) First, move to the country, and spend at least 6 months to a year getting acclimated and simply paying attention to your surroundings. You can learn an awful lot by quietly watching what works and doesn't work in the country.

1a) You'll also learn what a realistic budget is, and how much money you'll need to make/supplement to meet those requirements.*

2) During that time, learn Spanish if you don't already have a solid grasp of it. Get to know as many people who can help you in business as possible.

3) Find a business opportunity (meaning some product or service in which an unfulfilled demand appears to exist) that a) YOU like, AND b) you seem pretty good at. Learn the true costs and requirements of it by working for someone who's actually got an established biz. You'll learn how it really operates, who your suppliers should (and shouldn't) be, which officials you've got to work through, and who your real customer base is and how best to reach them (might not be in a mall at all).

4) STRONGLY CONSIDER pursuing a business you can run remotely. Many people here work as freelance writers, translators, IT types, have e-commerce sites, consult, etc. That way you can run your business according to rules you are already familiar with, in your native language, and get paid at "home country" rates.

Either way, good luck.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
nobody convinced me to open anything im just trying to explore some different business i just ask a question to get some answers.. she doesn't have any kids like i told the other guy before you come on here and say something just know what you are talking about.. and make sure you know what you are talking about and make sure you have some dam money in your bank account..because people with no money always got something dam to say

Ask a question to get some answers?? Sounds like you have them all.

We're just trying to help you avoid a mistake but since you spend 11 days at a time or maybe a month next time I guess you will have it figured out more than the rest of us who have enough racks to live here full time can't see.

Actually it's people with no money who always refer to it as racks and $50k or $100k isn't alot money even in the DR.

Carry on...

Now back to my popcorn.

junior8338

Mar 28, 2012
thank

Junior,

Here's a post I put up earlier for someone asking a similar question:

First, welcome to DR1. Your question is one that comes up fairly frequently on this board. The infamous saying around the island is "The easiest way to leave to DR a millionaire is to arrive as a multi-millionaire." While not impossible, it is very difficult for an inexperienced newcomer to do well right off the bat in DR.

The general advice, which I think applies here, is as follows:

1) First, move to the country, and spend at least 6 months to a year getting acclimated and simply paying attention to your surroundings. You can learn an awful lot by quietly watching what works and doesn't work in the country.

1a) You'll also learn what a realistic budget is, and how much money you'll need to make/supplement to meet those requirements.*

2) During that time, learn Spanish if you don't already have a solid grasp of it. Get to know as many people who can help you in business as possible.

3) Find a business opportunity (meaning some product or service in which an unfulfilled demand appears to exist) that a) YOU like, AND b) you seem pretty good at. Learn the true costs and requirements of it by working for someone who's actually got an established biz. You'll learn how it really operates, who your suppliers should (and shouldn't) be, which officials you've got to work through, and who your real customer base is and how best to reach them (might not be in a mall at all).

4) STRONGLY CONSIDER pursuing a business you can run remotely. Many people here work as freelance writers, translators, IT types, have e-commerce sites, consult, etc. That way you can run your business according to rules you are already familiar with, in your native language, and get paid at "home country" rates.

Either way, good luck.

thank you for your help i will take everything you said into consideration.. I was not looking to start it up right away. i'm trying to get a heads up on everything first

junior8338

Mar 28, 2012
LMAO...i never said it was a lot of money all i said i was just looking to spend that much..and a lot people in DR would love to have 50,000 to 100,000k in their account i know i would if i didnt have the money...but thank you for your help

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
nobody convinced me to open anything im just trying to explore some different business i just ask a question to get some answers.. she doesn't have any kids like i told the other guy before you come on here and say something just know what you are talking about.. and make sure you know what you are talking about and make sure you have some dam money in your bank account..because people with no money always got something dam to say

All I can say is be careful!! These fellows here are just trying to warn you of what "could" happen, not necessarily what will happen, that part is entirely up to you! Dont get offended by the comments as there have been many on here who have had the same ideas and fell victim. Of course this is a forum so nobody truly knows the other, just opinions. Take it for what its worth!!! Oh, and yes this is just my "two cents" and yes, I checked my bank accounts and YES they have healthy sums!!:)

junior8338

Mar 28, 2012
yea thanks for the help i know how it gets on these thread i dont take it serious it all good i just laugh at the comments

junior8338

Mar 28, 2012
HELL!!! People in the USA would love to have 50,000USD to 100,000USD in their account including me. Look j8338 I am BROKE as a JOKE I should be asking you for advice to let me know how I could have a 100 stacks sitting in my account chillin!!! HOW could I be down. HELP a Brotha out.

I know rite who does wants that much money in their account im just trying to better my life to always have money so i could always be able to help my family out..i got my own business in the us..im a accounting i own a tax service business and i do a little real estate.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Anybody in their right mind would never invest in the DR...

Why, plenty of expats have done very well in the DR.

The problem with most expats is that they think they know better and never take the time to learn the culture and network at the right level.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
See Robert if we had an App then I could respond to this cuckoo thread all the way until my flight leaves...

I have an app, but I have been way too busy doing other stuff to fine tune it, maybe sometime over the next few weeks.

Feb 7, 2007
i'm not trying to open anything for my girl lets get that correct before you start saying a whole a lot of bull sh*t...and i would never let her manage it.. I got family in haiti who knows about real estate and wouldn't mind running it for me..and are you sure you know what you are talking about because i have been browsing the net and i have run into a few nice apartments in good areas that a lot of tourist people go to and they have been going for that amount.. And i wouldn't mind spending a little more i was just giving a estimate..i have been to santo domingo a few times just haven't stayed that long i only be staying for like 11 days next time i go i will be their for a month..next time you come on this thread to say something make sure you know what you are talking about...and make sure your bank account have some racks in their if not stay off this thread..

Now pass me that dam popcorn bra because you haven't seen this movie yet

Leave the attitude or you will be left alone on DR1