travel to las terrenas

hopeful65

Apr 3, 2012
I know this has been discussed before, but I'm looking for current comprehensive information.
Will be flying to Santo Domingo and then coming to Las Terrenas. Probably staying at Monte Placido (comments or thoughts on this place welcome). Will need transport around Las Terrenas so planning to rent a car either at the airport or in Las Terrenas after we arrive.

So interested in thoughts on whether to go by bus or gua gua or something like that to Las Terrenas and then rent a car, or whether to rent a car in Santo Domingo. Have read that the road over to Las Terrenas isn't easy, so maybe bus or gua gua better?

If you recommend bus or gua gua, please direct me to info on times and locations of these.
Thanks much.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Car rental might be cheaper at SDQ.

Drive out of SDQ heading to Sto Dom.... watch carefully on the right for a small sign - Samana. and exit right.
Toll road is 1 hour and 401 pesos.
At the end of the toll road follow the signs to the right to the airport and take the next toll road.
20 minutes later and 450 pesos later you're in Las terranas

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Car rental might be cheaper at SDQ.

Drive out of SDQ heading to Sto Dom.... watch carefully on the right for a small sign - Samana. and exit right.
Toll road is 1 hour and 401 pesos.
At the end of the toll road follow the signs to the right to the airport and take the next toll road.
20 minutes later and 450 pesos later you're in Las terranas

I noticed last time at airport a sign for Sixt Car rental company here. My only experience with that brand was excellent in all aspects. I think they are only in FL and ATL so far (European company I think). But great cars, prices, service!! Now, that may or may not have anything to do with a DR location.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi;
I live in Las Terrenas for part of the year. First of all rent a car near the airport. I would recommend C&C car rental. They are literally 2 minutes from SDQ and will bring the car to the airport. Call Edison at 1-809-646-4674. He speaks English and is very pleasant to deal with. Tell him Steve said to call. I would suggest an SUV of some type, depending on how many people are in your group. It is not a difficult ride to LT. Once you get to the new Santo Domingo-Samana Hwy it is a nice road all the way. Take the toll road all the way into LT. It is worth the extra toll you will pay. You used to have to go over a mountain road just the other side of Sanchez but with the opening of the new stretch of h'way from El Catey Airport to LT it is not necessary. Although, they have also repaved that and it is not a bad ride. I have never been to Monte Placido but I heard it is very nice. Enjoy your stay.

LTS

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I know this has been discussed before, but I'm looking for current comprehensive information.
Will be flying to Santo Domingo and then coming to Las Terrenas. Probably staying at Monte Placido (comments or thoughts on this place welcome). Will need transport around Las Terrenas so planning to rent a car either at the airport or in Las Terrenas after we arrive.

So interested in thoughts on whether to go by bus or gua gua or something like that to Las Terrenas and then rent a car, or whether to rent a car in Santo Domingo. Have read that the road over to Las Terrenas isn't easy, so maybe bus or gua gua better?

If you recommend bus or gua gua, please direct me to info on times and locations of these.
Thanks much.

DO NOT rent a car and drive it to LAS TERRENAS

TAKE THE guagua... It will cost you $10 instead of $70 rt which is what the trip costs by car

In Las Terrenas, if you need a car == which you may not since there are lots of 4X4 s to rent..and the conchoistos need the money and they are GREAT drivers

Sorry, LT Steve,... but I walk around LT and it is getting impossible to breathe on the streets..

honestly..

the SAMANA Parada is right in the Zona Colonial

Buses leave all day

If you flight comes in after 3 pm, take a cab and spend the night in the ZONA.. leave on the 1 30 bus which is as big as a Metro or Caribe tour bus... no kidding... all airconditioned and just two seats.... and luggage stored beneath the bus...

then you have really maxxed your vacation time since you have seen the Zona which is a UNESCO world heritage site.

My cousins just stayed at the Nicolas Ovando . which used to be Sofitel and $300 a night but is no British run..and about $130 a night.. including a massive British style breakfast

then you can have dinner at Mason de Bari

and stroll about at night

and take a walking tour in the AM and visit the Museo de Casas Reales -- which is the colonial period museum

walk the first paved street of the Americas

AGAIN PLEASE do not advise tourists to rent a car and drive to LT.. it is expensive, it is tiring, it is unnecessary

we are trying to keep Samana clean and green

the fewer cars up there the better

we already have far too many

hopeful65

Apr 3, 2012
thanks all for your thoughts. annie, I hear you about going green. I live in NYC and had no car for several years. But, I should mention that this is a spur of the moment trip after 3 deaths this year, the most recent of which was my partner's mother 2 weeks ago. We want to make things easy for ourselves. We do not want to hang out in Santo Domingo, not even for a night. I am all for going green. We shop at a food coop powered by solar energy where we reuse plastic bags, I take public transportation to work every day and have recycled for years. But right now, I need to make things easy. There are two of us, so the guagua would be $40 (plus a cab ride if I understand correctly). So, an extra $35 to make things easier would be worth it. The only other option would be for us to take the guagua and rent some sort of vehicle in Las Terrenas. If you can tell me how to take the guagua, that would help. My understanding is that we have to get ourselves to some other part of town which would include a cab ride.

hopeful65

Apr 3, 2012
Hi;
I would suggest an SUV of some type, depending on how many people are in your group.
LTS

Hi Steve - I've seen other posts from you and I appreciate your information. There are just two of us. Do you think an SUV is best?
Also, for anyone to answer. It is myself and my partner, both of us female. I have read that LT is gay friendly, but what does this mean? Can we hold hands on the beach without getting harassed? Any info on this subject would be great. Thanks.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
thanks all for your thoughts. annie, I hear you about going green. I live in NYC and had no car for several years. But, I should mention that this is a spur of the moment trip after 3 deaths this year, the most recent of which was my partner's mother 2 weeks ago. We want to make things easy for ourselves. We do not want to hang out in Santo Domingo, not even for a night. I am all for going green. We shop at a food coop powered by solar energy where we reuse plastic bags, I take public transportation to work every day and have recycled for years. But right now, I need to make things easy. There are two of us, so the guagua would be $40 (plus a cab ride if I understand correctly). So, an extra $35 to make things easier would be worth it. The only other option would be for us to take the guagua and rent some sort of vehicle in Las Terrenas. If you can tell me how to take the guagua, that would help. My understanding is that we have to get ourselves to some other part of town which would include a cab ride.

It sounds like you really want to rent the car.. no worries. You do not have to justify that! The ride is easy. The village is small and parking is tight but having a car does give you the options of finding all the little places. I always rent from Dollar

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Yes, welcome to LT. There are mile upon mile of beach and highland walks where you will not encounter a single car.

Unforturnately the only way to reach LT by gagua now is long and difficult with luggage.

Book a seat via Caribetours to pick up at exit from main road for Nagua, Samana etc. about 5km from airport. If the bus is full or if you have not booked its matter of chance.

Take taxi to this exit from airport.

Exit Caribetours coach at Sanchez and negociate taxi direct to LT or to gagua stop to LT.

If taking thegagua you will need another gagua or taxi to reach hotel.

It is possible to negociate taxi to go to your hotel at the airprort but it will be $$$ or your hotel can arrange pick-up with their own drivers.

If you plan just to relax by the beach, take occasional excursion, for 14 days, this may be economic rather than have a hire car in a car-park eating up $$$. You can rent bicycle, quad etc. by the day.

Back to the airport is simpler. The coach from LT drops you 8 km from SD airport and you take taxi to airport.

By the way leave the Hort Corture at home LT is very informal - dress for the beach.

pi2

Exit at

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

Las Terrenas is a very tolerant community. You will have no problem with any behavior in LT. With only two persons a small compact car would be fine. All of the roads have been redone and are in very good shape. It will take you about 2hrs.15min. driving at a reasonable speed. Get Pesos from an ATM at the airport. You will need them for tolls and gas. I would get about 5000 to start with. If you need more specific info you can send me a private message. Good Luck.

LTS

YounWha

Apr 4, 2012
Hi!

Do you happen to know how much it costs to rent a 2 person car per day? Also- how much gas does it need to get from SDQ to Las Terrenas? Do you need to pay for gas in pesos or do they accept CC or american $$?

Thanks!!

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
  1. Regular

<dl class="userinfo_extra"><dt>Join Date</dt> <dd>Apr 2004</dd><dt>Posts</dt> <dd>339</dd><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_thanks_postbit --><dd style="clear: both; font-weight: bold;" class="collapse">Post Thanks / Like </dd><dd><dl style="display: none;" id="c_thanks_post1044810"><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_thanks_postbit_stats --><dt>Likes (Given)</dt><dd>2</dd><!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_thanks_postbit_stats --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_thanks_postbit_stats --><dt>Likes (Received)</dt><dd>9</dd><!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_thanks_postbit_stats --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_thanks_postbit_stats --><dt>Dislikes (Given)</dt><dd>0</dd><!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_thanks_postbit_stats --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_thanks_postbit_stats --><dt>Dislikes (Received)</dt><dd>0</dd><!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_thanks_postbit_stats --></dl></dd><!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_thanks_postbit --></dl>
[h=2]
icon1.png
Express bus from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas and vice-versa[/h]
I recently took this bus to Santo Domingo with some sort of apprehension since no one really seemed to know much about it. I received all sorts of erroneous information when I was trying to find out about it, so here is the real thing:

The bus is a 38 passenger, airconditioned (no bathroom so make sure you go before you board) that takes off from El Limon at 6:30 a.m. but you have to be there 1/2 hour before.

It gets to Las Terrenas just minutes before 7:00 a.m. and leaves at 7:00 on the nose. The stop is in front of the cemetery. If you have luggage, give it to the guy to put it in the luggage compartment but make sure you get a number to retrieve it when you get off. You don't have to pay before you get on the bus, you just get on it and take a seat. The assistant will collect the money much later after you get under way. The cost is $350.00 Dominican pesos.
The bus stops at the end of the new highway when it gets to Santo Domingo where you can get off and catch a taxi to the airport.

Coming back from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas: Calle Baraona #129. Behind Plaza Lama. If you are not familiar with that part of town, you better have someone take you there, it's like a beehive and there are mini buses all over the place. There is a small sign that says "Samana". It took us a while to find it so you better ask someone.

The bus is seating on the street and ready to go. It leaves at 1:40 p.m. right on the nose. I got there 1/2 hour early and it was already pretty full. Same thing, you don't have to buy a ticket ahead of time, just get on the bus. You can also catch the bus at 2:00 p.m. at the entrance of the new highway to Samana but you better call ahead of time and ask them to reserve you a seat. You can call 809-481-2494 or 829-986-1887.

I found that the driver was a safe driver and both he and the assistant where very conscientious of a couple of children riding alone. They helped them out of the bus and made sure they found the people that were waiting for them.

And yes, the bus does take the new Boulevard del Atlantico!

Quote from Juniper

pi2​

<!-- -->
progress.gif
Reply Reply With Quote <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_thanks_postbit_entries_actions --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_thanks_postbit_entries_actionbit --> Like<!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_thanks_postbit_entries_actionbit --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_thanks_postbit_entries_actionbit --> Dislike<!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_thanks_postbit_entries_actionbit -->

<!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_thanks_postbit_entries_actions --> <!-- --> <!--
-->

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_thanks_postbit_entries -->Post Thanks / Like

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Hi!

Do you happen to know how much it costs to rent a 2 person car per day? Also- how much gas does it need to get from SDQ to Las Terrenas? Do you need to pay for gas in pesos or do they accept CC or american $$?

Thanks!!
Pay for everything in pesos. There is fraud plus theft of cc numbers. Reach a bank first to change your $$$.
gas about 6 dollars a gallon only. 3 gallons should be enough in small car.

pi2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
2000 pesos is about 10 gallons - figure fron there

Autopista is 65 miles long and is 10 minutes from airport(or less)

30 - 40 minutes more after the autopista

2 hours should do it and its a pretty drive and easy.

YounWha

Apr 4, 2012
Thanks Guys!!
So, Dollar rental is a good choice? is it generally safe to just park or is there a lot of car theft?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Unlucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do they often state the license plates and in this case even chasis number of vehicles in these things, it's something I notice now and then and not sure why on earth this is relevant to the report.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I can't really get the gist of it... what happened?
Why do you say 'Unlucky"?

I can't pick up ther nuances... but I did the chassis numbers!!:)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Numbers, no names

Why do they often state the license plates and in this case even chasis number of vehicles in these things (...) why on earth this is relevant to the report.

It is just to distract people and not give the names. :rolleyes:

donP