4x4 rentals

tash

Apr 5, 2012
I've noticed a few suggestions to rent a small 4x4 to get around on the peninsula... we'll be arriving to POP and making our way by bus to the peninsula and then spending the majority of our two weeks there before heading to Santo Domingo for a few days and then flying out of SDQ. I'd rather not rent a vehicle for the whole trip, and instead would just like to have the freedom of having one for a day or two to explore. Is that a feasible option and where is the best place to do that from? At this point we're most interested in spending time in Las Terrenas and Las Galeras rather than Samana.

Thanks for any input. :)

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I've noticed a few suggestions to rent a small 4x4 to get around on the peninsula... we'll be arriving to POP and making our way by bus to the peninsula and then spending the majority of our two weeks there before heading to Santo Domingo for a few days and then flying out of SDQ. I'd rather not rent a vehicle for the whole trip, and instead would just like to have the freedom of having one for a day or two to explore. Is that a feasible option and where is the best place to do that from? At this point we're most interested in spending time in Las Terrenas and Las Galeras rather than Samana.

I usually rent a quad from jessie when in LT. A friend rented from the place at the corner of del carmen and 27 in the plaza parking lot. Not recommended. His quad had issues. It would not accelerate when first using the accelerator then would accelerate rapidly. It was damn near impossible to smoothly start driving. Almost all or nothing. We brought it back and the owners were useless. The guy laughed and said my buddy din't know how to ride one. We switched quads for a while and my buddy had zero issues with mine, while I wanted to drive his into the sea.

My buddy got a "discount" for paying cash up front, which in retrospect was not smart. So, the ownere refused to change the quad for another and refused a refund. He actually said he already spent the cash!

Have not hd any issues with Jessie's service. Though last night in the rain the quad would not start. Some locals worked on it for like 20 minutes saying it was the fuse. They found a piece of wire to jump start it. We drove it back to hotel. Funny thing is it now starts fine. If a fuse blows, it blows. Unless of course these guys had taken the fuse out and then put on a show with "helping" me get it started.

At least they didn't also steal the gas. My buddy also had his gasoline stolen when he was here in december.

It has been raining like crazy yesterday and today and rained almost our entire trip in december so the quads can be less than ideal. In good weather I much prefer them over a jeepeta etc.

Don Case

Jun 1, 2011
www.monteplacido.com

Look up CARIBE TOURS for bus transfer. If you don't want to rent vehicucle whole trip you need to be sure to stay in town or close to town center if not and further out of town you have a relaible public transport. They call them guaguas and motoconchos cheap and fun to take..
Look up the FAQs on our web site htt://montepleacido.com and our FAQS that can help preapare your venue to LT
Don

Go to ou

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
Last Oct. we stayed 3 nights in Las Terrenas at Playa Colibri. We rented a 4-wheeler for just one day through them, they brought it to us and came to pick it up the next day. We drove it around to site see and drove it to see El Limon. If I remember it cost 1900/2000 pesos for 24 hours. The quad looked to be new and we never had any issues with it. I do have some photo's if you'd like to see, just let me know.