Arriving into Santo DOmingo LATE-- need to get to El Portillo

YounWha

Apr 4, 2012
Dear All,

I have browsed through the threads, but haven't seen anything recently re: travel from the Santo Domingo Airport to El Portillo (just outside of Las Terrenas).
Unfortunately, we (2 people) will be arriving into Santo Domingo late afternoon and will need ground transport later around 4:00PM/ 4:30PM. I understand the drive is about 3 hrs?? (quite unfortunate, but what can we do).

Could you all please recommend the best and most economical way to travel? Not sure what options we have. We would also prefer to not rent a car.
We're staying for 6 days and will need the reverse travel info to return to the airport as well.

Looking forward to this trip and hope this process isn't too hectic!!

Thanks much all!!
Youn Wha

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Stay 1 night in Boca Chica and travel in morning or have hotel arrange a pick-up are options.

Reverse travel will not be a problem.

pi2

YounWha

Apr 4, 2012
Hi Pi2
Thanks for responding. Unfortunately i bought a package so we would end up losing a night if we stayed in Boca Chica.
I'm researching rental cars now... seems like this might be the only way to get there since we arrive too late for any buses... guagua's or caribe...
:(

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Arrange the car in advance - they will pick you up at the airport
LTSteve gave you Edison's number at C&C Car Rental 809-646-4674

Stop being nervous.

You will clear customs quickly - its not a big airport or big deal.
The car will meet you - take you to sign the papers and you're on your way.

Should arrive before 7-7:30........ el Portillo is a FRACTION past LT.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
wont that be super expensive?!! and.. 4 hrs in a taxi ayeyiyi!

The Taxi will be cheaper than alternative options of staying in the capital. You can arrange a cheaper transit than airport taxi prices, it is not a big deal as you have little to no alternative. Weigh up the options, you will be surprised how cheap a taxi can be found for. Nothing can be done about the distance, that was your decsision.

Ashley Bishop

Apr 4, 2012
COCOTOURS! Simple...just go to their website...Dominican airport transfers, fill in the transport request...get a quote and if you like what you see...book it! Simples..Their fleet of modern minivans are comfortable, safe and reliable..they can whisk you up to El Portillo way in time for breakfast...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As of today. its still bright enough here at 6:45pm to drive.

Arrival at 7pm in LT/el Portilo would be safe

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
As of today. its still bright enough here at 6:45pm to drive.

Arrival at 7pm in LT/el Portilo would be safe

Caribe tours last coach for Samana leaves SD at 4.00 and there is a stop at the turn-off for Samana quite near the airport.
Need to phone caribe tours and find out if it is possible to book from this stop to Sanchez. The bus should pass at 4.30. When you get to Sanchez its a taxi to Portillo. About 40 mins.
Also can you change booking for an earlier plane.

pi2

YounWha

Apr 4, 2012
Thanks--- Thinking taxi would be a good idea.
I'm getting a lot of mixed quotes for taxis... one says $40 USD one way, another says $175 USD one way...
difficult to know which is more accurate given that is a huge difference.

Just for the record, I am not nervous, and i booked this trip online and assumed they would put me in to the closest airport... come to find out the US can't even fly into El Catey. Flights aren't changeable.
It is my first trip to this type of country, so i like to do my homework and be prepared. I only have 5 full days and want to enjoy them to their fullest.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It won't be the $40 for a 2hr+ trip and then the return drive.

$175 sounds more like it.
Maybe you'll get lucky and find somebody from LT who is getting dropped off at SDQ and can catch the return trip.

Be sure to get prices from both ends... that way you might catch somebody going back to LT

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Work it out on the best to Bavaro scale @ RD5,500, and Jarabacoa @4,500 (although I hear it has been had for RD$3,000, :speechles), I don't know the LT run.

YounWha

Apr 4, 2012
COCOTOURS! Simple...just go to their website...Dominican airport transfers, fill in the transport request...get a quote and if you like what you see...book it! Simples..Their fleet of modern minivans are comfortable, safe and reliable..they can whisk you up to El Portillo way in time for breakfast...

Thanks Ashley... :)
I have submitted a request twice but no response!! You don't happen to have an e-mail or contact person do you?