Some new places to consider when looking to buy into RE in SD...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Torre RRY
Evaristo Morales
10 floors

01.jpg

385553_10150593623916125_45344446124_11258216_532008953_n.jpg

Torre CNP 18p
Avenida Cesar Nicol?s Penson

423134_311777122208887_126124237440844_805866_1714824924_n.jpg

429660_311777832208816_126124237440844_805871_612234731_n.jpg

Naco

1282357.jpg

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Where is this? Cleveland? :)

I'll take colmado with plastic chairs any day over these towers that divide the population into 'us' v 'them'.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Or buy here and hobnob with Pichardo on the weekends

xnge3p.jpg

Frostproof is a city in Polk County, Florida, United States.
The city is located in southern Polk County on the Lake Wales Ridge.
The population was 2,975 at the 2000 census.
As of 2004, the population recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau is 2,954.
It is part of the Lakeland–Winter Haven Metropolitan Statistical Area.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Good Morning Pichardo,

I don't know what part of the country you live in, but in the Santo Domingo that I live in, the majority of people definitely DO NOT live in ugly 'modern' sky scraper apartment complexes.

Have a look at some of these helicopter photos for some real perspective:

SANTO DOMINGO desde el aire 006 - El blog de playasRD

Best Regards

Are you saying Santo Domingo should not have highrises if so why not? What is wrong with having options? You say you like sitting in plastic chairs at a colmado, I can find you over 20 million people who will not think that is fun, but think sitting on their balcony looking at city lights at night, ocean, or a mountain view total "HEAVEN" Having floor to ceiling windows with a view of the city of SD or the ocean, I do not think that is a bad thing if you have the money. The colmado lifestyle Hmmm!!! I going to say NO!!!

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

I'll take colmado with plastic chairs any day over these towers that divide the population into 'us' v 'them'.

Don't look at it like that us vs them, rather than stand on the sidewalk look up and say to yourself "WOW!!! one day that penthouse will be all mine"

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Frank -- Ouch! Sticks and stones my friend. jaja!

JMB773 -- I have no objections with people having 'options'. When I first came here, I chose to come to a city that had a 'village' feel. Everybody on my street knows everyone else. They are friendly. We chitchat. etc.

'Tower' living takes all that away. Because of crime, or whatever reason, people feel they have to build these big gates in the sky, and avoid the street entirely. Fast forward a few years and you'll have any other nameless, faceless metropolitan city in America....

The reason I call them 'so called elite', is because I've met some of the people that live in these buildings -- they're not exactly refined. They're just burros with ill gotten money. Slowly transforming the skyline of SD into gated silo'd towers, sellling out the village culture one construction project at a time...

Bueno...

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
The buildings are built for a market that is growing and needs servicing.
If you can't live there, or don't want to, so be it. However, any reference to the 99% and the lame mantra we have heard over the past 2 years begs forgiveness for lack of any better solution.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Frank -- Ouch! Sticks and stones my friend. jaja!

JMB773 -- I have no objections with people having 'options'. When I first came here, I chose to come to a city that had a 'village' feel. Everybody on my street knows everyone else. They are friendly. We chitchat. etc.

'Tower' living takes all that away. Because of crime, or whatever reason, people feel they have to build these big gates in the sky, and avoid the street entirely. Fast forward a few years and you'll have any other nameless, faceless metropolitan city in America....

The reason I call them 'so called elite', is because I've met some of the people that live in these buildings -- they're not exactly refined. They're just burros with ill gotten money. Slowly transforming the skyline of SD into gated silo'd towers, sellling out the village culture one construction project at a time...

Bueno...

I see what you are saying, but the highrise world and barrio world will never cross paths under any circumstance. They are two different worlds. If a person buys a highrise apartment in the sky they want nothing to do with the barrios. You like the environment where everybody knows everybody and chitchat.

I live in a highrise and the environment is "Mind Your Own Business", but this makes some people happy you would rather talk to your neighbors and have a good relationship with them. In the highrise world everything is HI & BYE.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I see what you are saying, but the highrise world and barrio world will never cross paths under any circumstance. They are two different worlds. If a person buys a highrise apartment in the sky they want nothing to do with the barrios. You like the environment where everybody knows everybody and chitchat.

I live in a highrise and the environment is "Mind Your Own Business", but this makes some people happy you would rather talk to your neighbors and have a good relationship with them. In the highrise world everything is HI & BYE.

There is still another class. I live in Bella Vista with the many nice apartments, I still go to the Dume Colamdo, as do many other upperclass individuals. This Colmado is surrounded by 50k plus vehicles most nights.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Good Morning Pichardo,

I don't know what part of the country you live in, but in the Santo Domingo that I live in, the majority of people definitely DO NOT live in ugly 'modern' sky scraper apartment complexes.

Have a look at some of these helicopter photos for some real perspective:

SANTO DOMINGO desde el aire 006 - El blog de playasRD

Best Regards

This link shows a high tower that it looks as if the construction has stopped for a long time.
It is on George W. close to Maximo Gomez... Does anyone know why the construction stopped?

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
There is still another class. I live in Bella Vista with the many nice apartments, I still go to the Dume Colamdo, as do many other upperclass individuals. This Colmado is surrounded by 50k plus vehicles most nights.

I hear you and this is fine..... One goes to hang out where the action is... one then goes back home to his/her retreat.
There is nothing wrong with going to the "Colmadones" and hanging out in the ghettos. That does not mean you have to live in the ghetto, if you have means.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
This link shows a high tower that it looks as if the construction has stopped for a long time.
It is on George W. close to Maximo Gomez... Does anyone know why the construction stopped?

Yes I know that tower very well, it's been stalled for well over 13 years. The owner of this property was scammed out of a substantially large amount of money.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008

You do have a point. I was just in Panama. Only for three days so I am no expert on Panama. Nor I am I an expert on city planning in Santo Domingo after living here for some years. But huge Miami/US looking high rises right next to very poor areas does not look nice. Urban planning should be more diverse. I am not saying it is to much now. I think these towers are needed but the risk of a big division between people is there.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Are these hi rises built to earthquake and hurricane standards? I wont live higher than I can jump so I am able to go out the window when the "big earthquake" hits Santo Domingo or Santiago. Never even mind the concerns for a high rise fire. Is the local fire department equipped with high rise rescue equipment and training? Big ladder trucks? Thought not. No thanks.