New La Sirena

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It is being built on "Dominican Time", which translates to Never.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Uh!? Not! If anything the people behind La Sirena once they more the first shovel to the opening of the doors for biz, the time is about record for these types of constructions...

Let us know when the first shovel goes in, if it ever does.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
For the first time I am hoping he may be right. And in record time, whatever that is! Good job Pichardo. Stand by with the camera for evidence to all the nay sayers. Go Sosua-Cabarete. The finest destination in the Dominican Republic. After all they built one in Puerto Plata. Plenty of gringos waiting with $ who are tired of the drive to Puerto Plata and really tired of being screwed by Playero.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Why would they compete with themselves? Tons of people from Sosua and Cabarete go to La Sirena in PP now.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
...because tons of people live outside of Cabarete and Sosua and hate to make the trek to La Sirena. A La Sirena in Sosua/Cabarete will do quite well providing Playero doesn't step up its game. Playero can do it...they have new products all the time and are (gasp) listening to their customers. But La Sirena has the buying power Playero can never compete with.

My prediction (because I know you are just dying to know it) is that Playero will be the place to go for really cool stuff such as fine wine, gourmet foods, super fresh veggies and the like. La Sirena is where you will go when you need 500 rolls of toilet paper, 2 cases of floor cleaner, 15 bags of dog food and the other stuff the larger facilities such as Millenium, Velero Beach and (yes) those damn huge villas in the boonies need to consume.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
speaking of la serena I noticed yesterday that they had ballpark all beef angus franks.

Thegreenguy

Dec 12, 2011
Please oh please open the store and even it they sell food items only will be so good. I am also tired of having to depend on Playero and some of the pricing is crazy. I for one have my fingers crossed that it happens.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Please oh please open the store and even it they sell food items only will be so good. I am also tired of having to depend on Playero and some of the pricing is crazy. I for one have my fingers crossed that it happens.

My sentiments exactly. Let us hope they start work soon.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
There will never be a "La Sirena" in Sosua...way too close to the one in Puerto Plata...

T.E.

I disagree.

Why would I spent a 1,000 rds on gasoline to drive to POP, in order to only save a couple of hundred rds? Plus the waste of time.

If they were here, I would go there several times per week. As it is now, I maybe go once every 2 months.

And at the moment, if I have to take the drive, I prefer to go to STI for Nacional, Ochoa, etc...

If La Sirena tell me where they are planning on building it, I will help with the first shovel (only the first one though, I might get tired otherwise...lol)

BelgianK

Thegreenguy

Dec 12, 2011
I totally agree with you "belgiank" and with the way people drive here the less I have to the better. I did hear that Ochoa are looking at Puerto Plata has a place to open a store. Now that will be the cream on top of the coffee if that happens.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

We have had the price comparisons before on here - Playero vs Janets vs City market.

Yesterday, the Charmin' toilet paper was 87 pesos everywhere except Janets... 125 there

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I never drive to Puerto Plata only to go to La Sirena...the cost of gas and wear and tear on my truck is just not worth the savings. Their prices aren't that great anyway, but I do welcome the new one that will be built here in Sosua...by Christmas I am told.....just not sure of the year!!!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We have had the price comparisons before on here - Playero vs Janets vs City market.

Yesterday, the Charmin' toilet paper was 87 pesos everywhere except Janets... 125 there

Did you perhaps pick the one thing that is more expensive at Janet's? A better comparison would be between non-imported items.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

You could kill two birds with one stone if you started growing and harvesting corn for your fuel and hygiene requirements.