living in DR, getting married with a marriage contract...

devotion

Apr 6, 2011
living in DR since 4 years, I want to know if it's possible to get married with a marriage contract like it's done in Canada or in US?

Oct 28, 2011
I am not a lawyer but it depends who you are marrying!If it's with a Dominican, don't bother...you'd be wasting your time. Otherwise you could get an English speaking atty. to draw up a contract and probably have it validated at your embassy.

Feb 7, 2007
I think it was mentioned here that prenups were not legal in the DR or something like that...you better search the board

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
"Prenup"

If you are getting married in the Dominican Republic, the separate property agreement must be prepared by a Dominican Notary BEFORE the marriage (that’s why it’s called a “prenuptial” agreement) and handed over to the Civil Registry Officer (“Oficial de Estado Civil”) at the marriage.
I am assuming that you’ll want the agreement to be enforceable in the Dominican Republic. If you don’t care about this but are only interested in its validity in your home country, then you’ll have to consult an attorney from home.

The prenuptial agreement is as simple or as complicated as the future spouses want it to be. A straight separation agreement is a very simple document. It will state in legal terms that whatever a spouse acquired before or during marriage will belong to him/her exclusively and that assets in a spouse’s name belong to that spouse exclusively.

If the spouses do not sign a prenuptial, their assets are governed by the community-property provisions of the Civil Code (Articles 1400 to 1496). Spouses are 50-50 owners of all matrimonial assets. These assets consist of the following:

1) All moveable properties (in essence, everything but real estate) belonging to either spouse at the time of the marriage or acquired by either of them during marriage, even by inheritance or gift unless the testator or donor has expressed otherwise.

2) All income from properties belonging exclusively for whatever reason to either spouse.

3) All immovable properties (real estate) acquired by either spouse during marriage.

To translate this into simple terms, without a “prenup,” whatever money, stocks, bonds, vehicles, credits, etc. (everything but real estate) you may have on the day of the marriage, is split 50-50 with your spouse when you say “yes, I do”. If your parents leave you $1,000,000 in their will and they do not expressly or implicitly state that this is for you alone, and not for your spouse, then your spouse will get 50%. (Fifteen years ago, I actually dealt with a case like this involving an American couple living in the DR).

You may ask why this is so. The answer is that we are, I believe, the only country in the world still governed by the original provisions of the Napoleonic Code, which dates from 1804, a time when wealth was almost exclusively “immovable”, i.e., real estate, and therefore it was not considered of importance that all “moveables” be part of the matrimonial community. In France, the code was amended a long time ago to include only properties acquired during marriage as community property.

If your future husband is planning on moving to Canada or the US check to make sure that a prenup drawnup in the DR is legal there.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Pre Nups are not only legal in the DR, but they are iron clad if done right. Not like in other places. But this is for marriage, not living together.

If you will live in Canada it would be better to marry there with a Pre Nup in Canada though.

devotion

Apr 6, 2011
Thanks everybody, we are not planning at all to go live somewhere else but I will check anyway just in case....if it's valid in Canada.