• Thread starter "The Tourist Watcher"
  • Start date

Most Polluted Cities in the World

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

For those of you who were worried sick about that ashy stuff flying around yesterday over Santo Domingo, do not dispair. There are bigger pollution problems in places you would not suspect. For intance, In the Florida Everglades as seen in papers around the world today giant contaminated dust clouds are advancing all over Florida, while in cities like Bangkok there are Oxygen Bars, which are oasis of clean oxygen boutiques so that people can take a breath of clean air. Denver, Colorado world famous for its beautiful ski slopes and powdered snow is covered year-round by a dark and now smog infested cloud that combined with its thin atmosphere, makes breathing almost impossible.

HERE ARE THE MOST POLLUTED CITIES IN THE WORLD:
Santiago de Chile Bangkok Tokyo
New York Macao Chicago
Mexico City Taipei Detroit
Kuala Lampur Los Angeles Singapore
Philadelphia Atlanta Hong Kong And......let us not forget that like every summer London, according the Organization Friends of the Earth "Once Again, Britain is choking in the sunshine"

So, people of the world do not despair about all the garbage we have in Santo Domingo. At least we can breath. And for all those living in the 15 Ozone meccas of the world, we got beautiful beaches ready for you, with lots of fresh air.

H

hlywud

Things will be a lot cleaner when Hippy accepts the donation from the European fund for the new recylcing facility, as long as someone picks up the trash.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Hippy will pick it up to make a wig *DC*

D

DR-VETERAN

now i know why you are so well informed.you read diario libre.
the new daily gratis paper.

R

rubio

i must respectfully disagree, you obviously speak emotionally with imcomplete facts. I live in NY, and have spent alot of time in santo domingo too. as much as i will not argue air quality with you, the issue of sanitation is much more dangerous to a persons health. First the water, i drink water from the faucet in NY and never have gotten sick, as for santo domingo well, i need not say more.next the garbage in the streets, well bacteria in born in garbage.i am sure the birth defect rate in NY versus santo domingo is not worth talking about. i love santo domingo, but you should be honest with yourself, I love santo domingo, but not because it is a health place , because compared to NY it is not

R

RON

YOU HAVE TO SEPERATE NY CITY, WITH THE REST OF NEW YORK STATE. I LIVE AN HOUR FROM NIAGARA FALLS AND BUFFALO NY AND COMPARED TO NY CITY THIS IS THE GARDEN OF EDEN. I'VE ONLY BEEN TO SANTO DOMINGO ONCE AND NYCITY ONCE AND THEY ARE NICE CITIES, BUT WOULD NOT LIVE IN EITHER ONE DUE TO THE CRIME AND CORRUPTION AND YES LOTS OF GARBAGE. COME TO WESTERN NY AND THE SHORES OF LAKE ERIE AND YOU WILL ENJOY YOURSELF. THIS IS WINE COUNTRY, GREAT FISHING AND HUNTING, MOUNTAIN CLIMBING OR WATER SKIING, SNOW SKIING OR SANDY BEACHES. WE HAVE IT ALL!!!

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

I am not well informed. USA Today is responsible for issuing the title of the 15 most polluted cities in the world. You may want to contact them and verify if they got their facts wrong.

And as far as Chicago, New York and Detroit I speak from experience. I have lived in two of the cities and worked closely in an area with Detroit.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

I believe you are the one getting emotional about it and I can understand it. I love New York more than any city in the USA and my roots are from there. In fact, I consider myself more of a New Yorker than a Santo Domingoan. But lets it put straight like you said.

The question of garbage is something that has always been a sore point with New York City. As efficient as the Sanitation Dept, there is, it cannot handle the quantities of garbage from city dwellers. New York is very dirty, except for Midtown Manhattan. In my original statement I gave New York credit for its water. It is not only clean water, it is the cleanest water in the world. In fact in a study done many years ago it was compared to Perrier and other bottle water, and the water straight from New York fawcets was cleaner and healthier than any water. But remember, New York water comes from a source hundreds of miles away in Upstate New York and it is processed heavily to be that clean. If the water had to come from New York City and its environment it would have been poisonous.

As for diseases, there terrible infectious diseases permeating the air of New York City and its suburbs. In Fact, just recently, the EPA in cooperation with the State of New York had to fumigate large areas of the metro area to eliminate the dangerous mosquito plague that was causing an epidemic of meningitis. There are still pockets of Legionnaires Disease, which is found in air-conditioned ducts, which absorb this airborne disease. On the sewer problems of NYC it is important to note that New York beaches are so dirty that floating feces are visible to the eye. New York Orchard Beach is called "La Playa de los Mojones" by Dominicans, who know better. Coney Island is highly polluted by garbage and pollutants coming from Bayonne and the ports of New Jersey.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Upstate NY Vs NYC

I agree with you that upstate New York is a lot different than NYC. In fact I used to ski at Hunter Mountain, ususally leaving every Saturday morning on the bus from Scandinavian Ski Shop on 57th. Street, and Hunter Mtn. usually had always over 20" of packed snow. For a New York Resort this was outstanding. The air was always fresh.

However, I would have a point of contention as to Lake Erie clean waters. The Great Lakes, as I mentioned in other forum exchanges are highly polluted by PCB.Thereare quite a few heavily polluted industrial cities on Lake Erie that have nothing to envy Gary, Indiana pollution wise.

T

Tom F.

TW, It is West Nile Virus they are spraying for in the NYC area. It is a type of encephalitis. There is major opposition to the spraying of the pesticide (can't remember the name). It makes more people sick than those it prevents from getting the virus.

About NYC water, it is reported to have one of the best drinking water for major metropolitian areas but I would not drink it directly from the faucet. There are still many issues around bacterias, lead pipes in homes, and they add floride to water.