Where to find grilled whole CHICKEN, Cabarete/Sosua

latitude19

May 29, 2011
One thing I really miss about Santiago is the chicken we bought from the neighborhood pollero. (cooked chicken seller) He was a great guy, honest and detailed. A friend as well. His chicken was the best grilled chicken I've ever had. He was located just a tad west of La Fuente Supermercado. Anybody ever bought chicken from him??

Where is the BEST place to get a whole grilled chicken here in Cabarete or Sosua?? (I've been eating fried and need to STOP.) Plz be specific if Sosua, as don't know the city well. thanks, tom

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Just look for signs that say "Pollo Al Carbon" There are dozens in Sosua and Cabarete and almost all good...just take a look and make sure they're not too burned or seem dried out.

When in Sosua, I always go to the guy in a small storefront on Pedro Clisante, 100 or so meters east of Super Super Liquors...a whole grilled chicken is 250 with guineos or yucca and onions. A little farther down, just past Club Residencial Condos is Pollo Norteno...he used to be the most popular in town...last time I was there it was still great and I think about the same (250) for a whole chicken.

In Cabarete, the guy at the entrance to Callejon de La Loma (on the left), across form Ocean Dream is pretty good...a little more, but there are more sides...rice, fries, tostones, salad, etc.

The rotisserie chicken at Janet's is really good...115 pesos a pound, so a whole chicken is around 300 pesos.

May 12, 2005
One thing I really miss about Santiago is the chicken we bought from the neighborhood pollero. (cooked chicken seller) He was a great guy, honest and detailed. A friend as well. His chicken was the best grilled chicken I've ever had. He was located just a tad west of La Fuente Supermercado. Anybody ever bought chicken from him??

Where is the BEST place to get a whole grilled chicken here in Cabarete or Sosua?? (I've been eating fried and need to STOP.) Plz be specific if Sosua, as don't know the city well. thanks, tom

Are you talking about Flaco?

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hey, Don't ever remember him being called Flaco. I am not good with names. Don't remember his. Rosa doesn't either. He sells chicken DIRECTLY in front of the La Fuente large parking lot across from the hamburger, taco, yaroa sit down restaurant. His wife and young daughter are many times with him.

I think we bought chicken from him at least 30 times. Be sure to try his chicken. It really is the best!!!

Are you talking about Flaco?

May 5, 2007

When you say grilled, are you talking about rotisserie type?

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008

My maid's husband makes the best "pollo el carbon" I have ever had. And he delivers; just have to order it. He lives just West of Cabarete. PM me if interested.

May 29, 2006
I just made some this morning in the oven using a beer can cooker. I rubbed the chicken with oil, and then seasoned it with Ranch Dressing Mix with a pizza shaker. Baked at 400 for about an hour, depending on size. You can also use a bundt cake pan for a vertical roaster after covering the center hole with some aluminum foil. You can use an Adobo seasoning if you can't get the Ranch Dressing Mix, but I've found that the Ranch works really great. I finished the whole chicken in about 20 minutes. Way better than any store bought rotisserie and super moist.

Beats the hell out of any street chicken I had in the DR. I love the flavor on the carbon but it's not often fresh or moist.

Last edited:

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Try "Big D's" drunken grilled chicken at Sosua Beach, while you are there, try his great spareribs! They're really good!!!! :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It's probably the local seasoning they use, it's called wasacaca(guasacaca). It's also really good with the grilled casabe bread.

May 29, 2006
Peter, where do you find the ranch dressing mix?

Not sure if you can get the Ranch Mix in the DR, but you should be able to get GOYA Adobo, I'd think. Here is a recipe for ranch mix from scratch:

2 teaspoons dried chives
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons dried dill weed
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

I think it would work fine without the dill. I've found having the pizza shaker makes it really easy, but I've also use a standard dredge shaker (or even salt shaker) works, although the holes are a bit smaller. Adobo has the garlic, onion, salt and pepper, which is where most of the flavor comes from.

Another rub I do is equal parts Paprika, Granulated Garlic, Onion Powder, Salt & Pepper. I also use that on home fries and French Fries.

The Original Beer Can Chicken recipe , they'd stick a half can of beer up into a chicken and then put it on the grill vertically. The beer was suppose to steam the chicken from the inside and keep it moist and the juices drained off the side.

May 12, 2005
Hey, Don't ever remember him being called Flaco. I am not good with names. Don't remember his. Rosa doesn't either. He sells chicken DIRECTLY in front of the La Fuente large parking lot across from the hamburger, taco, yaroa sit down restaurant. His wife and young daughter are many times with him.

I think we bought chicken from him at least 30 times. Be sure to try his chicken. It really is the best!!!

Pollo Flaco was behind the Hache

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Not sure if you can get the Ranch Mix in the DR, but you should be able to get GOYA Adobo, I'd think. Here is a recipe for ranch mix from scratch:

2 teaspoons dried chives
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons dried dill weed
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

I think it would work fine without the dill. I've found having the pizza shaker makes it really easy, but I've also use a standard dredge shaker (or even salt shaker) works, although the holes are a bit smaller. Adobo has the garlic, onion, salt and pepper, which is where most of the flavor comes from.

Another rub I do is equal parts Paprika, Granulated Garlic, Onion Powder, Salt & Pepper. I also use that on home fries and French Fries.

The Original Beer Can Chicken recipe , they'd stick a half can of beer up into a chicken and then put it on the grill vertically. The beer was suppose to steam the chicken from the inside and keep it moist and the juices drained off the side.

I like the idea of the beercan, and I like the dressing for the chicken and going to give it a try, but putting that dressing with the paprika on fries makes me shudder.

BTW, have not tried it myself but some people told me the el chango fried chicken on the main road, close to the international school is horrendous... some strange herb they use apparently...

BelgianK

May 29, 2006
I like the idea of the beercan, and I like the dressing for the chicken and going to give it a try, but putting that dressing with the paprika on fries makes me shudder.

BelgianK

It's not dressing, but the dry mix you would add to buttermilk and mayonnaise to make Ranch Dressing.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

BTW, have not tried it myself but some people told me the el chango fried chicken on the main road, close to the international school is horrendous... some strange herb they use apparently...

BelgianK

Here Peter, just Google it.

Beer Can Chicken Recipe | Simply Recipes

You can put lemon in the beer can, anything you fancy.... it's idiot proof (not intended to mean you're the idiot, just to say its easy)