Planning a trip to Samana Penn./New to the board

gossamertatters

Apr 11, 2012
Hello Everyone. I am planning a trip with my husband to the Samana Penn. and just figured it might be amazing to talk to some people that live there or have traveled there extensively. This seemed the better place after lonely planet.

Thanks in Advance for information, stories, tips ect.

Cheers

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We have always thought it was one of the most beautiful places on earth. We used to spend vacation time there.

It now has hotels and such that were not there before, but there will be people on these pages that can fill you in.

You should enjoy your stay!!

HB

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hello, You came to the right place. I like this house about 7 miles from Las Galeras: LA CASA DEL MAR . SAMAN. R. Dominicana - home. We have stayed there I think 4 times and is a perfect getaway house in Samana. In front, a gorgeous view of the sea and whales when they're there, (bring binocs and you will see tons of whales- we saw I'd estimate 50) and in back of the house a great, picturesque rural setting. You need a 4-Wheel drive car to access the house.

I really like Playa Fronton. It is the most beautiful beach I have ever been to. Many guidebooks recommend Rincon, which is also a good beach, but my fave is Playa Fronton and nearby Playa Madama. You can take a horse trip to Playa Madama, which we did, and was wonderful. There are caves there which you can explore. Playa Fronton is best accessed by boat. Bring a picnic lunch, or have a guide prepare lunch for you on the beach. You can get a boat to Fronton for around $75 or so, and can also go to Playa Madama on the boat tour.

Go to El Cabito. It is one of a kind. Expect to wait a while for dinner. They cook with wood. Also I like El Lusitania. It is a good restaurant also in Las Galeras.

What I have recommended is in or around Las Galeras. If you want more things to do, many go to Las Terrenas on the Samana Peninsula. If you want a more relaxed, before mainstream tourism hit the area atmosphere, go to Las Galeras. Or best, plan to visit both for a few days.