moving to DR soon--

olive

Mar 29, 2012
Hi...my husband and I are moving to the DR in May---trying to decide between the Juan Dolio area and Sousa...
I'm sure I'll have lots of questions....and really appreciate this community which i have followed for a while. I decided to join to ask the burning question on my mind (don't be judgmental....) does anyone know of a Matrix hair stylist... seriously. olive

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hi...my husband and I are moving to the DR in May---trying to decide between the Juan Dolio area and Sousa...
I'm sure I'll have lots of questions....and really appreciate this community which i have followed for a while. I decided to join to ask the burning question on my mind (don't be judgmental....) does anyone know of a Matrix hair stylist... seriously. olive

Have you ever visited the DR?

Matrix hair stylist? No idea. Santo Domingo has a bunch of high end salons.

I suggest you spend 4-5hrs to read this forum, then come back and ask very specific questions.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Juan Dolio

Empty during the week, busy at weekends
Fab beach - no bars on beach, caribbean sea
45 mins to capital
some restaurants and bars
Some expats, mostly Italian and German
No supermarket - nearest one San Pedro 15 mins away
More chance of hurricane
Ex tourist town, now weekend home for wealthy Dominicans

B] Sosua[/B]
Always people around
Atlantic - never been to beach but heard is nice
3+ hours to capital, hour or so to Santiago
Loads of restaurants and bars
Full of expats of all nationalities
Has supermarket
More chance of earthquake
Tourist town including sex tourism
I could go on... but as suggested come back with specific questions.

Matlda

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
JUAN DOLIO

Golf Courses- Metro Country Club / Guavaberry
Mcc- continuing electricity- water- security, very tight. Apartments, townhouses, Embassy Suites Hotel.
New Pinewood Studios- currently under construction, growth area for Santo Domingo residents who want beach and calmer area. Prime beaches, restaurants on beach in old Juan Dolio and in Guayacanes (3 minutes ) with variety of beach clubs.
15 minutes to Las AMerican INtl airport- main country intl airport- direct from here to everywhere.
San Pedro- 15 minutes away (get most of the stuff as if in Santo Domingo).
Can't beat it.

olive

Mar 29, 2012
yes, i have been to both places as well as most of the north shore. My husband grew up in Santo Domingo so he knows the country very well.

I was just specifically asking about hair salons which I have not had the chance to visit yet. I wondered if anyone had any recommendations. thanks to all you who replied.

Gemcee

Dec 30, 2009
My father in law has lived in Juan Dolio for 25 years. It has come a long way and is going to be such a hot spot with the new studio being built. The beach is amazing, the drive to the capital is easy, close to the airport, fairly close to OLE...I am a big fan of Juan Dolio!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Would it be someone who did the "HAIR" for the movie????????????????????????????????????????????
The guys all had the same hair!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Anywhere but Sosua - Las Terrenas, Bayahibe etc. etc. JD is a bit built up with tower blocks some people do not like.
Dominicans are generally skilled with hair and are in demand the World over. There is a good chance of finding an excellent stylist for whatever style you want to achive. You could bring your own products you like and ask the stylist to use them. I am not sure that they are available in DR. V S of course has artists in the DR.
pi2

pi2

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Sosua is far and away the better choice. Try living in the DR without a supermarket!!! Plus we are getting a new big super modern market soon. Kinda like a small WalMart. Sosua has a beautiful beach located on a bay so that the water is clean and calm. Wonderful for swimming. Plus the beach has a line of shade trees so that you do not have to bake in the sun. Sosua is a small old town with winding streets and lots to do. Our new Mayor has made a number of very good changes. The town is clean, safe and growing with leaps and bounds and we have a new hospital right at the edge of town. We have our own International Airport located 10 minutes away. We are only 15 minutes from Cabarete which is a world class kite surf beach. We have three nice gyms if you want to exercise. The town is made of of many different nationalities and has an excellent school in Englsh with grades 1 to 12(Internatinal School Sosua) and its accredited so that you can go from there to an American college. Some of the nicest people I know live in Sosua. And best of all the North Coast very rarely gets hurricanes as they tend to go past the DR on the south side of the island and strike the capital and the south coast. We are not earthquake prone either. The last small equake was like in 1988 and it was not serious. Between the two its not a hard choice. Look forward to seeing you relaxing on our beautiful beach in Sosua.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Hurrricanes in Juan Dolio

Dont forget that aspect. JD is right in the hurricane path. Just google hurrican tracks in the DR and you will see.
I am an ex Floridian and have gone thru a number of hurricanes. They are no joke and can leave you without lights or water for weeks at a time. The south coast gets hit on a regular basis while the north is virtually hurricane free. One hurrricane will make you a believer.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Other resorts have multiple beaches and supermarkets too. Many live without a supermarket as they can be overprices. Airports are not far from the other resorts such as Las Terrenas, Bayahibe area etc. Check out also if you want to live 1st. or 2nd. line to the beach this is attractive to many but not many residences qualify in Sosua.

In the end it comes down to personal preferences.

pi2

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Sosua is far and away the better choice. Try living in the DR without a supermarket!!! Plus we are getting a new big super modern market soon. Kinda like a small WalMart. Sosua has a beautiful beach located on a bay so that the water is clean and calm. Wonderful for swimming. Plus the beach has a line of shade trees so that you do not have to bake in the sun. Sosua is a small old town with winding streets and lots to do. Our new Mayor has made a number of very good changes. The town is clean, safe and growing with leaps and bounds and we have a new hospital right at the edge of town. We have our own International Airport located 10 minutes away. We are only 15 minutes from Cabarete which is a world class kite surf beach. We have three nice gyms if you want to exercise. The town is made of of many different nationalities and has an excellent school in Englsh with grades 1 to 12(Internatinal School Sosua) and its accredited so that you can go from there to an American college. Some of the nicest people I know live in Sosua. And best of all the North Coast very rarely gets hurricanes as they tend to go past the DR on the south side of the island and strike the capital and the south coast. We are not earthquake prone either. The last small equake was like in 1988 and it was not serious. Between the two its not a hard choice. Look forward to seeing you relaxing on our beautiful beach in Sosua.

To the OP:

Sosua is all those things, and more. It's a very pleasant town nestled into the middle of the North Coast. Two things, however:

First, and this cannot be overstated, Sosua has a notorious reputation as a sex tourism capital. The Mayor has tried her best to get stuff under control, but the prostitution trade is alive and well. The whole town isn't overrun by any means, but if you tell any Dominican (or half-savvy person back home) where you live, they'll wrinkle their nose and assume you're a monger, or a clueless tourist. I'll leave it to you to determine which is worse, or if you even care, but either way you should know.

Second, Sosua is a THIRD WORLD BEACH TOWN. It offers an abundance of sand, sun, sea, and small shops, but that's really about it. There's about 8 restaurants worth going to, some good golf courses, and other "beach touristy" things available. If that's what you want, and all you need, then you'll be fine. If you are into diverse shopping and cultural amenities, it's not the place for you. Forget art exhibits and concerts; there's no movie theatre.

Many people don't care about that, and enjoy watching their movies and Lady Gaga on HBO. Further, Santiago (which has all that stuff) is only about 1.5-2 hours away. But understand you are giving up a lot for the ability to go to the beach every day.

My advice would be to reconsider a town like Santiago or Santo Domingo, then go to the beach as often as it pleases you. Santiago is precisely as far from Sosua as Sosua is from Santiago, and it's helpful to remember that no part of the country is more than two hours away from a beach. You'll have a far better shot at integrating into society, doing some worthwhile work, and dramatically improved options for shopping, eating and other diversions. Oh, and Santiago (the whole Cibao Valley, actually) has much milder weather, and a cost of living that's a fraction of Sosua.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
no one is answering the question ! actually I have no idea what matrix hair is , but doubtful that there is one whatever it is

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Guys, Matrix is a very popular line of salon hair products, including coloring. Salons who use it are trained by the company, and women are very unwilling to switch product lines when something works.

That being said, I've never seen Matrix advertised here, but I'd bet there's a salon somewhere in Santo Domingo using it.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Areas round Bayahibe and Las Terrenas have beautiful natural surroundings and are only a short coach ride from the capital for shopping etc. They are also fast developing with an ever increasing range of facilities. Dining at World Class luxury hotels, yachting etc. etc. Roads are in good order.

pi2

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Santiago is 2 hours by coach from Capital, JD 1.5 hours, LT 2.5 - 3, Bayahibe 2 - 2.5, JD `1.5 . Bayabibe are is only 1 hour from DR,s premier internationbal airport. All short coach trips for week-end away.

pi2

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
"Wanna Bet"???????????????????????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Depends on time of day but these are approx timings.

LT and JD have very nice developments on the beach. DR is one of the last places in the Caribbean where exquiste beachside property with high amenities is available at prices that are affordable to many people. Plus it is an excellent transport hub for international flights with with direct connections to Russia, France etc. etc.
The cost of living is very low.

pi2