Considering a move to the SD area with a special needs child

DR Dave

Apr 6, 2012
Guys/Gals;
I'm considering moving to the DR this summer for a job and interested in info on international schools. I have a 9 YO with Autism (Aspergers/High Functioning) and my main concern is a good school for him within driving distance of the AILI Airport (NW side of SD). We like the Guavaberry (Juan Dolio) area, but not sure about schools, shopping, etc. We're from the states & he speaks no spanish but he's extremely intelligent and will learn fast.

Thanks for your input!!

Dave

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There is a very good school for children with autism and learning disabilities in Santo Domingo. It offers residential full time and part time or simply attendance in the day.

Cenaudi Tel: 809 482 4013 or 809 863 4686

Juan Dolio has an international school with classes in english but not for autistic kids and few if any of the teachers actually have teaching qualifications, nor the qualifications to assist special needs.
Shopping is fine in San Pedro de Macoris around 15 mins from Juan Dolio.

Matilda

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
OP - I sent you a PM with details of a good mainstream school and a psychologist who works with special needs children in Santo Domingo.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It would be very time consuming to come to SD from JD every day.
JD,"Guavaberry" is VERY nice,as is "Metro Country Club".
I saw a story on the "Nightly News" from the USA last night,about a 24 year old man,with "High Functioning Ashbergers".He has a Master's in "Computers,and has worked for the "Best Buy","GEEK SQUAD" for the last year.He is engaged to be married.
Best of everything for you,and your son!
Cris Colon

DR Dave

Apr 6, 2012
Guys;
Thanks for all the info! Cris - Yep, he's an extremely intelligent little guy. I brought him with me on one of my trips & we spent alot of time in Punta Cana. He loved it & talks all the time about wanting to come back down. If I can find him a good school, I wouldn't hesitate to take the job.

I've heard The Carol Morgan School is a good one, but I don't know whether they have any special needs programs.

sflores

Aug 22, 2012
Guys;
Thanks for all the info! Cris - Yep, he's an extremely intelligent little guy. I brought him with me on one of my trips & we spent alot of time in Punta Cana. He loved it & talks all the time about wanting to come back down. If I can find him a good school, I wouldn't hesitate to take the job.

I've heard The Carol Morgan School is a good one, but I don't know whether they have any special needs programs.

WOW, I have been trying very hard to get info. on any school with any kind of special education and have found it extremely hard. My son isn't autistic but does have special needs (its a rare form of dyslexia-nuerological) he is currently being tested. He is in school in an inclusion class, is fully functional and very intelligent he just learns at a slower pace as far as reading however; He is excellent in math. I too am planning to move to D.R. In the Punta Cana area but to no prevail. If you happen get any info. on the schools can you be so kind to share.....:eek:

Thank You