Best Vehicles to own in the DR

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I was thinking of requesting a "poll" on this but figured it best to solicit members for content.

What are the best vehicles to own in the DR? I am more leaning in the SUV or crossover models as they seem to stand up best overall due to poor road conditions.

The criteria would be something along the lines of;

Good bang for the buck.

Good resale value

Reliability- few breakdowns

Parts price availability as well a tech who knows how or has the tools to repair/maintain

Reasonable fuel economy

Nice appearance and ride

Obviously trying to find one make that fits all of these would be difficult but please just post your what you feel is the best ones overall.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Oh, that's easy. Only one clear choice fits all of this criteria: a Donkey.:D
Frank

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Toyota 4 x 4, the old model
Land Rover, the old model that looks like an African Safari

GMC 4 x 4

Toyota Pick up

Ford 150

All with diesel engines.

If you live in the city: Toyota, Mistubishi Montero, or Honda seem to fit the bill.

Depends on what you want to do in life.

HB

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
It all depends on your budget of course, but personally I swear by Toyota, and more specifically, in the somewhat lower budget, the Tacoma or 4-Runner, and not the new models.

Both have the same engine, which is simple and every mechanic knows it. Spare parts, new and second-hand, are abundant.

The ride is nice, and appearance is personal. Anyways, it will get dented and scratched anyways, so I gave up on appearance.

If your budget is higher, go for the Landcruiser Prado, or the High Lux...

Toyota is not cheap here, but the resale value is great...

I also hear good things about the Nissan X-Terra and X-trail, for the same reasons mentioned above.

The Ford Explorer is also popular here, but unless you get a 4x4, resale value is poor. Also, from what I heard, maintenance is higher.

BelgianK

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
What about insurance? I.e., how much would it be for a Mitsubishi Montero or Toyota RAV per year?

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Agreed thye Toyata Tacoma 1999-2005 are really good vehicles for the DR. Sturdy no real problems easy to fix parts are everywhere realatively cheap, the 4cylinder is economical they just keep on going and going. Even the Carollas and Camry cars are the same sturdy everyday vehicles. You can also sell them and get a good price for it you wont be diasapointed!

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
On propane I can go From POP to PC and back for less than $100.00. Try that with your Ford Exploder!

100$ with my Explorer? From the Churchill to the Gomez and back, no problem!
That's a good ride. With the one I had before (97 or 98), I stopped at the Lincoln.

Barnab?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we had a montero sport and i really loved it: the ride was good, it could be fixed in any spot in the city withing a short period of time, it was comfy and big. the insurance was about 30k pesos a year (car was from 2002). i loved this car.

now miesposo has a toyota highlander. hybrid, i think. feels like driving a sofa, i swear. very comfy. but somehow not as cool as mitsubishi (that was a man's car, toyota is more girly ;) ). but uses little gas: POP-santiago-POP is about 800 pesos - with lots of driving in santiago. mitsubishi was about 500 pesos more for the same trip. but the insurance is lower even thou the car is newer.

i drive honda capa, also known as KUPA (means s**t in polish) because the car is as ugly as s**t :) it is a tiny little thing but nothing beats it in the city. easy to park, easy to fit everywhere, a real marvel. it has even gone to santiago and SD. but when i drove it to santiago my polish visitor had a very pale face and closed here eyes a lot :)

if you have such an option (a car for you, a car for missus) i would recommend montero and something in line of my kupa. one car to drive around in the city and another for longer trips. or when it rains - kupa is quite low...

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have a Dutch friend who loves his Toyota, but it took me a while to figure out which model he has. He kept calling it a Toyota Foreigner.

It finally sank in that he has a 4 Runner! LOL!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I haven't seen any compelling evidence yet in all of the suggestions mentioned here to indicate that one single vehicle on this island is as cost effective as getting around on my Donkey.

Frank

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I haven't seen any compelling evidence yet in all of the suggestions mentioned here to indicate that one single vehicle on this island is as cost effective as getting around on my Donkey.

Frank

Is it a Donkey Multistrada or the Donkey Monster?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Let me tell you about insurance: I got a ticket for no seat belt and I didn't have my insurance card with me. I took it to the palacio de Justicio when I went as instructed to get them to do whatever it they do to the ticket so it can be paid at the bank. I showed the insurance card to the judge explaining to her that I did have insurance, although I didn't have the card with me. She responded by asking if I had a cedula. When I replied in the negative she assured me that if I don't have a cedula I don't have insuranec!
Der Fish

now how can you argue with such pure logic???? LOL

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
How about Jeeps... I've seen no one drive one of those expenive jeeps in DR, specifically StoDgo.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you saw no expensive jeeps in santo domingo? maybe it was santo domingo, new mexico...

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Hillbilly hit it on the nail, but I would add Suzuki yipeta and the following strong caveats.

1) Buy only Japanese made cars made in Japan for the American market (NOT made in US, Malysia, etc., for the Japanese, Mexican or whatever market).

2) Buy only freshly imported from the US auction lots — never roaded in the DR (Doms don't change oil, etc.).

3) Buy Five year old imported Toyota or Mitsubishi which will have good used parts everywhere cheap and shade tree mechanics can fix them up better than dealers. You can fix well and cheaply with used parts fresh from Mexican chop shops taken from a JC Penny parking lot just last week, or scavanged off the highway wrecks here -- dig in the pile to pull out the shiny ones.

4) Never use a lawyer. Always let a reputable dealer do the paperwork. Throw it in as a last bargaining chip including some insurance.

5) Only insurance needed is liability, little more than 3000 pesos.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
you saw no expensive jeeps in santo domingo? maybe it was santo domingo, new mexico...

dv8,

You see, this is the problem with some folks..
One makes a simple statement and the accusations start flying.

Wouldn't it have been enough for you to say that there are plenty of jeeps around. I guess this would have been too easy...

dropshort

May 18, 2008
I would pick a vehicle that has readily available parts and mechanics that understand how to fix them.
The opposite is untenable. Any vehicle will break down eventually. If there are neither parts nor mechanics, there is a problem.