Where is the place to buy really nice cookware in Santiago

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I'm looking for a Cuisinart, Calaphon, etc 12 piece cookpot set. It turned out to be way too much money to order it from the USA, $554 with aduanas and shipping!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Just so you know...

I bought some of the good local cookpots (not the cheap ones used by the poor locals, but the line above it), and I am very happy with them. They are indestructible and easy to clean.

I also bought some highly expensive cuisinart pans in Nacional, and they just do not last here. Waste of money...

Let your fiancee choose them, she will know what she likes to work with.

BelgianK

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Just so you know...

I bought some of the good local cookpots (not the cheap ones used by the poor locals, but the line above it), and I am very happy with them. They are indestructible and easy to clean.

I also bought some highly expensive cuisinart pans in Nacional, and they just do not last here. Waste of money...

Let your fiancee choose them, she will know what she likes to work with.

BelgianK
I also bought some of the local stuff for my maid as she didn't like the "good stuff". But i have started really liking it when i cook too! And mine is the cheapest. I had her buy it from a vendor.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Don't do it unless you have a Cordon Bleu chef hidden in your kitchen. Just use the cheap stuff you can get at any of the supermarkets...

You have been warned....

Remember where you are.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you choose to continue with Cuisinart, etc. - just buy it, ship it to a mudanza and it will arrive at your door tax free for less than $50 from NYC.

Search AWILDA for the mudanza contact

BTW, thats what we have and it works well here.
Yes, we have the aluminum ware for the local people.....

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Just so you know...

Why don't they last here? It is my wife who wants them.
She actually has the skills to use them, she has a certificate as a professional baker.

Last edited:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Why don't they last here? It is my wife who wants them.

I do not really know. I had them in Belgium and loved them... and they lasted for ever. But I cooked induction, and put them in the dishwasher.

There are two reasons I can think of. First of all the dishwashing soaps here are much more agressive. And the people washing the pots are as well... lol. And the stuff they use to wash them is even more agressive.

I would love some copper pots for cooking (sauce especially), but I know our cleaning lady... lol

BelgianK

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Don't know, but if I were you I'd try IKEA or CARREFOUR.
I've used Cuisinart since living in France in the 70s. Never a problem.
BTW, aluminum is a carcinogen, and I recently read somewhere that teflon is as well.
Stay with stainless with a heat sink bottom plate like Cuisinart.
But if you've got a Dom cook in the kitchen, let them use what they want or you'll have hell to pay.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Calphalon and Le Creuset and solid cast iron we brought with us 7 years ago is all we use. The Calphalon is 15+ years old and Le Creuset 10+. Still going strong. I've never seen it here, but if located it would probably be significantly over priced. I agree with the recommendation to buy in the U.S. and ship with a reputable company. The wait will be worth it in the long run.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I'm looking for a Cuisinart, Calaphon, etc 12 piece cookpot set. It turned out to be way too much money to order it from the USA, $554 with aduanas and shipping!

@Trainedpuppy - I see the misses is really starting to do a number on your wallet, has she ordered the Henkel knife set yet, those will only set you back a grand? What is wrong with old fashioned cheap kitchen pots and pans that she grew up with, not good enough all of a sudden, the concon won't stick to Calphalon you know!

terrible tambo'

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
I know that I saw a Calphalon cookware set a couple of weeks ago at PriceSmart. Sorry, I wasn't shopping for some, so I didn't look for the price.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Just purchased several different sizes of heavyweight frying pans with the Non stick Ceramic coating..........
You can even use steel utensils and scrubbing pads without hurting the finish....
Average cost was 800 pesos each at La Sirena.......

B in Santiago

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
i think aluminum is the way to go here

there was huge campaign in the US that it caused altzheimers so that we would all buy teflon.. and now we have been ingesting teflon for half a century or so

i bought my sarten used up on the border market in Dajabon

carried it home in back back

then i bought a piece of $%@#$^$% wok from ikea.. covered in teflon crak-0i0-ikjkj which is now ingested by me and my dinner guests.. and now rusting...

shudda bought the ones in here in china town

note to self

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
when i was 40 or so i finally bought really great cooking pots.. the copper pots,,, you all know, right?

and when i left the states, they were in my car

i left them with a friend in Maine

they are the only thing that i have stored

except for one suitcase of papers

copper pots

i am gonna have ta go back and get them

cause i can always melt them down

note to self

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
China town is the place to buy good heay solid steel/iron pans that will stand up to everything. Just wipe a towl with cooking oil inside after use.

Prices are very reasonable.

pi2

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
China town is the place to buy good heay solid steel/iron pans that will stand up to everything. Just wipe a towl with cooking oil inside after use.

Prices are very reasonable.

pi2

Is there an actual Chinatown in the DR..............
Been to Chinatown in Chicago, San Francisco, and Phoenix (very small, more like a Chinese shopping center)
But can't find one here....hope this isn't like the cruise you talked about to Cuba,
You need to be more precise......

B in Santiago

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Is there an actual Chinatown in the DR..............
Been to Chinatown in Chicago, San Francisco, and Phoenix (very small, more like a Chinese shopping center)
But can't find one here....hope this isn't like the cruise you talked about to Cuba,
You need to be more precise......

B in Santiago

It is in SD near the colonial zone - any taxi will know. Well worth the bus coach fare if you buy several pans.

pi2

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Thank you, 6 years here and I never knew.........
Are there good Chinese restaurants there also........I know, stupid question.....

B in Santiago

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
much as i really hate to encourage pipi.. he is right

yes, indeed,, some very good real chinese restaurants..

and super markets

with tins of jasmine tea

and teapots

and great woks and stuff as pipi pointed out

and dried chinese mushrooms

but they come in giant bags

and often have bugs if you do not freeze them first

like the pasta from italy

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I talked her out of it, it turns out what she really wanted was a second frying pan to use for french fries.